Gloucester City - start of a new era...?

Talk about other football teams at all levels. AND ANY Glos City related threads, even if talking about the groundsharing.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
So looks like City are splashing the cash on big names, with three unveiled this week.

Good luck to them but my fear it is it will end in tears. Will be a shame to build the new stadium then go bust.

Still, they have made their bed now and other fans won’t be sad to see it go belly up. In fact City fans are already revelling in the fact other clubs are rightly viewing them with the disdain afforded to all teams who spend above their means to try and climb the lower league ladder. Some pride before the fall can be seen on the City Fanzine twitter page:

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheVOTTE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SHANDY VOR
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:So looks like City are splashing the cash on big names, with three unveiled this week.

Good luck to them but my fear it is it will end in tears. Will be a shame to build the new stadium then go bust.

Still, they have made their bed now and other fans won’t be sad to see it go belly up. In fact City fans are already revelling in the fact other clubs are rightly viewing them with the disdain afforded to all teams who spend above their means to try and climb the lower league ladder. Some pride before the fall can be seen on the City Fanzine twitter page:

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheVOTTE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Your post is based on the premise that we are spending beyond our means, and will pay the price. The truth is that we are sticking to a tight budget and our latest signing had better offers elsewhere (financially).

I can see why you or other CTFC fans would want us to fail, but the truth is that instead of just surviving season on season we finally have something to look forward to with a new ground and a competitive team playing on it.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
SHANDY VOR wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:So looks like City are splashing the cash on big names, with three unveiled this week.

Your post is based on the premise that we are spending beyond our means, and will pay the price. The truth is that we are sticking to a tight budget and our latest signing had better offers elsewhere (financially).

I can see why you or other CTFC fans would want us to fail, but the truth is that instead of just surviving season on season we finally have something to look forward to with a new ground and a competitive team playing on it.
I don’t want you to fail. I hope you reach the EFL and become our main rival for best Gloucestershire team! This is why I also wanted to help fundraise for the new stadium and to help you get back to Gloucester years ago.

I hope you do enjoy next season. And I hope even more strongly that AP’s season ticket targets are met, that Soldi doesn’t experience the same fate as his father’s business and can enjoy subsequent seasons with a team to support.

Here’s hoping to a GCAFC vs CTFC in the 2020/21 FA Cup First Round at the new Meadow Park.
SHANDY VOR
Hear, hear!
Andrew GCAFC Fan
During our time away from Gloucester, we have gained Promotion via the Play-Offs to the National League North. We have also had two FA Cup First Round Proper appearances (both played at your ground). Managers such as David Mehew, Tim Harris and Mike Cook have played a key role in keeping us at the level we are at. We have played at a number of football grounds in and around the County. We have worked to a limited budget, with limited advertising and no bar/refreshment takings. With New Meadow Park on the horizon, it is like a blank canvas. It is a brilliant opportunity to build the Club back up, build the fan base up with the team hopefully doing well. With Gloucester Quays now round the corner, may be able to attract people to say first go to the Quays then onto football. CTFC and FGR have both had fantastic rises to the Football League. Maybe one day we can join you
longmover
City fans do you reckon you could get some fans from kingsholm seeing as the rugby club seem to be in a bit of a mess at the moment?
SHANDY VOR
There will always be those who want their sport fix when their main interest is playing away, and they can't/don't want to travel so I reckon we might start to supplement our core fanbase not only with a new or returning generation of supporters, but also 'floating' interest.

We need to maintain momentum, and results are key to this. I think that is why we are getting a bigger budget for this year, speculate to accumulate through increased income! We are hardly the boom and bust club being portrayed by some, we are in some ways just catching up with others and now have the means to do so.

After 13 years where our target has been simply to avoid relegation, we can have a different perspective this season, and my god it feels good.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I just hope it works out. There are too many clubs who went to the wall after fans spent a year or two feeling good when they should have been asking questions about where the money came from.

How confident are you of ‘the means to do so?’ Are those means from club income or from external funding from a couple of individuals?
SHANDY VOR
I don't have the figures but trust in what we are being told by the same guy who told us he would deliver us a stadium, and is doing just that.

We have been close to the wall you are talking about for so long we constantly seem to have been stuck in the shade. It got so bad at one stage Michael Ricketts was going to join us.

As our exile has prolonged we've reached a choice. Go to the wall, or step into the light. We've chosen the latter.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
AP’s latest...saying the Club could live with a reduced capacity of 900 :lol: :lol:

I see he also confirms that City cannot start the season if games are behind closed doors for financial reasons.

That does beg the question of why risk signing so many players now when you don’t know whether you will be afford to play games or not.

If the National League decide to play behind closed doors, what will City do?

Anyway, for those on here unfamiliar with developments at Meadow Park, the latest blog has some photos of the ground and stands.

http://www.gloucestercityafc.com/aps-meadow-park-blog/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Interesting. As per every week AP slips in the odd line to his blog which trigger early warning signs but go unnoticed in the wider context.

This week:

“The business model I’ve based the club around this coming season is designed with an average gate of 850 per home game.”

Fair enough if they achieve that but 850 sounds incredibly ambitious to me. Say a very respectable 500 is achieved...decent by City’s level but what would that do for the Club financial position and sustainability being so short of the budgeted amount?

http://www.gloucestercityafc.com/aps-meadow-park-blog/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SHANDY VOR
Not at all. 850 average seems very achievable given the fact that the first game is likely to attract a very big crowd, and I reckon subsequent crowds will be four figured. Over the season, even if we have dips that should equate to that.

Of course it all depends on having crowds allowed in!
paperboy
SHANDY VOR wrote:Not at all. 850 average seems very achievable given the fact that the first game is likely to attract a very big crowd, and I reckon subsequent crowds will be four figured. Over the season, even if we have dips that should equate to that.

Of course it all depends on having crowds allowed in!
Yes very achievable in normal times when the first home match would attract a huge crowd.
Hope they start well and support continues throughout the season.
Fans like visiting new grounds and the artificial pitch should help tilt the odds in their favour results-wise.
I wonder how many fans will filter back to their home town club and away from the Robins and FGR?

The concern will be if things don't go well and AP decides to bail out.
SHANDY VOR
Thanks Paperboy. Interesting year for City, looking up rather than down. And with hope for the future.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Pretty frustrating and downright bad news from Meadow Park today.

The in-progress buildings were broken into and stuff (not sure if construction equipment or bar fittings etc) stolen overnight.

https://mobile.twitter.com/GCAFCofficia ... 9193013249" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There really are some classless barstards out there.
asl
Boilers, shower fittings and a roll of lead, amongst other things, I gather.

Sent from my SM-G9860 using Tapatalk
Andrew GCAFC Fan
Was gutted to read at what happened at New Meadow Park last night. Was glad to hear that the pitch was untouched. At the moment, the pitch has a Shock Pad layer (think that it is what it is called) which goes underneath the green grass surface. The Shock Pad layer needs a week to set, if anyone walks on it, the surface will be ruined/affected.
It is never dull supporting GCAFC, we seem to get obstacles thrown at us. But we have come too far in the Stadium Construction to let this affect us. We have had highs and lows, losing to you in 1996/97 in the race for Promotion to the Conference. Seen us get relegated to Southern League Western Division, where Chris Burns rebuilt the team resigning ex GCAFC youth team players. We later got Promotion to the National League North. This occured during exile and have remained at this level through our time in exile.
Hoping that the Club can grow and progress at New Meadow Park.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote:Boilers, shower fittings and a roll of lead, amongst other things, I gather.

No doubt the thieves have already sold the lead for no questions asked cash in hand to a local merchant. Summers.
Andrew GCAFC Fan
Looking Positive on and off the pitch for GCAFC. New Meadow Park progressing well, pitch is now in place. It almost feels like the ground is complete. Made another signing last week, looking a strong team. Team totally changed, (and management), from the one that started last season. Been signing experienced players for this level..
Expectations are altering. Before we were looking at safety / maybe towards midtable. Now, maybe a push towards the play-offs. Hopefully we can have a strong start to the season, may have one or two blips at the start as the team gets more used to each other. Exciting times ahead.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Andrew GCAFC Fan wrote:Looking Positive on and off the pitch for GCAFC. New Meadow Park progressing well, pitch is now in place. It almost feels like the ground is complete. Made another signing last week, looking a strong team. Team totally changed, (and management), from the one that started last season. Been signing experienced players for this level..
Expectations are altering. Before we were looking at safety / maybe towards midtable. Now, maybe a push towards the play-offs. Hopefully we can have a strong start to the season, may have one or two blips at the start as the team gets more used to each other. Exciting times ahead.
How long will the money last if attendances are restricted or if AP’s budgeted attendances of 800 don’t materialise?

I share your hope and ambition, but I would urge caution. Too many fans get on the ‘exciting times’ bandwagons before the wheels come off and bankruptcy comes.

Look forward to the coming season and enjoy it but as fans also make sure you keep
scrutinising decisions and questioning whether spending is sensible and sustainable and speak out at the first sniff of uncertainty.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
City’s ground nearly complete according to AP’s latest update.

A short update, in which he mostly criticises City fans and makes his customary 1970s style unfunny and derogatory ‘wife’ joke.

He has done a good job getting the stadium done, but the more he blogs to blame others and slag off fans etc rather than just talking about the stadium the more a sh!t he comes across as.

SHANDY VOR
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Andrew GCAFC Fan wrote:Looking Positive on and off the pitch for GCAFC. New Meadow Park progressing well, pitch is now in place. It almost feels like the ground is complete. Made another signing last week, looking a strong team. Team totally changed, (and management), from the one that started last season. Been signing experienced players for this level..
How long will the money last if attendances are restricted or if AP’s budgeted attendances of 800 don’t materialise?

I share your hope and ambition, but I would urge caution. Too many fans get on the ‘exciting times’ bandwagons before the wheels come off and bankruptcy comes.

Look forward to the coming season and enjoy it but as fans also make sure you keep
scrutinising decisions and questioning whether spending is sensible and sustainable and speak out at the first sniff of uncertainty.
When you've been walking for years barefooted on broken glass you will take any wagon that comes along. And when that wagon stops we'll be further along the road than we were when we started, and we can hop off and carry on the journey.

Unless said wagon was moeen down by an Arctic, with multiple fatalities at which stage we'll wish the wagon never came along.

Moral of the story is better to risk the nations highways than have bleeding feet.
asl
SHANDY VOR wrote:moeen down by an Arctic
That's one part of the World I doubt you'll ever find that particular England spinner. Far too cold for him.

Andrew GCAFC Fan
After 2 league games, we are top of the league, can't believe it!!! What a difference a week makes after our disappointing FA Cup Exit. Look to have assembled a strong team with competition for places. Went to the FA Youth Cup Tie on Thursday night, New Meadow Park looks impressive under the lights. It was like a taster of how a match day could be whenever we get back to 'Normal'.
FGR and yourselves have both made strong starts in league 2. Hopefully through this Covid crisis, Gloucestershire Football will have sucess stories.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Andrew GCAFC Fan wrote:After 2 league games, we are top of the league, can't believe it!!! What a difference a week makes after our disappointing FA Cup Exit. Look to have assembled a strong team with competition for places. Went to the FA Youth Cup Tie on Thursday night, New Meadow Park looks impressive under the lights. It was like a taster of how a match day could be whenever we get back to 'Normal'.
FGR and yourselves have both made strong starts in league 2. Hopefully through this Covid crisis, Gloucestershire Football will have sucess stories.
Indeed. The media story will be about the vegan village club on top of the hill and the club returning home after so many years as a nomad.

Cheltenham fans will be quietly content that the real story is CTFC are the only one of the three to not be unsustainably bankrolled by an individual and who have achieved their success with good management and astute signings rather than simply with a chequebook.

Enjoy the ride. You might do a Fleetwood. You might do a Histon. I guess the short term success depends on if non league introduces rules against financial doping or whether City will only need to worry about what they are spending once in the EFL.
SHANDY VOR
As usual, you make a lot of assumptions RCS. I am not sure how you know so much about the finances of our club, please do share. You present a possibility as a fact, to suit your back story #RCS fake views
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
SHANDY VOR wrote:As usual, you make a lot of assumptions RCS. I am not sure how you know so much about the finances of our club, please do share. You present a possibility as a fact, to suit your back story #RCS fake views
Look at the signings you have made. That is all the evidence. Plus AP has had no qualms about blogging about how much he has spent and how many fans you need in to break even.

No need to be so defensive about it!
SHANDY VOR
The player costs are just one side of the balance sheet; how do you know these costs aren't covered by income? You'd be surprised at what streams we have coming in this year. And playing at your own stadium means you get to keep bar takings etc as well as have a facility for hire.

I personally don't know whether income matches outgoings, but I'd bet the lot that you don't either, so please stop stirring it up and casting aspersions on our Chairmen.
asl
SHANDY VOR wrote:You'd be surprised at what streams we have coming in this year.
Wasn't that part of the problem with Meadow Park in the first place...?
SHANDY VOR
We're an island in the stream now, and that's Dolly and Kenny will be belting that out when we get our first crowd at the NMP
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Looks like the Tigers are going up. Will be great to see them in National League next season.

Could be a local derby with Yeovil (if Yeo stay up) which would be quite a game at NMP.

We will still be two divisions ahead of them though!
Andrew GCAFC Fan
After 3 games, won 3, 100% record. Top of the league, early days. This is a far cry from watching GCAFC in the past. Fighting to stay up, working to a lower wage bill. Watching the team play home games at different grounds, then in a different county. Now back at New Meadow Park, we have games behind closed doors. It feels as if part of the Club is back at Gloucester. Players and Staff are back at Gloucester, just need the supporters back to complete the picture.
I am enjoying this season so far, early days. We got over the issues of getting a ground approved and built. Taken 13 years. Now we have the Covid situation to try and negotiate.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Andrew GCAFC Fan wrote:After 3 games, won 3, 100% record. Top of the league, early days. This is a far cry from watching GCAFC in the past. Fighting to stay up, working to a lower wage bill. Watching the team play home games at different grounds, then in a different county. Now back at New Meadow Park, we have games behind closed doors. It feels as if part of the Club is back at Gloucester. Players and Staff are back at Gloucester, just need the supporters back to complete the picture.
I am enjoying this season so far, early days. We got over the issues of getting a ground approved and built. Taken 13 years. Now we have the Covid situation to try and negotiate.
How about a sporting wager....whoever gets promoted with the most games to spare wins!
SHANDY VOR
Stop it
Shade
Nothing like a spot of double mockers.