Should he return to the blades?

Talk about other football teams at all levels. AND ANY Glos City related threads, even if talking about the groundsharing.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

CheltRobin
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29656157" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So Evans vows to clear his name, fair enough if he's been wrongly convicted, but what about his return to football?

Whether guilty or not, he has a right to become re-employed, however, to what extent? Very hypothetically, if I was in the same position as Evans, I would find nigh on impossible to return to my current job as an adult Tutor, unless my conviction was completely squashed and over-turned.

I personally think SUFC should NOT re-employ Evans back as a player, but if he's determined to re-join the club, maybe he should be involved in the community side of the club?

It kinda all hinges on whether or not his appeal is successful, as he hasn't shown any remorse for his actions so far - but then maybe he hasn't because he is innocent?

It will be an interesting appeal case that's for sure.
Joey
No - if we were to sign for Cheltenham town for example I would stop supporting the club.

Evans believes he is innocent and shows no sorrow towards his vile actions. What he did any reasonable human being would be ashamed and I am disgusted by those who sent abuse to his victim resulting her having to leave the country and change her name. Footballers are put on a pedestal whether they like it or not, what Sheffield United would be doing be doing by re-employing Evans would be validating the view held by many that he was wronged by the justice system and society.

I have seen the argument thrown about that he has served his time therefore he his somehow washed of his crimes. Firstly, I don't understand this logic that somehow somebody is instantly rehabilitated simply because they spent time in jail. Until we provide rehabilitation in prison similar to Norway then this will not be true and even then there are no guarantees. Secondly, I doubt many of these people would allow a convicted pedophile to teach their children or a accountant convicted of fraud to manage their accounts.

It is as simple as this. If somebody does not consent to sex with you then you have raped them, Ched Evans took advantage of a vulnerable and young girl for his own exploitation. In a society where victim blaming, unreported rape and trivialisation of rape is prevalent this is something that we have to tackle head on.
asl
The argument being used is that it's his line of work and there's no legal basis to prevent him working. However, the analogy I'd use, is that TV companies won't be falling over themselves to hire Rolf Harris to present a new kid's show when he gets out...
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Vows to clear his name? What an absolute sh!t. That is the main reason I would not want him at my club. If he apologised, donated money to a rape victim support charity and actually showed some acknowledgement and remorse for his crime I might be more open minded. His stance as it is shows what a vile piece of work he is.
Malabus
Yes. I agree with Judy.
Daveangel
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Vows to clear his name? What an absolute sh!t. That is the main reason I would not want him at my club. If he apologised, donated money to a rape victim support charity and actually showed some acknowledgement and remorse for his crime I might be more open minded. His stance as it is shows what a vile piece of work he is.
He's an absolute sh!t for vowing to clear his name, as he believes he is innocent of the crime of rape?

After reading this, http://www.chedevans.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , I find it incredible he was found guilty!
ctfc-fan
Daveangel wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Vows to clear his name? What an absolute sh!t. That is the main reason I would not want him at my club. If he apologised, donated money to a rape victim support charity and actually showed some acknowledgement and remorse for his crime I might be more open minded. His stance as it is shows what a vile piece of work he is.
He's an absolute sh!t for vowing to clear his name, as he believes he is innocent of the crime of rape?

After reading this, http://www.chedevans.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , I find it incredible he was found guilty!
Agree Dave.

I find rape an absolutely vile crime but sometimes justice goes wrong. The only person who knows the truth is him so how anyone can absolutely say for certain he's guilty is beyond me.

That doesn't change my feelings though that if he's guilty I don't think he should be allowed back on a football pitch.
Si Robin
It is a strange one.

The truth of the matter is that none of us know what was actually said and disclosed in court so we should trust the jury's decision. However, there's something about someone still pleading their innocence even after they've served their time that raises doubt on the conviction. Having read some of the website Dave has posted, I agree I can't believe he was found guilty, but it is naturally biased so they may be missing out key pieces of info.

I'm a firm believer in someone having served their time so having a right to live their life as normally as possible. I believed it with Lee Hughes and also Luke McCormick, and I feel I have strong grounds for supporting their rights having lost my own father to a drink-driver. The lack of remorse from Evans is concerning, but if he genuinely believes he's innocent then it is understandable.

With that being said, some of the tactics from his supporters when the trial was ongoing leave a lot to be desired and a very sour taste in the mouth (mentioning the girl's name on Twitter for example).

I don't think he is some horrible rapist preying on drunk girls. I think he's got caught up in something that a lot of men in their late teens and early 20s do, head ruled by their penis. Getting into the situation was very naive of him.

The one question I would raise is this, if she was too drunk to consent to sex with Evans, why wasn't she too drunk to consent to sex with McDonald? That's never sat right with me.
Daveangel
"The truth of the matter is that none of us know what was actually said and disclosed in court so we should trust the jury's decision. However, there's something about someone still pleading their innocence even after they've served their time that raises doubt on the conviction. Having read some of the website Dave has posted, I agree I can't believe he was found guilty, but it is naturally biased so they may be missing out key pieces of info."

Every word spoken, and piece of evidence presented at the trial is in the public domain Si. She says herself she has no recollection whatsoever between being in a kebab shop and waking up in a hotel room. If she doesn't know what happened, how can a court?

He's undoubtably acted in a manner which is pretty sleazy, but nearly 3 years in prison?

If he wasn't a footballer it would never have got that far IMO, and if every young bloke who goes out partying and ends up sleeping with a drunk young girl was imprisoned, I think they'd need to start building some new ones!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Lol. Chedevans.com says he isn't guilty. Bnp.com says they aren't racist. I suspect isis.com asserts they are thoroughly decent modern men.

We will wait for the appeal and in the meantime of course I am going to trust a court of law over a website set up in the convict's honour. Are these the same friends of his that forced the victim to change her identity after abusing/threatening her before the trial?

Si Robin- I suppose it's because they are two separate events. She went back with McDonald first, , apparently willingly in a taxi so the jury may have thought she could have given consent then ir something. Evans arrived a bit later. So who knows she may have become unable to give consent by that stage.

Interesting that on the website both men say when Evans turned up mid-sesh they both recall the girl being asked if he could join in but both say they didn't ask the question. I suspect it's that which led to the guilty conviction. If you say in court I never asked for consent but I thought someone else had then it's not going to end well I am afraid.

This was California's policy to try and deal with increasing unpunished sexual assaults on university campuses:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/s ... al-consent" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Daveangel wrote:"The truth of the matter is that none of us know what was actually said and disclosed in court so we should trust the jury's decision. However, there's something about someone still pleading their innocence even after they've served their time that raises doubt on the conviction. Having read some of the website Dave has posted, I agree I can't believe he was found guilty, but it is naturally biased so they may be missing out key pieces of info."

Every word spoken, and piece of evidence presented at the trial is in the public domain Si. She says herself she has no recollection whatsoever between being in a kebab shop and waking up in a hotel room. If she doesn't know what happened, how can a court?

He's undoubtably acted in a manner which is pretty sleazy, but nearly 3 years in prison?

If he wasn't a footballer it would never have got that far IMO, and if every young bloke who goes out partying and ends up sleeping with a drunk young girl was imprisoned, I think they'd need to start building some new ones!
In one way the fact it only got this far as he is a footballer is a positive as it sends a message to other blokes like him to think twice and hopefully prevent the need for more prisons to be built, whereas a case with no public exposure would not.

It might also encourage more victims to come forward, something which already seems to happening based on these stats released this week:

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29642455" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
For me ultimately it comes down to one thing: as a society are we happy for thousands of kids to look up to Evans as a role model and idolise him and emulate him and learn that it's fine to commit rape and even if you are found guilty and go to prison you will still a successful celebrity cheered and worshipped by your community and your fans.

So a parent takes there 10 year old twins, one boy and one girl to a game and they ask why some people are booing or cheering more for Evans and maybe singing songs they ask why. Does the parent go "son, it's because he did a bad thing to a girl and was arrested but doesn't admit it and didn't say sorry because she was drunk so now he is back and we can all clap him" and then "daughter, you see, if you go out and have fun with friends and then get attacked people will demonise you and cheer the person who does it as a hero, because he is a man and you are just a girl".
Joey
Daveangel wrote: He's an absolute sh!t for vowing to clear his name, as he believes he is innocent of the crime of rape?

It is laughable you and and other posters are using that website as a reliable source. The same people who were involved in the abuse of victims are the same people who run and own that website.
Si Robin wrote: I don't think he is some horrible rapist preying on drunk girls. I think he's got caught up in something that a lot of men in their late teens and early 20s do, head ruled by their penis. Getting into the situation was very naive of him.
So...boys will be boys?

He took advantage of a vulnerable young girl for his own pleasure. I do not care if you are 15 or 50, people should know if somebody isn't sober enough to consent to sex with you then you don't have sex with them.

Here we are, a bunch of men having a conversation in which most of the victims are women. Before anyone links of cases where the roles are swapped, yes, I know men can get raped. However I doubt many of us will have to ever carry a rape alarm or have to walk home with that fear. I also doubt many of us will have to then face the culture of victim blaming and the fear of reporting the crime because you might be ignored.

The actions and words of those in relation to the case should open up a larger conversation about sexism in football. For this case has only brought shame upon the sport and I can only presume has damaged the way women perceive the sport and footballers themselves.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Joey wrote:
Daveangel wrote: He's an absolute sh!t for vowing to clear his name, as he believes he is innocent of the crime of rape?

It is laughable you and and other posters are using that website as a reliable source. The same people who were involved in the abuse of victims are the same people who run and own that website.
Si Robin wrote: I don't think he is some horrible rapist preying on drunk girls. I think he's got caught up in something that a lot of men in their late teens and early 20s do, head ruled by their penis. Getting into the situation was very naive of him.
So...boys will be boys?

He took advantage of a vulnerable young girl for his own pleasure. I do not care if you are 15 or 50, people should know if somebody isn't sober enough to consent to sex with you then you don't have sex with them.

Here we are, a bunch of men having a conversation in which most of the victims are women. Before anyone links of cases where the roles are swapped, yes, I know men can get raped. However I doubt many of us will have to ever carry a rape alarm or have to walk home with that fear. I also doubt many of us will have to then face the culture of victim blaming and the fear of reporting the crime because you might be ignored.

The actions and words of those in relation to the case should open up a larger conversation about sexism in football. For this case has only brought shame upon the sport and I can only presume has damaged the way women perceive the sport and footballers themselves.
Wonderful expression of the point Joey. I could not agree more.

As I have said before, I always had pride that CTFC was a class above when it came to issues like this, and I would be disappointed to learn otherwise.
Si Robin
Joey wrote:
So...boys will be boys?

That's no quite what I'm saying.

As Dave has said, if every bloke was sent down for sleeping with a drunk girl then there would be very few men not behind bars.

I said he was naive to have even got into the situation. By going to his mate's hotel room he left himself open to this kind of accusation. Only two people claim to actually know what happened in that hotel room, one was convicted of rape and the other wasn't, despite both admitting to having sex with her. Now if she can't remember anything from the kebab shop to the following morning, then how can she possibly remember giving consent to McDonald and not Evans. The fact is that she can't, therefore how can one be convicted and not the other.

Going with someone in a taxi and consenting to sex are two completely different things. Or can we now say that if you take a girl back to yours that means you can have sex with them?

With that being said, I do concede that neither Evans or McDonald not knowing who asked the question of the girl looks poor. Is it enough for a full conviction, I'm not sure. It will be interesting to see what comes of their new case.

It's all by-the-by in my eyes anyway. There seems no doubt he'll be playing for Sheffield United and it is his right as a UK citizen to do so.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Who knows why McDonald was not sent down too. Ither than the judge and jury thinking the evidence against him was less substantial.

Of course it's his right to pursue any career he wants. It would say more about Sheffield United and Football as a whole than it does Evans.

You use the argument that there would be very few men not behind bars. Surely then the solution is not to ignore rapes but to educate the next generation to not commit them? This is where Evans being a role model to the community is unhelpful. It's the same with all crimes - just because a lot of people use their phone when driving or break the speed limit doesn't mean the police should ignore it. Rather, if more people are penalised and educated then fewer people might do it.
Joey
There was sufficient evidence that she consented to sex with McDonald, hence why she went back to the hotel room to have sex with him and him alone.

As RCS said above, we should be teaching boys not rape, not teaching girls not to get raped.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Joey, if you haven't already add your name to the petition:

https://www.change.org/p/kevin-mccabe-c ... /u/8464609" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Si Robin
Was there? What evidence was that? All I've seen is that she can't remember anything between the kebab shop and the following morning.

As I said, if she was supposedly too drunk to consent to sex with Evans, then why wasn't she too drunk to consent to sex with McDonald, especially considering there is, apparently, no evidence that she drank any more after meeting McDonald?

Unless you are saying that going back to someone's hotel room is consenting to sex? As I said though, going back with someone and actually consenting to sex are not always one and the same.

This is my last post on the matter because I have no doubt that I won't change anyone's opinion on here.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Si Robin wrote:Was there? What evidence was that? All I've seen is that she can't remember anything between the kebab shop and the following morning.

As I said, if she was supposedly too drunk to consent to sex with Evans, then why wasn't she too drunk to consent to sex with McDonald, especially considering there is, apparently, no evidence that she drank any more after meeting McDonald?

Unless you are saying that going back to someone's hotel room is consenting to sex? As I said though, going back with someone and actually consenting to sex are not always one and the same.

This is my last post on the matter because I have no doubt that I won't change anyone's opinion on here.
I am not arguing about why or why not and how or how not they decided Clayton McDonald was found guilty or not. That has happened for whatever reason. I don't know why and I don't know what I would have concluded had I been there, but I wasn't so that's that.

All I am arguing about is whether or not a convicted rapist who shows no remorse or contrition, and whose supporters continue to criticise the person they were convicted of raping, should be welcomed back into a club as a professional footballer and an icon and role model for the community and fans of that club.

So Si, if you would stretch to one more post just to confirm something as I am confused - are you arguing (a) that he shouldn't have been found guilty, or (b) that an unrepentant rapist should be welcomed back by Sheffield United?

I am purely arguing about (b), but your repeated questioning of how and why the judge and jury concluded what they suggests you are arguing about (a) which is something quite different altogether. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Si Robin
As you asked nicely, one more post.

I am not comfortable with the conviction. I think there are too many questions about it. Based on the evidence I've seen, and admittedly I haven't seen it all, I wouldn't have voted guilty if I had been on the jury.

As for whether an unrepentant rapist should be welcomed back by Sheffield Utd. If he has done his time then as far as I'm concerned there is no issue with him earning a living as a professional footballer. I'd much rather he didn't play for my club, but I wouldn't object to it to an extent where I would boycott my club.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Si Robin wrote:As you asked nicely, one more post.

I am not comfortable with the conviction. I think there are too many questions about it. Based on the evidence I've seen, and admittedly I haven't seen it all, I wouldn't have voted guilty if I had been on the jury.

As for whether an unrepentant rapist should be welcomed back by Sheffield Utd. If he has done his time then as far as I'm concerned there is no issue with him earning a living as a professional footballer. I'd much rather he didn't play for my club, but I wouldn't object to it to an extent where I would boycott my club.
Thanks for the clear and honest answer. As you say our opinions will likely remain to differ.

Enjoy today's game if you're going!
CheltRobin
As for Ched's gitlfriend, you have to say she is a resilient character, whatever the truth is. A lot of women would've dumped their bloke for just sleeping with a completely random woman, whatever did or didn't happen next.

For her sake, you have to hope that he is proved innocent, otherwise it will mean she has spent the last 2 years loyally defending her rapist boyfriend.
Joey
CheltRobin wrote:As for Ched's gitlfriend, you have to say she is a resilient character, whatever the truth is. A lot of women would've dumped their bloke for just sleeping with a completely random woman, whatever did or didn't happen next.

For her sake, you have to hope that he is proved innocent, otherwise it will mean she has spent the last 2 years loyally defending her rapist boyfriend.
I don't quite get your point.

While I do feel sympathy towards the family on both sides, I'm not quite sure that should mean Evans should be innocent.

One could also suggest the reason she has stood by his side might be down to the rather large sums of money he was and might once again be earning.
CheltRobin
Possibly. My point was that how bad she would she feel if his appeal is not overturned. She would've wasted 2 years of her life defending him.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
CheltRobin wrote:Possibly. My point was that how bad she would she feel if his appeal is not overturned. She would've wasted 2 years of her life defending him.
Thing is though, she knows full well what he has done and heard his testimony under oath. It's just semantics of what can and can't be proven to be rape so I cannot imagine it will make any difference to how she acts.

After all, after his conviction she didn't leave but joined the campaign to support him so why on earth would she change her mind now?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Evans and his mob really do not do themselves any favours.

- Police investigating his website
- Victim has her 'new' identity revealed and she is subject to more abuse and threats on-line
- [his mum] told the Daily Star: 'We just hope the feminist gang will soon find something else to go and bang their drum about.'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... ictim.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ction.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Money talks more than morals in football so if anymore follow suit it might be curtains:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30023525" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Joey
That happens when you let a rapist who shows no remorse back into your club.
Malabus
Done his time. Let the lad kick a soccer ball.
Robin
Sadly this thread has been over taken by the usual whingers and moaners who just want to scream and criticise without knowing all the details. I'd suggest none of us know the truth but the majority would admit there is at least some doubt as to whether this is a valid conviction.

From my perspective if Luke McCormick can play football again for a worse crime (in my eyes at least) then Evans can too. No doubt he's in for a lot of abuse and will be reminded of his crimes every single away day anyway.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:Sadly this thread has been over taken by the usual whingers and moaners who just want to scream and criticise without knowing all the details. I'd suggest none of us know the truth but the majority would admit there is at least some doubt as to whether this is a valid conviction.

From my perspective if Luke McCormick can play football again for a worse crime (in my eyes at least) then Evans can too. No doubt he's in for a lot of abuse and will be reminded of his crimes every single away day anyway.
"Whingers" and"moaners". Would you say that if it was another type of crime he was convicted of and unrepentant for.

There is a valid conviction. Unless there is a successful appeal then there will always be a valid conviction.

Surprise surprise, Jessica Ennis-Hill says she doesn't want the stand named after her if an unrepentant rapist is cheered as community role model to young people, and later in the day she receives criminal threats herself.

The Tweets to JEH are of course a clear symbol of why it's important to take a stance against misogyny.

I don't know enough about the McCormick case but a simple search took me to the below quote. Note the bit in bold. That is the difference for me. LM showing regret, is repentant and trying to turn it into a positive. Evans and his supporters on the other hand show no remorse, continue to blame and abuse the victim, abuse the likes of JEH and try and make out like he has been harshly treated.

'My time at Swindon Town was an important stepping stone on the journey and I would now like to move forward in an attempt to re-establish a career in football, in addition to working within the community, alerting people as to the stupidity and dangers of drinking and driving.' http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... indon.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also here, an example of the importance of contrition and apology:
http://news.sky.com/story/700007/double ... ns-apology" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If Evans and his supporters showed such contrition or made a donation to or publicised rape support charities and used his role in the community for good then I would not 'moan' or 'whinge'. But as it stands, the complete opposite is true, his victim has been forced to change identity twice and Olympic gold medallists are being sent rape threats which is not very positive role model behaviour at all.

I am judging the response and behaviour following a criminal conviction That is the point of second chances and rehabilitation after all.
Joey
Robin wrote:Sadly this thread has been over taken by the usual whingers and moaners who just want to scream and criticise without knowing all the details. I'd suggest none of us know the truth but the majority would admit there is at least some doubt as to whether this is a valid conviction.

Doubt?

He went to his friend's hotel room, had sex with a girl after his friend had while she was not in a state to consent while his other friends filmed it. A court of law convicted him as a rapist so therefore he is a rapist, there is no conspiracy here as we have one of the best justice systems in the world.

I am not whinging and moaning, I've read about the case and I've read and heard many opinions on it. I myself have made an informed opinion that a man who has shown no remorse of his actions while his victim is forced to leave the country and change her name is a blight on our society. Therefore he should not have the privilege of playing football, this is a vile and disgusting man.

As RCS points out, there has been clear regret and remorse by McCormick. There are people like Marlon King who I do not believe should be playing either, he is a repeat offender and like Evans should not have the privilege of playing football.

One must also look at the threats sent to Jessica Ennis-Hill as to why it is important that football sends out a clear message that these sort of things aren't acceptable. We are far too forgiving to footballers in our society and we have to start drawing a line. Unremorseful rapists and not welcome into our game.

The "he has done his time" argument is a complete null too. There are plenty of careers that if you commit a crime you are not allowed to return to and it is stupid to presume that because he has been to prison he is magically rehabilitated.
Sprout Picker
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:

"Whingers" and"moaners". Would you say that if it was another type of crime he was convicted of and unrepentant for.

There is a valid conviction. Unless there is a successful appeal then there will always be a valid conviction.

Surprise surprise, Jessica Ennis-Hill says she doesn't want the stand named after her if an unrepentant rapist is cheered as community role model to young people, and later in the day she receives criminal threats herself.

The Tweets to JEH are of course a clear symbol of why it's important to take a stance against misogyny.

I don't know enough about the McCormick case but a simple search took me to the below quote. Note the bit in bold. That is the difference for me. LM showing regret, is repentant and trying to turn it into a positive. Evans and his supporters on the other hand show no remorse, continue to blame and abuse the victim, abuse the likes of JEH and try and make out like he has been harshly treated.

'My time at Swindon Town was an important stepping stone on the journey and I would now like to move forward in an attempt to re-establish a career in football, in addition to working within the community, alerting people as to the stupidity and dangers of drinking and driving.' http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... indon.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also here, an example of the importance of contrition and apology:
http://news.sky.com/story/700007/double ... ns-apology" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If Evans and his supporters showed such contrition or made a donation to or publicised rape support charities and used his role in the community for good then I would not 'moan' or 'whinge'. But as it stands, the complete opposite is true, his victim has been forced to change identity twice and Olympic gold medallists are being sent rape threats which is not very positive role model behaviour at all.

I am judging the response and behaviour following a criminal conviction That is the point of second chances and rehabilitation after all.
Summed up my thoughts nicely there RCS (and Joey's post below).

If Evans and his mob wound their necks in, and quietly went about the appeal process I would have a lot more time for them but their actions thus far have done nothing but make most right-minded folk perceive them as the dregs of society.

The abuse aimed at Jessica Ennis only confirms to the majority of us the intelligence and morale standard of Mr Evans and his supporters.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Pressure takes it toll. Blades cut ties. He will have to find somewhere else to train.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30054475" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;