FA Cup 3rd Round and beyond

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Fuller
So that's us done with the FA Cup for another year and it's now 6 seasons since we got to Round 3 when we played Everton.
I've was thinking back of the other years we got through.
I always recall '01/02 and '05/06, but was racking my brain to recall what other years we had some success. I remember the trip to Spurs but when else did we get to Round 3 and beyond ?
Anyone recall or got all the stats please ?
Robin
Reading was the first time I can recall.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Fuller wrote:So that's us done with the FA Cup for another year and it's now 6 seasons since we got to Round 3 when we played Everton.
I always recall '01/02 and '05/06, but was racking my brain to recall what other years we had some success. I remember the trip to Spurs but when else did we get to Round 3 and beyond ?
Fulham away was 03/04 season. Always remember as it was FFC’s first in the Prem before Saha left, when the FA/PL made them play at Loftus Rd, and during my first year at university in London. In fact, I had been to see Fulham beat Bolton (Facundo Sava - The Man in The Mask) the day of the third round draw. We made it to the old school boozer on the edge of China Town and asked them to put the draw on, joking it would be a coincidence if Chelt got Fulham. It was already underway, and having missed the start we got to the end without Chelt being drawn....I said “we haven’t seen Fulham either!” Then the full list of fixtures comes up, and up near the top there it is: “Fulham vs Cheltenham Town”. And one horrific miss-kick from Bob Taylor away from our best ever result.

Reading home draw and replay was 97/98 season. Trevor Morley saving the Royals from a deserved defeat at WR.
Jerry St Clair
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: Reading home draw and replay was 97/98 season. Trevor Morley saving the Royals from a deserved defeat at WR.
The general consensus is that that was the worst Reading side in living memory. After winning the replay at Elm Park we played another 22 games that season and lost 17 of them. It really was the pits. Cheltenham should have won that game and we genuinely expected Cheltenham to embarrass us in the replay.
Fuller
I remember ex Reading player Keith Knight missing a glorious chance for us late on in the home game. But it was a great night (The original Saturday game was called off due to a waterlogged pitch.)
We knew Cotts boys had really arrived that night. The rest is history.
Flux
3rd round or beyond for us has happened 9 times with our best being Round 5

2012-13 Vs Everton Round 3
2011-12 Vs Tottenham Round 3
2008-09 Vs Doncatser Round 3
2005-06 Vs Newcastle Round 4
2003-04 Vs Fulham Round 3
2002-03 Vs Sheff Utd Round 3
2001-02 Vs West Brom Round 5
1997-98 Vs Reading Round 3
1933-34 Vs Blackpool Round 3

lost in round 2 on now 7 occasions
2017-18 Accrington Stanley
2016-17 Sutton Utd
2014-15 Dover Athletic
2010-11 Southampton
2000-01 Cardiff City
1992-93 Bournemouth
1947-48 Hull City
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Flux wrote:3rd round or beyond for us has happened 9 times with our best being Round 5

2012-13 Vs Everton Round 3
2011-12 Vs Tottenham Round 3
2008-09 Vs Doncatser Round 3
2005-06 Vs Newcastle Round 4
2003-04 Vs Fulham Round 3
2002-03 Vs Sheff Utd Round 3
2001-02 Vs West Brom Round 5
1997-98 Vs Reading Round 3
1933-34 Vs Blackpool Round 3

lost in round 2 on now 7 occasions
2017-18 Accrington Stanley
2016-17 Sutton Utd
2014-15 Dover Athletic
2010-11 Southampton
2000-01 Cardiff City
1992-93 Bournemouth
1947-48 Hull City
Ah yes, I forgot Doncaster was Round 3 and not 2. The laughing ref admitting he didn’t give us a penalty to deny us a match vs Aston Villa (with the draw already having been made before our game). Along with Weso snapping his shin the laughing ref incident was a decisive fork in the journey of our season. Still hard to take.
Si Robin
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Fuller wrote:So that's us done with the FA Cup for another year and it's now 6 seasons since we got to Round 3 when we played Everton.
Fulham away was 03/04 season. Always remember as it was FFC’s first in the Prem before Saha left, when the FA/PL made them play at Loftus Rd, and during my first year at university in London. In fact, I had been to see Fulham beat Bolton (Facundo Sava - The Man in The Mask) the day of the third round draw. We made it to the old school boozer on the edge of China Town and asked them to put the draw on, joking it would be a coincidence if Chelt got Fulham. It was already underway, and having missed the start we got to the end without Chelt being drawn....I said “we haven’t seen Fulham either!” Then the full list of fixtures comes up, and up near the top there it is: “Fulham vs Cheltenham Town”. And one horrific miss-kick from Bob Taylor away from our best ever result.

Reading home draw and replay was 97/98 season. Trevor Morley saving the Royals from a deserved defeat at WR.
Sorry to be a pedant RCS but you don't remember it that well. Fulham were promoted to the Prem in 2001 - they played two seasons at Craven Cottage before having to groundshare whilst the new ends were built.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Si Robin wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:

Sorry to be a pedant RCS but you don't remember it that well. Fulham were promoted to the Prem in 2001 - they played two seasons at Craven Cottage before having to groundshare whilst the new ends were built.
Oops. I must have misremembered at the time due to the excitement. Thanks for clarifying!
Shade
Remember a Fulham fan coming up to me after the game and saying what a good team we had. Ironic that our most experienced player effectively cost us a replay.

Thanks for the list. Without that I wouldn't have known that I've been to our last 5 FA Cup 3rd round games. Nor that there had only been 5 in the last 15 years. Still, not a bad recent ratio compared to the previous 115 years.