Gloucester City - start of a new era...?

Talk about other football teams at all levels. AND ANY Glos City related threads, even if talking about the groundsharing.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:Nothing like a spot of double mockers.
If I am going to jinx us then the least I can do is take City down too.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Great effort by City fans to raise £1,000 for the team to stay overnight on Tyneside for the Gateshead game on Saturday: https://thecityopenforum.co.uk/showthre ... 360&page=5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It looks like the Gloucester team is heading up mid-morning. I am actually driving down to the Shire tomorrow mid-morning so may cross them en route.

Does anyone know what coach company they use so I can keep an eye out?
Red Duke
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Great effort by City fans to raise £1,000 for the team to stay overnight on Tyneside for the Gateshead game on Saturday: https://thecityopenforum.co.uk/showthre ... 360&page=5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It looks like the Gloucester team is heading up mid-morning. I am actually driving down to the Shire tomorrow mid-morning so may cross them en route.

Does anyone know what coach company they use so I can keep an eye out?
Nothing to see as the match is off due to Covid.
SHANDY VOR
Are you allowed to travel down Sam?
Andrew GCAFC Fan
Hello. The GCAFC Team Coach and Supporters Coach travel on KB Coaches. All being well, the Team will be travelling to that part of the Country in two weeks time when we play away to Spennymoor Town. Went up there last season, lost 5-1. Jonathan Gould's Son played in goal for them.
Talking of coaches, travelling on the Supporters Coach from an away game in the North. On the M6 I think, overtook a Marchants Coach of CTFC supporters. GCAFC supporters started chanting as we were overtaking the Marchants coach. On another trip back from a different game, we overtook a Bennett's Coach carrying Man Utd fans. GCAFC Supporters were chanting, "We Support our Local Team"!!! Was Funny!!!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
SHANDY VOR wrote:Are you allowed to travel down Sam?
Yup. Tier 2 and with cases falling dramatically soon to be tier 1. So all legal and not against guidance. Am staying in a rural hotel rather than with family or different household.

And on a personal level, because Covid rates are generally a function of poverty and class, as in any area, the North East’s rates are high in the large areas of deprivation and at the same levels as anywhere else in other areas. So in the area I live and haven’t left until today for weeks cases are down at the below 40-50 per 100,000.

But because the region just has a much larger proportion of deprived/poor areas the average for our local authority on average is still around 190-200 per 100k and closer to 250 for the region as a whole. But that will be because the deprived areas are still up around 3-400 per 100k which Hester’s Way, Whaddon and poorer parts of Gloucester probably will be too.

So quite low risk for me. Working from home since March and not going on the metro means I might as well be on a different planet to the high infection areas such is the wealth/class segregation.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Andrew GCAFC Fan wrote:Hello. The GCAFC Team Coach and Supporters Coach travel on KB Coaches. All being well, the Team will be travelling to that part of the Country in two weeks time when we play away to Spennymoor Town. Went up there last season, lost 5-1. Jonathan Gould's Son played in goal for them.
Talking of coaches, travelling on the Supporters Coach from an away game in the North. On the M6 I think, overtook a Marchants Coach of CTFC supporters. GCAFC supporters started chanting as we were overtaking the Marchants coach. On another trip back from a different game, we overtook a Bennett's Coach carrying Man Utd fans. GCAFC Supporters were chanting, "We Support our Local Team"!!! Was Funny!!!
Classic memories, and it is scenes like that which we all miss so much in the current circumstances.

I hope the City team stay in a nice rural hotel...Spennymoor and the surrounds have only got more poor and rundown since the 80s. Stunning Countryside and some rural venues are lovely but the settlements and isolated clusters of damp housing in those parts are forgotten about even when people talk about the forgotten and left behind places.
SHANDY VOR
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
SHANDY VOR wrote:Are you allowed to travel down Sam?
Yup. Tier 2 and with cases falling dramatically soon to be tier 1. So all legal and not against guidance. Am staying in a rural hotel rather than with family or different household.

And on a personal level, because Covid rates are generally a function of poverty and class, as in any area, the North East’s rates are high in the large areas of deprivation and at the same levels as anywhere else in other areas. So in the area I live and haven’t left until today for weeks cases are down at the below 40-50 per 100,000.

But because the region just has a much larger proportion of deprived/poor areas the average for our local authority on average is still around 190-200 per 100k and closer to 250 for the region as a whole. But that will be because the deprived areas are still up around 3-400 per 100k which Hester’s Way, Whaddon and poorer parts of Gloucester probably will be too.

So quite low risk for me. Working from home since March and not going on the metro means I might as well be on a different planet to the high infection areas such is the wealth/class segregation.
A 'yes' would have been sufficient :)
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Andrew GCAFC Fan wrote:After 3 games, won 3, 100% record. Top of the league, early days. This is a far cry from watching GCAFC in the past. Fighting to stay up, working to a lower wage bill. Watching the team play home games at different grounds, then in a different county. Now back at New Meadow Park, we have games behind closed doors. It feels as if part of the Club is back at Gloucester. Players and Staff are back at Gloucester, just need the supporters back to complete the picture.
I am enjoying this season so far, early days. We got over the issues of getting a ground approved and built. Taken 13 years. Now we have the Covid situation to try and negotiate.
How about a sporting wager....whoever gets promoted with the most games to spare wins!
How about, if City get promoted before Easter I will buy you a pint. If the Robins are you buy me one?
Hubert Parry
James Rowe is joining Chesterfield. I hope this doesn't derail the season for them.
paperboy
Hubert Parry wrote:James Rowe is joining Chesterfield. I hope this doesn't derail the season for them.
Didn't know he had been offered/ accepted ,only that he had been approached.
Bigger club perhaps but reckon he might stay anyway with City riding high.

Not sure that winning a few matches with an expensive squad for that level makes him a stand out candidate TBH.
Hubert Parry
Compensation should be payable and Gloucester's position makes it an attractive proposition for many managers. I'm trying to think of some likely candidates. Perhaps someone like Yatesy or Tim Flowers?
Shade
Both good shouts, and both would finish the job that has been started this season, no doubt.
paperboy
Think Flowers was a candidate for Chesterfield.

Good opportunity for somebody. I reckon they will go for another younger coach so they might consider Broughie although he's heading towards fifty now.
If Russ was ambitious he could throw his hat in the ring, but I'd bet against that.

Some keen candidates might try for a pass at Gateshead of all places tonight !

Be interesting to see how many they get through the turnstiles when they get the go ahead.
Ben3
How about Carl Winchester as an outside bet? He always follows the money; he's got a great chance of getting a promotion on his cv and a crack in the national league; and he could team up with daws for a good drink along the way.

(It would be terrible for City, an ambition-less, mediocre player who excels being the best of a bad lot. And all the loyalty of Iscariot.)
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
They might have to pay Vince back for the house he gave Winchester. Clean the cans up first.

In all seriousness though, whoever takes over doesn’t need to do much to get them promoted. Unless they lose players I can’t see how anyone could fail to get them up.

Which does make me wonder if Chesterfield have done due diligence..... getting last season’s Gloucester to top of the league would be impressive. This season, it is not a managerial achievement at all.
paperboy
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:They might have to pay Vince back for the house he gave Winchester. Clean the cans up first.

In all seriousness though, whoever takes over doesn’t need to do much to get them promoted. Unless they lose players I can’t see how anyone could fail to get them up.

Which does make me wonder if Chesterfield have done due diligence..... getting last season’s Gloucester to top of the league would be impressive. This season, it is not a managerial achievement at all.
They lost tonight without the Messiah.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
paperboy wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:They might have to pay Vince back for the house he gave Winchester. Clean the cans up first.

They lost tonight without the Messiah.
And with five players out including their two main strikers.
SHANDY VOR
Yep spirited display but five very good players, including 19 goals, out of the team and it showed. We have a small but quality squad, and playing so many games is going to put pressure on.

Still 6 points ahead, but now looking mortal.

Interesting week ahead for the club
paperboy
Good to see that Glos City are keeping fans informed by giving a timeline for applications, shortlist , interviews and appointment.
30+ applications and growing already.

Not sure that Chesterfield have announced James Rowe yet.
paperboy
...sounds as if I'm getting obsessed with City, but this might make an interesting listen.

http://severnsport.co.uk/gloucester-cit ... questions/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shade
I wonder, has there ever been a case of a manager resigning their post in the expectance of taking on another job, only for them not to get it and be left jobless? That would make me laugh quite a lot.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Asante leaves City and moves to Chesterfield.

That’s one big wage off the books!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Some interesting names linked with City. Some potential good appointments.

I hope for their sake they don’t appoint another Todd. He of course took a team from a play off push to relegation. Given the good work done on and off the pitch, appointing a Todd mark two and collapsing to lower mid-table would be a disaster.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Liam Daly the next to leave.

The usual cycle of JP previewing the move, the Club denying it, JP pretty much confirming the move, and the Club then reluctantly having to admit JP was correct all along.

Some fans not happy with JP:

“ how is this guy Palmer getting these stories which most of them turns out to be true before anyone else in the club?”

https://thecityopenforum.co.uk/showthre ... 149&page=8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shade
moley moley moley moley mole
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
A new Twitter account had appeared in the last week, pertaining to be a Gloucester City fan with behind the scenes knowledge on dodgy activity by Alex Petherham (AP).

https://mobile.twitter.com/Gloucestercity2/with_replies" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It’s no secret from this and other threads that I have been concerned about AP from the start and have said it will end in tears. The comings and goings, AP’s u-turns, self-contradiction, criticism of fans in blogs, and has done nothing to change my mind.

It will be interesting to see what stories are put out by this Twitter account and if any of the things this account is saying ever come to pass or are proven to be true. So far there are claims that players have said their contracts have been changed without them knowing, and that the plan AP leaving in summer 2021 with a tidy sum whilst the club is left in a bad way.

Definitely one to follow. I imagine the more followers they have the more they will start to reveal.
SHANDY VOR
RCS, its just someone trolling. It's fake news, so stop giving it oxygen. You are outraged by people putting up links to websites with spurious claims and falsehoods - even demanding censorship - and yet here you are actively promoting and embellishing these lies by commenting on things you simply have no knowledge of. Far less serious subject matter, granted, but bang on the same principle.

You, sir, are a rapscallion; a solid gold shitehawke.

I know you're aching for us to fail, and we may not achieve what we hope this year, but us City fans are enjoying ourselves. Get it up ya!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I want city to go and hope you do. But I am genuinely Concerned about AP. He comes across as no different to the spivs and crooks who damage other clubs. I would not buy an ST if he ran CTFC. I have read all his blogs and seen all his video interviews and most of his forum posts. If he was at Swindon or a grubby club like that you’d think the same I am sure.

I hope he proves me wrong. I also hope the Twitter account proves to be false. I agree it is probably a troll. But until actual claims are made and then we cannot say definitively. The generic stuff said so far anyone could have come up with just based on what AP says and does. Once actual accusations are made I am sure they will look ridiculous and instantly debunked. In any case, a few football rumours is hardly disinformation or deliberately refuting science to cause thousands of deaths. Football is a game of rumours.

Cracking result today. At 0-2 promotion looked in doubt, but 3-2 and, well, another step closer. Better to have points in the bag than the pressure of having to win games in hand.
SHANDY VOR
Lot of your old boys on show today, and I was there at the match to watch their grief first hand.

Russ Penn is manager, Keith Lowe at the heart of their 'defence', and the offensive pair of Amari and Omari. These two looked dangerous in spells, fortunately for us few and far between.

Having seen most of our games this season, and many actually live and present, I would be happy for us to remain top of the league but more probably we will be fighting for and hopefully achieving a play-off place this season. Whatever that looks like.

Still, you never know. New manager settling in well, and new players on their way...........
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
The Twitter account has been deleted now. For the best I think, given the recent poll about AP without evidence.
SHANDY VOR
You're no better, so in no position to comment.

In fact, the tweets do seem to mirror your style? You better get a Saturday job, the libel lawyers are coming for you.........
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
SHANDY VOR wrote:You're no better, so in no position to comment.

In fact, the tweets do seem to mirror your style? You better get a Saturday job, the libel lawyers are coming for you.........
Eh? None of my comments accuse AP of anything, other than saying he comes across as a bit dodgy like a lot of owners. I wouldn’t ever make the type of accusations that Twitter account would.