Mark Yates

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Ben3
Given the ludicrous gamble the board have taken is remarkably similar to that they made at the the beginning of our troubles, and given that I think he is a free agent, can we just stop the madness and appoint Yates when Duff is sacked?

Yates was sacked due to a moaning minority demanding something unattainable.

Johnson was sacked due to a moaning minority demanding something unattainable.

Full circle.

#yatesin
Nesty
you call people a moaning minority yet call Duff's appointment a ludicrous gamble.

we could however offer Yates a coaching roll?
Alf
No thanks. Judge Duffo on his signings not someone else's.
Lord Elpuz
I was a big fan of Mark Yates and Gary Johnson and still feel that although we would never have won League 2 with either of them, we’d have stayed in this League.

Unfortunately we have a set of fans who seem to call the shots or certainly think they call the shots. They were at it again straight after the game today, shouting abuse at the players like that’s going to work. They’ve slowly been turning against everyone at the club until, realistically, there’s not many left for them to turn against.

If Duff doesn’t get a win soon, his record will equal or be worse than that of Buckle, who got sacked after 13 games with just one win. How long before our viper’s nest of fans turn on Duff?

We’ve been here before and there’s no way back once those fans get their way. It’s not looking good.
Last edited by Lord Elpuz on 27 Oct 2018, 17:07, edited 1 time in total.
ctfc-fan
I think we should have stuck with Rusty. Results were starting to improve.
Ben3
It is quite a simple question:

STICK - Stay up, have a run in the cup, win occasionally but not equal your #FIFA2018 team

Or TWIST - demand promotion every season, even though that means we lose sensible heads and therefore go down?

Lets be clear - sacking Yates led to our relegation. Sacking Johnson will mean we are relegated this year. People knew that becuase I, and others, pointed it out. But they didnt care because they want us to lose and struggle.

(Cue moral outrage that always ensues when I say this. Yes - I do think that the moaning minority on here want us to lose. Yes - that is proven in their actions. And NO - when they throw the toys out of the pram when I say this it doesn't convince anyone.)

Sad to watch. Unless we try to buy the league like FGR then we are underdogs. Embrace that and stop demanding change every time we lose
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Alf wrote:No thanks. Judge Duffo on his signings not someone else's.
Strikers he got rid of have been scoring goals at their new sides, although admittedly at lower teams.
Si Robin
Those new sides are in lower divisions.
I-Love-CTFC
Keith Curle should have been appointed. Since he took over at Northampton, they've won 4, drawn 2 and lost 1.
Johnsons Red Army
Or alternatively, GJ should have been given more than 4 games.

Ben had it spot on in the first post:
Ben3 wrote: Johnson was sacked due to a moaning minority demanding something unattainable.
andgarod
It cannot be undone
so where know
CTFC03
Duff & Curle were neck on neck on some betting markets to be the new manager and if it had been me I would have appointed Curle, only because his teams are hard to beat and nothing fancy, midtable stability which is what we need but can see why the board went with Duff as he's younger and can potentiality develop with us and move on higher up the ladder and has learnt from an experienced manager in Sean Dyche but Duff has been dealt an AWFUL hand and can't do anything about it until January and it would have been the same for Keith Curle, the blame for me still lies with Johnson who had Baker wrapped around his little finger I'm told.
Ben3
Haha you couldn’t make it up - the moaning minority who hounded out baker and Yates and Johnson now saying they should have been listened to in appointing someone else

Beyond hilarious

This site - it’s priceless!

Baker gone abused by the site, Johnson gone ditto, Yates gone ditto.

Enjoy the conference you haters
asl
Ben3 wrote:Lets be clear - sacking Yates led to our relegation.
And...
Ben3 wrote:Baker gone abused by the site
With the greatest of respect, Ben3, I'm rarely given to saying someone's personal opinion is nonsense - but both these two statements are complete and utter tosh (putting it politely.)

Baker abused on this site? Very rarely and by few - and they were always - always - shot down by everyone else within minutes. I'd say 99.9% consider him to be one of CTFCs all-time heroes who deserves to have the new main stand (should that ever happen) named after him.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
CTFC03 wrote:Duff & Curle were neck on neck on some betting markets to be the new manager and if it had been me I would have appointed Curle, only because his teams are hard to beat and nothing fancy, midtable stability which is what we need but can see why the board went with Duff as he's younger and can potentiality develop with us and move on higher up the ladder and has learnt from an experienced manager in Sean Dyche but Duff has been dealt an AWFUL hand and can't do anything about it until January and it would have been the same for Keith Curle, the blame for me still lies with Johnson who had Baker wrapped around his little finger I'm told.
League Two relegation battle. Would you rather an experienced manager who knows L2, or a man who has no experience of managing in any division?
Artemis
Hail hit on head RCS. Johnson was the experienced head last time round. Another one needed this time round.
An inexperienced former player was just nostalgia, playing to the family club image, rather than the realities of struggling lower end league 2
Benctfc
Is this the same Mark Yates who has failed with both Crawley and Macclesfield and not lasted more than a couple of months at both ... Yeah just what we need I have nothing against Yates he did a decent job here but lets not make him out to be a good football league manager he isnt.
Artemis
Yes, but there are plenty of experienced heads out there that aren't called Mark Yates and have a far better track record.