New contracts

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Robin
With relegation becoming very unlikely I feel it's important we get GJ on his new deal and tie down both Billy Waters and Liam Davis as soon as possible so that we can pro-actively begin building a team to challenge next season. I'd wait before offering any other deals but these three are crucial in my eyes.
horlickfanclub
April will be the time to sort things out.
Fuller
TBH I don't think Billy will be here next season.
He is still a young player with enormous potential and a fantastic workrate, just needs to improve his finishing.
I'm sure he would have been offered a new long term deal at the same time as Harry but we've not heard a word.
I personally expect him to be at a higher placed club next season, although we would get compensation.
Artemis
Billy's work-rate was immense last night. He was looking for the ball all over the pitch. Noticeably less intensity upfront after he was replaced by Dan Holman, who seemed to be waiting for the ball. Billy's work-rate, positioning and intensity with Dan's finishing - would be some player....

For what its worth, I doubt Billy will be here next season.
Last edited by Artemis on 01 Mar 2017, 09:24, edited 1 time in total.
horlickfanclub
He will improve in time but his finishing is why he is Div 2.
DingDing
Billy is only 22, he'll be here next season unless someone pays us a handsome amount of money.

If he gets 20 league goals this season his value even through compensation would be more than decent, given the development he's made here.

I can see him signing a 2 or 3 year contract if we are in decent form for the remainder of the season, the team's potential has been evident in the last few games and if he feels he can kick on here still (as Pell suggested for himself) then I see no reason why he'd look to leave unless we received an offer too good to turn down.
Robin
Billy is doing very well but I would be surprised if he were to leave unless a league one side took a punt on him. He's still very raw, small and a bit of a rough diamond. I would offer him a two year deal with the view to turning him into a good league one player. I fear Liam Davis is more likely to leave he's on a short term deal and can walk for nothing but looks a very good player at this level.

I feel getting these two tied down and GJ too allows us to begin assessing the squad for next season with the key pegs already in place.
Shade
I don't think Billy would have been offered a new contract when Pell was. Pell had interest from other clubs, there were rumours at the time and it was confirmed by Pell himself, as he said he was unsure whether to stay or move closer to home. He was offered a new contract in January in order to stop him leaving either then or this summer. I don't believe anyone would have come in for Billy in January, therefore no new contract. Yet.
Robin
Agree Shade however he can now talk to clubs about a summer move so we should get him and Liam tied down in anticipation of interest. Let's not wait until the summer for these two knowing there will be interest, if they then refuse to sign we can start thinking of replacements early.
London Exile
Waters and Davis should be offered new terms asap.
I'd have no problems in seeing most of the current squad being offered new terms to be honest - Barts, Storer, Munns and Dayton are key members of our squad and more than capable of playing at L2 in my opinion.
horlickfanclub
Why divide the squad by picking favourites now? The Manager will deal with this. Having said that I would offer Danny Wright a five year contract and testimonial against a Robin Select X1
Robin
Because Davis and Waters are comfortably our best two players who are out of contract so let's be pro-active.

As it stands I would offer the majority of the squad new one year deals with Waters getting a two year deal.

I would release Downes, Parslow, AMS, Jennings and maybe Lymm. Of the loans I would try to sign Scotty and Wootton if they are available for small five figure fees only. Pike, Diego haven't done enough and I can't imagine Diego, Tin and Manny would be available, maybe I am wrong.
Shade
With a bit of luck, and with some convincing of Brentford that we will be at the other end of the table, hopefully we can get Manny back next season. As long as it doesn't become another drawn out Dickie saga.
confused.com
Oooohhhhh matron