About bloody time

WARNING: This section may contain jokes or topics of an offensive nature.
Recommended for over 18's only. Send Admin a PM to request exclusion.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
New legislation on the cards to clamp down on what must be the most deadly, most common but most under policed and under punished crime.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carltonrei ... parliament" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My weekly reporting of criminal behaviour to the police and council can finally end!
ctfc-fan
There are times when this could cause accidents, if you start overtaking but don’t have enough power to get passed for instance.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
ctfc-fan wrote:There are times when this could cause accidents, if you start overtaking but don’t have enough power to get passed for instance.
If you cannot overtake within the speed limit then you shouldn’t attempt it. Don’t see the problem.
ctfc-fan
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
ctfc-fan wrote:There are times when this could cause accidents, if you start overtaking but don’t have enough power to get passed for instance.
If you cannot overtake within the speed limit then you shouldn’t attempt it. Don’t see the problem.
Rubbish and you know it. If someone is doing 50 in a 60 then you doing 60 won’t be quick enough to get past safely at all times so sometimes you need the extra power there to get past before returning back to the speed limit.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
ctfc-fan wrote:
Rubbish and you know it. If someone is doing 50 in a 60 then you doing 60 won’t be quick enough to get past safely at all times so sometimes you need the extra power there to get past before returning back to the speed limit.
Then be patient and go at 50. Impatience is no excuse to break the law. Your line of argument says more about the mindset of the criminals than it does the regulators.
ctfc-fan
ctfc-fan wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: If you cannot overtake within the speed limit then you shouldn’t attempt it. Don’t see the problem.
Then be patient and go at 50. Impatience is no excuse to break the law. Your line of argument says more about the mindset of the criminals than it does the regulators.
When learning to drive, you are told you should keep up with the speed of the road, not sit at an inbetween speed. If a road is 60, why should you have to wait for someone if they plodding along at 40 say?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I was taught what the Highway Code said: safe and reasonable progress.

If other traffic is moving at 50mph and can’t be overtaken legally that is reasonable progress.

40mph or below would be too slow on a straight major road but could probably be overtaken legally. On a winding country road then 40 could be regarded as driving for the conditions. It is a limit not a target.

Really slow vehicles - say 20 or 30mph - should move over to let flowing traffic past. And again, if the road is wide and straight enough they can be legally overtaken easily.

To answer your question bluntly; if someone is driving 50mph and the road conditions mean you can’t overtake at 60mph then you have to be patient because a) it is the law, and b) the roads are shared spaces and if you can’t share reasonably then you’re the one with the problem.
Malabus
Ban all cars if there are less than two people in them....Europe must be tougher.
Ihearye
I wouldn't trust any government, let alone the EU, to be gathering intelligence about my movements, day and night. If they want to fit speed restriction devices, I have no great issues with that. However, enforing the use of a black box, which records and transmits data to God knows who, is a step way too far
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:I wouldn't trust any government, let alone the EU, to be gathering intelligence about my movements, day and night. If they want to fit speed restriction devices, I have no great issues with that. However, enforing the use of a black box, which records and transmits data to God knows who, is a step way too far
Seeing as every major city and transport will be doing just that in a few years time you are not going to enjoy the future.
Ihearye
Ihearye wrote:I wouldn't trust any government, let alone the EU, to be gathering intelligence about my movements, day and night. If they want to fit speed restriction devices, I have no great issues with that. However, enforing the use of a black box, which records and transmits data to God knows who, is a step way too far
Seeing as every major city and transport will be doing just that in a few years time you are not going to enjoy the future.
Doing what ?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:
Doing what ?
Collecting real time data on what citizens are doing and how they are moving to inform predictive and responsive service provision.
Ihearye
would argue there is a bit of difference in montoring trends, footfall etc. as opposed to a tracking device beong forcibly installed in your car, Tracking your movements, speed , style of driving, where you stop where you park for a period of time and this being fed back to a central database and your personally being recorded and being able to be identified.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:would argue there is a bit of difference in montoring trends, footfall etc. as opposed to a tracking device beong forcibly installed in your car, Tracking your movements, speed , style of driving, where you stop where you park for a period of time and this being fed back to a central database and your personally being recorded and being able to be identified.
Footfall monitoring...old hat. I’m talking about facial recognition, constant mobile connectivity, and as shared transport/mobility-as-a-service rolls out tacking of individuals movements, where they go, by which modes and which times etc.
asl
I've long advocated that, as part of the birth registration process, a DNA sample should be taken and stored for posterity. So long as it's secure, unsolvable violent crime and identity theft virtually wiped out in a generation.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Ihearye
Ihearye wrote:would argue there is a bit of difference in montoring trends, footfall etc. as opposed to a tracking device beong forcibly installed in your car, Tracking your movements, speed , style of driving, where you stop where you park for a period of time and this being fed back to a central database and your personally being recorded and being able to be identified.
Footfall monitoring...old hat. I’m talking about facial recognition, constant mobile connectivity, and as shared transport/mobility-as-a-service rolls out tacking of individuals movements, where they go, by which modes and which times etc.
So in how many years time will Cheltenham (for rexample), have facial recognition, be tracking me on my phone. knowing what I am eating and what I do 24 hours a day? With the trend noving more and more towards holding less personal information and needing the individuals permission to hold that info, What portion of the population do you think will allow this information to be held on them?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:
So in how many years time will Cheltenham (for rexample), have facial recognition, be tracking me on my phone. knowing what I am eating and what I do 24 hours a day? With the trend noving more and more towards holding less personal information and needing the individuals permission to hold that info, What portion of the population do you think will allow this information to be held on them?
You haven’t got a f*cking clue about smart cities obviously. Believe what ever the f*ck you like and leave it to the professionals. You have picked the wrong topic to argue about here and frankly when my day job is with one of the world’s leading consultancies supporting city national governments, global investment companies and tech suppliers on their smart city strategies it is pointless me discussing it with argumentative but unknowledgeable sh!ts like you. Your point is not just five years out of date it is fundamentally wrong and that is the last I am saying on the matter. Read a few hundred case studies and few hundred more of the latest reports then we can talk again. Jesus wept.
Andy
RCS. Why the abusive rant ? Uncalled for I think, turning a debate into personal abuse. He only asked a few questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ralph
Ihearye wrote:

You haven’t got a f*cking clue about smart cities obviously. Believe what ever the f*ck you like and leave it to the professionals. You have picked the wrong topic to argue about here and frankly when my day job is with one of the world’s leading consultancies supporting city national governments, global investment companies and tech suppliers on their smart city strategies it is pointless me discussing it with argumentative but unknowledgeable sh!ts like you. Your point is not just five years out of date it is fundamentally wrong and that is the last I am saying on the matter. Read a few hundred case studies and few hundred more of the latest reports then we can talk again. Jesus wept.
And yet you act like a spoilt little child on here with outbursts like that...
ctfc-fan
Jeez RCS, chill out. Totally uncalled for. Especially as you appear to be an expert on every matter.
Ihearye
Andy wrote:RCS. Why the abusive rant ? Uncalled for I think, turning a debate into personal abuse. He only asked a few questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wouldn't worry. I expect little else. TBH I thought I was merely asking a few questions as you say.

Says so much about the individual than anything else. Thank goodness for the block button
ctfc-fan
I’m assuming RCS has gone into a self imposed exile.
Ihearye
wouldnt know and tbh not interested have blocked him. I certainly dont need the likes of him in my life, in any form no matter how nebulous.

Happy Easter
Ralph
ctfc-fan wrote:I’m assuming RCS has gone into a self imposed exile.
No he's still been on here. He seriously has some issues though.
Ralph
RCS, as you refuse to open your PM i sent you (but are still visiting the forum), read this....

Try acting like an adult and maybe a little like your company expect you to behave (if you were even telling the truth about what your job role is). You have come out with way too many "fcuk you's" in the last week. You are embarrassing yourself.
Shade
Back on topic, I wonder what speed they will decide as a limit. Obviously, different parts of Europe have different speed limits and parts of the autobahn have no speed limit at all. The national speed limit in the UK is 70mph, so people will still be able to go over twice the speed limit in a 30mph zone, but if driving abroad the cars will be limited to less than foreign national speed limits.

I admit, I haven't read much about this or this thread as it seemed to quickly go off-track, so apologies if there are simple answers to these.

It would be a great shame if someone was rushing someone to hospital by car because no ambulance is available, but arrived too late because they couldn't go over 70 on a 12 mile motorway journey, for example.
Andy
Shade wrote:Back on topic, I wonder what speed they will decide as a limit. Obviously, different parts of Europe have different speed limits and parts of the autobahn have no speed limit at all. The national speed limit in the UK is 70mph, so people will still be able to go over twice the speed limit in a 30mph zone, but if driving abroad the cars will be limited to less than foreign national speed limits.

I admit, I haven't read much about this or this thread as it seemed to quickly go off-track, so apologies if there are simple answers to these.

It would be a great shame if someone was rushing someone to hospital by car because no ambulance is available, but arrived too late because they couldn't go over 70 on a 12 mile motorway journey, for example.
Shade,

I think the proposals are that the cars will have some form of speed limit recognition software, either through cameras seeing speed signs or GPS knowing the position of car and referring to map data for speed limit of road etc, this would then trigger the car to limit to that speed - however, it also says that this could be overridden then by the driver by just accelerating more - but it would mean knowingly and deliberately breaking the speed limit (which hopefully might result in harsher penalties where someone has deliberately overridden safety features to speed).
Ihearye
Despite other more learned comments. I constantly see cambridge analytica flashing up!
Shade
Andy wrote:
Shade wrote:Back on topic, I wonder what speed they will decide as a limit. Obviously, different parts of Europe have different speed limits and parts of the autobahn have no speed limit at all. The national speed limit in the UK is 70mph, so people will still be able to go over twice the speed limit in a 30mph zone, but if driving abroad the cars will be limited to less than foreign national speed limits.

Shade,

I think the proposals are that the cars will have some form of speed limit recognition software, either through cameras seeing speed signs or GPS knowing the position of car and referring to map data for speed limit of road etc, this would then trigger the car to limit to that speed - however, it also says that this could be overridden then by the driver by just accelerating more - but it would mean knowingly and deliberately breaking the speed limit (which hopefully might result in harsher penalties where someone has deliberately overridden safety features to speed).
Thanks Andy. Sounds like a very expensive thing to set up. I'm sure the tax payer/vehicle buyer will be extorted one way or the other to pay for it.

So, basically...it's going to almost be a kind of in-car speed camera, for want of a better analogy. They'll be hooking them up so fines are automatically dished out when the car is detected as going over a speed limit before long.

1984 is creeping closer.
Ihearye
Well who would have thought !
San Francisco becomes first city to ban the use of facial recognition
"The emerging technology will not be allowed to be used by local agencies, such as the city’s transport authority, or law enforcement."

Seems the obvious and relentless move to having our lives recorded and monitored. Is not so obvious or relentless after all.