Wrexham

Talk about other football teams at all levels. AND ANY Glos City related threads, even if talking about the groundsharing.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Are they finally on the way back?

Up to second now and nearly 8,300 there yesterday to see them beat Salford 5-1.

I could certainly see them doing a Lincoln if they get promoted.
Shade
Salford losing at Barrow too :lol:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:Salford losing at Barrow too :lol:
If Barrow hold on that is three defeats in a row for Salford, and four in the last five. A great festive treat for fans nationwide.

Come on Jack Barthram!

Funny Tweet about Salford’s overpaid Rooney in today’s game: https://mobile.twitter.com/E10Mess/stat ... 3556635649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Red Duke
I watched the last 30 minutes. three good goals and a win for Barrow.

Somewhat surprised how few were in the away end considering that Salford are doing well in the league.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Red Duke wrote:I watched the last 30 minutes. three good goals and a win for Barrow.

Somewhat surprised how few were in the away end considering that Salford are doing well in the league.
Because they are a contrived creation of a club with no real history or fan base.
Shade
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Red Duke wrote:I watched the last 30 minutes. three good goals and a win for Barrow.

Because they are a contrived creation of a club with no real history or fan base.
Soubds somewhat familiar ;)
leohoenig
While they do have history, the parallels between Salford and FGR (or R&D, etc) are greater than RCS suggests. In both cases, the club had existed for years at a lower level before a sudden increase of finances from a single person (Peter Lim in the case of Salford) plus a publicity machine has led to an improvement in fortunes.

The top eight of the Conference shows an interesting combination of teams
Two "traditional" members of the Football League
Two newly monied clubs
Four clubs with a good non-League history, but which you would not expect to be trying to get into the league.

While the top four are all full time, I am less certain about the next quartet

P.S. My definition of "traditional" football league members would be the 92 members at the end of 1986-7 season (when Lincoln was the first club to suffer automatic relegation), with possible mention for the three survivors out of the previous seven post-war departures from the League.

The seven were/are
New Brighton - not re-elected 1951 (replaced by Workington). Played in Lancashire Comb and Cheshire League until 1981
Gateshead - replaced by Peterborough in 1960. Folded 1973
Accrington Stanley - folded in 1962 and replaced by Oxford United
Bradford (Park Avenue) - replaced by Cambridge United in 1970, folded in 1974
Barrow - replaced by Hereford United in 1972
Workington - replaced by Wimbledon (MK Dons) in 1977
Southport - replaced by Wigan Athletic in 1978

The grounds were also very fixed in those days. Apart from QPR's two periods at White City, League clubs did not change venues until 1988 when Scunthorpe moved. Since then more than a quarter of the 92 have changed venues