Does anyone have this issue...?

WARNING: This section may contain jokes or topics of an offensive nature.
Recommended for over 18's only. Send Admin a PM to request exclusion.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Malabus
When I test my broadband download speed on my Samsung A-10 tablet I get a reading of around 51mbps (5ghz wifi). Then on my other tablet, Fusion5, exactly the same SSID I get a reading of around 20mbps.

Does anyone have the same issue?

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Andy
Not got exact same things but get various readings throughout the house from different devices at different times of day.

Only good way of testing what speed you get at home is hardwiring time router and running Speedtest.

Various factors disturb WiFi signals throughout a house and also depends on aerials within devices etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Malabus
Andy wrote:Not got exact same things but get various readings throughout the house from different devices at different times of day.

Only good way of testing what speed you get at home is hardwiring time router and running Speedtest.

Various factors disturb WiFi signals throughout a house and also depends on aerials within devices etc.

Yeah...connect the laptop to the router later. Thanks.

ctfc-fan
What frequency does the Fusion use?

As mentioned, it comes down to a variety of factors and if it’s an ISP supplied router then it will never be the best, despite what they may claim.
asl
I like the way my BT-provided app tells me I have a download speed of 57mbps while SpeedTest says it's more like 22mbps. That's a shocking exaggeration by the ISP!
Red Duke
asl wrote:I like the way my BT-provided app tells me I have a download speed of 57mbps while SpeedTest says it's more like 22mbps. That's a shocking exaggeration by the ISP!
Just done mine, not the same experience: Speedtest showed 31.35, BT showed 32.4. Pretty similar scores.
Malabus
ctfc-fan wrote:What frequency does the Fusion use?

As mentioned, it comes down to a variety of factors and if it’s an ISP supplied router then it will never be the best, despite what they may claim.
5 GHZ

Malabus
asl wrote:I like the way my BT-provided app tells me I have a download speed of 57mbps while SpeedTest says it's more like 22mbps. That's a shocking exaggeration by the ISP!
Same here. I use BT smart hub 2 and the speed test on the BT app/website saying around 50 mbps

ctfc-fan
Change the Speedtest server a few times as it makes a massive difference
Andy
Happy with my results - this laptop is really old so only gets about 100Mbps, but it will do until I get my new one repaired.

Malabus
Andy wrote:Happy with my results - this laptop is really old so only gets about 100Mbps, but it will do until I get my new one repaired.

Crikes, that's fast.
asl
Just you feck right off, Andy... ;)
Andy
asl wrote:Just you feck right off, Andy... ;)

LOL - better not show you my usual speed then (just used my work laptop on wifi to get this reading which is what i usually have around the house when the equipment is more up to date LOL):

I am on the 300meg Virgin Media package.
Shade
I'm with Virgin, I think I'm on 100mb. 4 or 5 year old Virgin superhub 2, 5ghz, currently 74.5 download, 9.83 upload. I think I'm a lucky one as I've seen a lot of people with Virgin superhub issues.

However, I have a fairly cheap tablet which struggles to even connect sometimes.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Cheap-ass Plusnet for us. Get about 65mb plugged in from office to the router along a 20 metre cable.

WiFi much less, between 5 and 20 depending on device but never have any problems streaming two different services on two different devices as the same time.

Not sure what I would gain from having 300mbs.
Malabus
Andy wrote:

LOL - better not show you my usual speed then (just used my work laptop on wifi to get this reading which is what i usually have around the house when the equipment is more up to date LOL):

Who are the 1%?

ctfc-fan
Shade wrote:I'm with Virgin, I think I'm on 100mb. 4 or 5 year old Virgin superhub 2, 5ghz, currently 74.5 download, 9.83 upload. I think I'm a lucky one as I've seen a lot of people with Virgin superhub issues.

However, I have a fairly cheap tablet which struggles to even connect sometimes.
Turn the router WiFi off and put in a Ubiquiti UniFi AC AP Pro and it’ll be so much better.
Andy
Malabus wrote:
Andy wrote:

Who are the 1%?

Me. Lol.

Shade
ctfc-fan wrote:
Shade wrote:I'm with Virgin, I think I'm on 100mb. 4 or 5 year old Virgin superhub 2, 5ghz, currently 74.5 download, 9.83 upload. I think I'm a lucky one as I've seen a lot of people with Virgin superhub issues.

Turn the router WiFi off and put in a Ubiquiti UniFi AC AP Pro and it’ll be so much better.
You mean put the superhub in modem mode and hook up another router? I have looked into it and probably will at some point.
ctfc-fan
Shade wrote:
ctfc-fan wrote:

You mean put the superhub in modem mode and hook up another router? I have looked into it and probably will at some point.
Nope still use it as the router and just disable both wireless channels (2.4 and 5Ghz) and use an external access point. You can add a complete router though but cheaper just the AP.

Our tv and random devices used to disconnect whenever they felt like it until I added the standalone AP
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I think the government NHS Covid app could benefit from advise from some of the posters above....

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/soft ... -6tzstqnr9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Andy
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:I think the government NHS Covid app could benefit from advise from some of the posters above....

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/soft ... -6tzstqnr9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It’s just one big joke. I had a pop up saying I’d been in close contact or something, clicked to go read the full message and the app opened and there is nowhere in there to read messages or see exactly what it was saying to do. I just got the all clear still.

Then a few minutes later I had another pop up and again went to read it - still nothing in the app.

Where can you read messages in it???

Oh well.

Shade
ctfc-fan wrote:
Shade wrote:
ctfc-fan wrote:[Turn the router WiFi off and put in a Ubiquiti UniFi AC AP Pro and it’ll be so much better.
Nope still use it as the router and just disable both wireless channels (2.4 and 5Ghz) and use an external access point. You can add a complete router though but cheaper just the AP.

Our tv and random devices used to disconnect whenever they felt like it until I added the standalone AP

Oh OK, I'll look into it. Thanks.
ctfc-fan
Andy wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:I think the government NHS Covid app could benefit from advise from some of the posters above....

It’s just one big joke. I had a pop up saying I’d been in close contact or something, clicked to go read the full message and the app opened and there is nowhere in there to read messages or see exactly what it was saying to do. I just got the all clear still.

Then a few minutes later I had another pop up and again went to read it - still nothing in the app.

Where can you read messages in it???

Oh well.

That’s to do with the way Google and Apple run the app. The newer version gives two pop ups, the second gives you the answer of whether you need to isolate or not.
Andy
Aye but unfortunately I clicked on it without reading it fully and it opened the app and disappeared. No where in the app can I see what my message(s) were.

Red Duke
It is good to know that NHS Covid App is achieving the world beating status as promised by Boris.
ctfc-fan
Red Duke wrote:It is good to know that NHS Covid App is achieving the world beating status as promised by Boris.
It’s not Boris’s fault. Everyone wanted them to use the Apple and Google system and moaned when they didn’t but it’s limited and causing odd alerts as above.
Ihearye
Red Duke wrote:It is good to know that NHS Covid App is achieving the world beating status as promised by Boris.
A few individuals are having problems but is working well for everybody else ......
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:
A few individuals are having problems but is working well for everybody else ......
Incorrect. And tiresome. Stop embarrassing yourself.
Red Duke
ctfc-fan wrote:
It’s not Boris’s fault. Everyone wanted them to use the Apple and Google system and moaned when they didn’t but it’s limited and causing odd alerts as above.
Yes it is Boris's fault. He is guilty of over promising and under delivering.
Ihearye
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Ihearye wrote:
Incorrect. And tiresome. Stop embarrassing yourself.
merely following the startling logic of the Obi Wan Kenobi of stats and internet. However, given that, incorrect and tiresome are very apt adjectives for his preachings
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Well you obviously struggle to follow the logic so let me spell it out.

1. If a couple of posters on the RNF experience different connection problems but the rest of the RNF and most CTFC fans commenting on Twitter do not then the obvious logic is the connection problem is at the user end. Not necessarily user error, but a problem of some sort known or unknown.

2. If nearly all posters on the RNF and CTFC fans on Twitter experience the same problem (as seen the other week for browser users) then the obvious logic is the connection problem at the supplier end.

It is that simple and I doubt anyone would argue against that logic. Apologies for having to spell it out so clearly, but it seems most of your angst is misinterpreting glib/flippant remarks where I assume readers will infer things - a bad assumption on my part so will try and spell out more in future.

In the case or the NHS app, the problem described is about how the app relates to Apple and Google software. So a problem at the user device, but one which should have been known and mitigated against by the NHS app developer.