FGR vs Grimsby

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Shade
No, BUT...and it's a big but...the teams with the most money should be able to recruit the best players and manager and be right up there pushing for the title. I didn't say it would guarantee it. FGR will have a big budget, but so will York and Dagenham, so they SHOULD be up there challenging. Which is all I've said, tbh.
Robin
Agree with both of you, the fact we had a big budget meant we could cherry pick the best players last summer but it's was Gary's ability to mold them into a top team which won us the league.
Si Robin
Dagenham have the best manager for the Conference in John Still. I think people are writing them off like fans of most other clubs fans wrote us off. Daggers will be up there next season, and will arguably be FGR's biggest challengers in my mind.

York on the other hand are a basketcase again and won't challenge.
Robin
John Still is a good manager yes Si but didn't he take a little while to get Luton up? Also not sure anyone wrote us off, we were one of the favourites from the outset, with bookies and media alike.
ctfc-fan
Why should teams get a parachute payment? It doesn't exactly promote fair play IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shade
ctfc-fan wrote:Why should teams get a parachute payment? It doesn't exactly promote fair play IMO.

It's the club, not the team. If we hadn't have had it we'd be f#!$. It's so people don't lose their jobs, Academy's don't have to close, etc. At least, not straight away, anyway.
Si Robin
Robin wrote:John Still is a good manager yes Si but didn't he take a little while to get Luton up? Also not sure anyone wrote us off, we were one of the favourites from the outset, with bookies and media alike.
He became manager in Feb 2013 and was promoted at the end of the 13/14 season.

I wasn't talking about bookies or pundits either, I was talking about fans of other clubs on other forums. Just like here where people are giving their opinions, on other forums (fora?) there was barely anyone who had us doing better than upper mid-table or just scraping into the playoffs.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
ctfc-fan wrote:Why should teams get a parachute payment? It doesn't exactly promote fair play IMO.

True, it rewards failure in a sense. Yes we would be screwed and jobs would go but that is business. The club made poor manager appointments and poor player acquisition decisions. If jobs were lost the Board would have to live with the guilt of knowing they cost people's jobs. Parachute payments allow people like Mike Ashley make bad decisions but face no undue risk. It also inflates Prem wages as clubs know big wage bills are protected to a degree by parachute payments. If that safety net was not their they might think twice before handing out huge contracts. I never like failure being rewarded.
Red Duke

Parachute payments were introduced to maintain promotion between Premier League and the Football League at 3 up and 3 Down and for the Chairmen of Football League clubs to agree to the introduction of two up and two down between the Football League and the Conference.

If they weren't in place, the likelihood is that it would be one up and one down between the Football League and Premiership and also with the Conference.
Malabus
John Still is a bit over rated. Just my opinion.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Malabus wrote:John Still is a bit over rated. Just my opinion.
I agree with you there.