Frying pan to fire

WARNING: This section may contain jokes or topics of an offensive nature.
Recommended for over 18's only. Send Admin a PM to request exclusion.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
No Deal to be 2-3 times more damaging to the economy than Covid, according to LSE analysis.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... vid-report" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Johnsons Red Army
No deal Brexit was always going to happen with Cummings running the show.

What a disaster!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
It is ok if you are rich enough:

https://uk.mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKCN26F2D2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Malabus
What was the point of 100,000's of brave Britons to liberate the European continent during the last war.
Now they (EU) are dumping 1000's immigrants on our shores and sueing the UK and threatening food shortages if we dont cave in to their vicious demands.
How can any true Brit still wish to be a member of this absurd system.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
asl
Are there any stats showing whether or not the UK would have enough workers to sustain the pension system if we took out *all* immigration (both future and existing)? Forget about the sustainability of the businesses that they work in for the moment - I think we all know the NHS, care and hospitality industries would crash without them: I'm thinking purely about tax revenues covering the welfare system (where almost 50% of my own tax goes - as opposed to the <2% that goes to the EU.)

I think it's widely known that it was that precise fiscal shortfall projection that led to Germany welcoming so many immigrants over the last decade - I'm just curious about our own situation. Genuine question - not just deliberately trying to boil Malabus' p1ss.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Malabus wrote:What was the point of 100,000's of brave Britons to liberate the European continent during the last war.
Now they (EU) are dumping 1000's immigrants on our shores and sueing the UK and threatening food shortages if we dont cave in to their vicious demands.
How can any true Brit still wish to be a member of this absurd system.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
The point of the liberation was to end the type of nationalism proposed by the most extreme Brexiteers and to create freedom to trade, move and work around Europe which Brexit is set to end.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote:Are there any stats showing whether or not the UK would have enough workers to sustain the pension system if we took out *all* immigration (both future and existing)? Forget about the sustainability of the businesses that they work in for the moment - I think we all know the NHS, care and hospitality industries would crash without them: I'm thinking purely about tax revenues covering the welfare system (where almost 50% of my own tax goes - as opposed to the <2% that goes to the EU.)

I think it's widely known that it was that precise fiscal shortfall projection that led to Germany welcoming so many immigrants over the last decade - I'm just curious about our own situation. Genuine question - not just deliberately trying to boil Malabus' p1ss.
No. The ‘dependency ratio’ (working age people per pensioner) was a problem and only being kept high enough by immigration when I was at school studying this stuff almost 20 years ago and has only got worse since.

Similar for the replacement ration (births per adult woman) which without immigration would have been less than needed to maintain our population level.

Japan is the counterfactual: with munch much less immigration their two lost decades of zero growth and stagnation is a result of the ageing society and declining workforce.

It is a well documented and researched fact that immigration is a net contributor to the treasury in the U.K.
SHANDY VOR
One life, one world, one chance.

Peace
Shade
:lol:

The Proud Boys, with their logo of a starstruck cock. I was amazed when I read that they weren't a pro-LBGT+ group.
asl
Take it to PM or the playground.

I'll tidy this thread up in a moment - but any more and it will be locked and the pair of you given a thick ear.

Update: a number of posts in this thread now deleted and a couple carefully edited. By all means have a discussion on the topic, but the moment it turns into mud-slinging and personal insults, it ceases to be appropriate for this forum.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote:Take it to PM or the playground.

I'll tidy this thread up in a moment - but any more and it will be locked and the pair of you given a thick ear.

Update: a number of posts in this thread now deleted and a couple carefully edited. By all means have a discussion on the topic, but the moment it turns into mud-slinging and personal insults, it ceases to be appropriate for this forum.
Interesting you allow comments about “true Brits” not wanting to have “thousands of immigrants dumped on us by the EU” to stay unchallenged but remove posts questioning that view and the thought process behind it.
asl
I guess it's the difference between 'a point of view' and 'a personal insult.'
SHANDY VOR
I'm quite happy to have my post deleted.

It was typed with venom, and added nothing to the debate. And I really don't believe that Mal believes any of what he types on here, he does it for effect and WUMery.

I just feel a bit embarrassed that I took the bait :)
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
SHANDY VOR wrote:I'm quite happy to have my post deleted.

It was typed with venom, and added nothing to the debate. And I really don't believe that Mal believes any of what he types on here, he does it for effect and WUMery.

I just feel a bit embarrassed that I took the bait :)
You’re the better man.
SHANDY VOR
It depends against which criteria you judge.

And I don't like to think of myself as better than anyone else, simply at least equal to them. Life shouldn't be a competition.