Robins Trust Announcement

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Robins_Trust
Good Morning All,

Please see belo announcement from the Robins Trust.

Many Thanks

Tarran

Dear Robins Trust Member

It has been a pleasure to represent the Robins Trust supporters on the CTFC board for the last two years and for myself to be the first fan elected director at Cheltenham Town FC was a fantastic achievement after 10 years of hard work.
During the last year I have been completing two roles on the CTFC board as fan elected director and also Finance Director. Much debate has occurred regarding these roles and I have always felt I was best placed to complete both roles to the best of my ability.

I have previously stated that I would stand for re-election in April and would continue to stand for as long as I felt I was the best placed to complete the dual roles. The role of Fan Elected Director can be a thankless task but also very rewarding with a great deal of hard work. It brings its successes and I have loved every moment of the last two years.
I always felt that if I ever was to step down from the role I would like the next person to be one that knew the workings of the trust and also our unique football club very well.

I have discussed this with supporters direct and also my position and they have been very supportive of the Fan Elected Director Role and that of the Robins Trust.

I recently took a call from Murry Toms who wanted to understand my position as Finance Director and Fan Elected Director and signalled he was considering standing for the role. Although not a board member of the Robins Trust Murry has been a member for many years and has been a volunteer at Cheltenham Town FC for almost 15 years. Murry may also be well known to the supporters in running the billboard campaign and also the mastermind behind the successful scoreboard campaign.

Murry brings a vast amount of media and communication skills and would be a great asset to the Robins Trust. With this in mind I plan to step down from my role as fan elected director at the Robins Trusts SGM in April but remain in my role as Finance Director on the Cheltenham Town board and support Murry in his election.

I believe this to be the best situation going forward for the benefit of the supporters in having a dedicated Fan Elected Director and also allowing myself to fully commit to being the clubs Finance Director and support the growth of the club off the field.

My role as Chairman of the Robins Trust will be addressed in due course after the SGM as well as the co-opting of new trust board members. I urge anyone who is considering joining the Trust board to do so now and be part of a new and exciting chapter of the Robins Trust.

The Robins Trust will be circulating details of the SGM and the personal statements of FED candidate in the next week.

Many Thanks
Clive Gowing
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Good honest message.

Thanks for the hard work Clive. A real driving force in the growth of the Trust and the best choice for FED.

Now the (unanswered & ignored) question around time commitments and priorities of the two competing roles will no longer be, I think I will have to renew my membership.
andgarod
I would encourage Clive to remain as chairman of the trust
Well done
Artemis
Excellent, the more trust members on the Club's board, the better. I don't think Clive can remain the Chairman of the Trust. If being FED and FD of the club is considered a conflict of interest, then FD of the club and Chairman of the Trust, to the board of which the FED reports and asks for decisions, surely is as well.

That said, fantastic work, Clive. Thank you!
IYWT
I assume Clive Gowing will have to contribute £100k of his own money to take up a position on the board as per the rules for other new directors? Or has he been allowed to invest 200k of the Trust's money for personal gain
confused.com
A well made decision. Two fingers in the pie except one. Win / Win
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
IYWT wrote:I assume Clive Gowing will have to contribute £100k of his own money to take up a position on the board as per the rules for other new directors? Or has he been allowed to invest 200k of the Trust's money for personal gain
Interesting question. An extension of my concern that Trust time and money was being used to support the Finance Director, and now you raise a very good point in further to that!
leohoenig
If I add a few comments, which is my understanding of the situation - as I am not able to attend many trust board meetings due to my work situation, this may not be 100% accurate.

Generally, Clive did not believe there was a conflict in the dual roles. He was supported in this by the trust board, and by the general concensus at the Trust AGM. It is considerably hard work to keep up both roles.

There will still only be one Fan Elected Director, as secured by the Trust contribution to the club. Clive's position as Financial Director is not secured by Trust monies. The £100K mentioned is not a fixed sum of money. If I could buy £100K worth of shares tomorrow, this would not guarantee me a place on the board. Conversely, the board can elect a member who does not make a financial contribution, but instead provides a significant amount of (unpaid) work.

The SGM will still take place, and any member who wants to express an opinion on Clive's position on the Trust board, and as chairman is entitled to put this view. Any trust member who has not received a copy of today's statement by e-mail should contact the trust to make sure your e-mail address is correctly entered in our records.
andgarod
When I put something on here from a meeting of shareholders or trust I am invariably told I am wrong
This is strange as I take minutes and produce minutes for other charities and am usually correct although I may miss some small detail. I have been witness in a number of court cases and again my recall of meetings and conversations have never been found wanting .
That said I will make a few comments and observations

Although PB has said in the pass it was £100K to get a place on the board there are a number of exceptions. In fact at one meeting he said to me if you have a spare £100K to go and see him. Its a long story that some of you know but I have moved on and the price has gone up anyway

1 I believe the going rate is now £150K ( have heard that from a number of sources)
2 Having £150 K does not get you onto the board - your face has to fit
3 If your face fits you dont need £150K or even any shares for that matter to be on the board

The trust has to have a chairman surely that is decided by the trust AGM or is this also done by anointing

I do hope that the minutes of the trust meetings are sent out in advance and that they are then adopted
It would be good that the trust meeting followed normal business meeting practices

I trust that the voting will be by ballot rather than a show of hands as this allows the dissenting voices to vote as they wish rather than what they may feel obliged to do in a show of hands

Finally an observation about trust board meetings
Surely in this day and age if members of the board are unable to attend by distance, then they either use telephone conferencing or skype or some similar media attendance

I want a trust that is able to step up if there was financial crisis at the club . Is it able to do that at the moment
Del Boy
Some people seem completely hung up on the amount it costs to be become a director. The work the directors do is much more important than the cash.

I get the feeling some are under the impression you pay your money then you've got a license to sip chablis in the board room on match days and generally lord it over everyone else.

A football club of this size is pretty unique for a relatively small business as it's run by volunteers or those who have paid significant sums to be directors. It's a crazy business really and us fans should be eternally grateful the directors do the work they do.

If CG wasn't financial director who would be?? I can't imagine there is a long queue of people with the necessary skills. So the club would have to pay someone to do that work - and it wouldn't be cheap.
Daveangel
Surprised nobody has thought to welcome and support MT on this thread.

Lovely fella, CT through and through, and a huge asset to your club.

He'll do a fantastic job.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Daveangel wrote:Surprised nobody has thought to welcome and support MT on this thread.

Lovely fella, CT through and through, and a huge asset to your club.

He'll do a fantastic job.
Yes, welcome praise Dave. And from a good source: GCFC supporters Trust do an unbelievable job, so if you back MT then that is good enough for me.
horlickfanclub
Del Boy sums it up well.
Reliant Robin
Del Boy wrote:Some people seem completely hung up on the amount it costs to be become a director. The work the directors do is much more important than the cash.

I get the feeling some are under the impression you pay your money then you've got a license to sip chablis in the board room on match days and generally lord it over everyone else.

A football club of this size is pretty unique for a relatively small business as it's run by volunteers or those who have paid significant sums to be directors. It's a crazy business really and us fans should be eternally grateful the directors do the work they do.

If CG wasn't financial director who would be?? I can't imagine there is a long queue of people with the necessary skills. So the club would have to pay someone to do that work - and it wouldn't be cheap.
Superb post. Well said Del Boy.

My view: Clive Gowing has been superb for this Club, he's an asset not only to The Board (and they would be crazy to look a gift horse in the mouth, hence retaining him as Finance Director) but also to the Trust and he has my full support in whatever role he wishes to donate his very generous time and effort to, because he gets off his ass and does stuff. I get irritated by those who like to nit-pick about alleged conflicts of interest. Clive's only interest is for the betterment of CTFC. The Trust can be well proud of themselves for now having two places on The Board and I believe it shows our Directors have great faith in what the Trust are doing.

Dave Angel: a voice of reason, and not even a CTFC fan. I will definitely support Murray Toms as FED.
horlickfanclub
Well said Reliant.
kora
Seems like a win win to me; CG by all accounts has done a great job as FD and Murry would be an excellent replacement, he's done more for this club than most of us put together.
Ralph
Del Boy wrote:Some people seem completely hung up on the amount it costs to be become a director. The work the directors do is much more important than the cash.

Agree with this 100%
hookyrobin
leohoenig wrote: The SGM will still take place, and any member who wants to express an opinion on Clive's position on the Trust board, and as chairman is entitled to put this view. Any trust member who has not received a copy of today's statement by e-mail should contact the trust to make sure your e-mail address is correctly entered in our records.
Hi Leo, can you confirm the best contact details to use? You suggested contacting Clive last time, I'm sure he's very busy but I've never had a reply. I've never received an email from the Trust since signing up years ago, and I've been trying to make sure my new (since 2014) postal address is right, but never get any joy, whether using the contact form or email. Just looking at my sent mails I've tried on (at least):
02 Feb 2017
07 Dec 2016
27 Oct 2016
21 Oct 2016
21 April 2015...

But never any response. If you have another email suggestion, that'd be great.
Robins_Trust
Hi

Please email robinstrust@outlook.com and I will pick it up from there.

Tarran