Register    Login    Search    FAQ



CTFC.com Official Site Cheltenham Town FC 500 Club

Other Useful Links:     Leo's Blog    Robins Trust    CTFC Chatter    Football Ground Guide    This is Gloucestershire    News Now    CTFC History Site

Board index » THE NEST » CTFC CHAT ONLY




 Page 1 of 2 [ 41 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next



Author Message
 Post subject: Radio commentary
 Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019, 16:27 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2011, 10:17
Posts: 5547
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Tell us what's happening on the pitch !!!!!


Top  Share on FacebookShare on Twitter
 Post subject: Re: Radio commentary
 Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019, 16:38 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 25 Nov 2009, 23:57
Posts: 2163
Location: Heart of the Forest, Glos
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
No chance with ja ja ja ja James yyyyyyyyy young


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Radio commentary
 Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019, 17:03 
Offline

Joined: 13 Nov 2018, 12:42
Posts: 7
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Horteng wrote:
No chance with ja ja ja ja James yyyyyyyyy young
Out of order horteng. It's 2019 ffs

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Radio commentary
 Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019, 18:19 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2011, 10:17
Posts: 5547
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
I gave up trying to listen to it in the end. PLEASE no more anecdotes, statistics and reminiscences Mr Young its so boring and frustrating


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Radio commentary
 Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019, 18:24 
Offline

Joined: 08 Oct 2016, 14:09
Posts: 153
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Agree wholeheartedly Nesty....


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Radio commentary
 Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019, 18:29 
Offline

Joined: 17 Aug 2017, 12:15
Posts: 206
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Nesty wrote:
I gave up trying to listen to it in the end. PLEASE no more anecdotes, statistics and reminiscences Mr Young its so boring and frustrating


The game wasn’t much better though Nesty. I’m sure it’s quite difficult filling dead air with something.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Radio commentary
 Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019, 01:14 
Offline

Joined: 05 Jul 2011, 23:56
Posts: 1379
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
"..on AM and FM we have Bob Hunt commentating on FGR whilst on DAB we have The James Young Show with occasional updates on Cheltenham Town..."


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Radio commentary
 Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019, 10:06 
Offline

Joined: 04 Aug 2011, 12:02
Posts: 2976
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
He needs to play back the commentary and then have a think about how people trying to follow the match must struggle. Peter Mathews and James Young poor together. Last week with Mark Helliwell and Paul Furley was a good commentary.
Sometimes James Young is patronising about League Two. That is what we are and what we follow James.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Radio commentary
 Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019, 10:26 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 21 Nov 2009, 04:27
Posts: 20530
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times
horlickfanclub wrote:
He needs to play back the commentary and then have a think about how people trying to follow the match must struggle. Peter Mathews and James Young poor together. Last week with Mark Helliwell and Paul Furley was a good commentary.
Sometimes James Young is patronising about League Two. That is what we are and what we follow James.


I assume Mark Helliwell is new, because whenever I listen to commentary with Mark Haillwell, description of the match is very lacking amongst his angry hissing and ranting and obsessing about whichever player he hates that week or not letting go some random incident no one else cares about. And on the occasion he does describe the action it seems to bear no resemblance to what anyone at the ground saw or what the highlights show. Listening to Halliwell feels like someone jabbing their finger in your face as you close your eyes trying to keep out the bits of spit flying in your face whilst they rant on for two hours about a little inconsequential thing they have got worked up about. I find James Young a lot nicer, easier and enjoyable to listen to.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Radio commentary
 Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019, 11:03 
Offline

Joined: 17 Aug 2017, 12:15
Posts: 206
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:

I assume Mark Helliwell is new, because whenever I listen to commentary with Mark Haillwell.


If you’re going to correct someone’s obvious typing mistake, it’s usually best practice to make sure you get it right as well. LOL.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Radio commentary
 Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019, 11:34 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2011, 10:17
Posts: 5547
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Hailiwell that ends well


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Radio commentary
 Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019, 12:56 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2009, 12:19
Posts: 13163
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Easy to criticise others from here but I do find both Halliwell and Young slightly annoying in their commentary, Pete Matthews always very good though.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Radio commentary
 Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019, 13:02 
Offline

Joined: 23 Dec 2009, 02:56
Posts: 4470
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 3 times
I'm just happy to have the commentary with the Ifollow feed. Last year there was no commentary.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Radio commentary
 Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019, 14:30 
Offline

Joined: 24 Nov 2009, 11:20
Posts: 3559
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
I Randall


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Radio commentary
 Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019, 15:18 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2011, 10:17
Posts: 5547
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
51/84 wrote:
I Randall


sheer class ............. "and its Boka............... Boka Freeman"


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Radio commentary
 Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019, 20:44 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 23 Jan 2012, 19:55
Posts: 984
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Horteng wrote:
No chance with ja ja ja ja James yyyyyyyyy young


Have a word with yourself please. :roll:


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Radio commentary
 Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019, 21:46 
Offline

Joined: 03 Dec 2009, 10:22
Posts: 1206
Location: Cotswolds
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
At least you all can listen in to the commentary. Here in the radio wave silence of the nearby Cotswold mountainous and wooded regions, static and white noise is prevalent. DAB is just as bad, at least on my 'unused' one!
Any ideas posters?


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Radio commentary
 Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019, 23:12 
Offline

Joined: 19 May 2015, 19:31
Posts: 645
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times
You phone your family who get perfect DAM reception ( If they do not have a DAB radio - give them yours)

You ask them to switch the radio on to Radio Glos for the Cheltenham match
They then put their phone nearby and you listen
Simples


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Radio commentary
 Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019, 09:31 
Offline

Joined: 28 Dec 2009, 21:36
Posts: 1913
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 1 time
I know BBC Glos have explained this at length, but quite why FGR are on both analogue frequencies simultaneously is still beyond me.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Radio commentary
 Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019, 11:00 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 21 Nov 2009, 04:27
Posts: 20530
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times
theidlerich wrote:
At least you all can listen in to the commentary. Here in the radio wave silence of the nearby Cotswold mountainous and wooded regions, static and white noise is prevalent. DAB is just as bad, at least on my 'unused' one!
Any ideas posters?


1) Take legal action against BBC for not providing the service you pay for with your licence fee, and then...

2) accept an out of court settlement for BBC R Glos to pay for an iFollow subscription so you can listen to the radio commentary on ctfc.com / iFollow app.

That way the BBC are held to account, the club benefit from a subscription and you get the iFollow experience for free.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Radio commentary
 Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019, 11:43 
Offline

Joined: 21 Nov 2009, 10:11
Posts: 1521
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Robin wrote:
Easy to criticise others from here but I do find both Halliwell and Young slightly annoying in their commentary, Pete Matthews always very good though.

Except when he makes any incident near the penalty area a certain goal,at either end this is a strain on the old heart !


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Radio commentary
 Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019, 12:17 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2011, 10:17
Posts: 5547
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
I am grateful to the lads for the commentary and in the main it is very very good. Just sometimes it gets frustrating when you can hear the crowd oohing and aahing and they are talking statistics -


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Radio commentary
 Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019, 12:49 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 27 Sep 2010, 14:02
Posts: 10607
Location: Cheltenhamshire
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
I am also grateful for commentaries. Doesn't mean they can't be improved. The main problem for me is that they don't DESCRIBE the action enough. Too often when they're taking a trip down memory lane you don't know what's going on. If the ball is out of play or someone is down injured, tell us first and explain why it happened, not a minute or two into the ramblings just mention that the ball is out of play. When someone has a shot and it's gone out for a corner to one team or another, tell us that - don't just say *player* shoots and it's a save by the goalkeeper. A save by the goalkeeper doesn't tell us that the ball has gone out for a corner. If you listen to a commentary on R5, the commentators always describe what they see - they are our eyes. With CTFC commentaries, 25% of a game you have to guess what's going on because they're too interested in tedious links or memory lane. As mentioned, Ian Randall is the only one that describes a game, the whole game, as they see it.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Radio commentary
 Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019, 12:51 
Offline

Joined: 05 Jul 2011, 23:56
Posts: 1379
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
...I'm grateful for a commentary too,but summarisers are pretty superfluous for me.
This also applies to TV pundits like Carragher and Co and they are people who have actually played the game.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Radio commentary
 Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019, 13:07 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 21 Nov 2009, 04:27
Posts: 20530
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times
Shade wrote:
I am also grateful for commentaries. Doesn't mean they can't be improved. The main problem for me is that they don't DESCRIBE the action enough. Too often when they're taking a trip down memory lane you don't know what's going on. If the ball is out of play or someone is down injured, tell us first and explain why it happened, not a minute or two into the ramblings just mention that the ball is out of play. When someone has a shot and it's gone out for a corner to one team or another, tell us that - don't just say *player* shoots and it's a save by the goalkeeper. A save by the goalkeeper doesn't tell us that the ball has gone out for a corner. If you listen to a commentary on R5, the commentators always describe what they see - they are our eyes. With CTFC commentaries, 25% of a game you have to guess what's going on because they're too interested in tedious links or memory lane. As mentioned, Ian Randall is the only one that describes a game, the whole game, as they see it.


There is a reason they are working for R Glos and not 5 Live.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Radio commentary
 Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019, 13:16 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2011, 10:17
Posts: 5547
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Shade wrote:
I am also grateful for commentaries. Doesn't mean they can't be improved. The main problem for me is that they don't DESCRIBE the action enough. Too often when they're taking a trip down memory lane you don't know what's going on. If the ball is out of play or someone is down injured, tell us first and explain why it happened, not a minute or two into the ramblings just mention that the ball is out of play. When someone has a shot and it's gone out for a corner to one team or another, tell us that - don't just say *player* shoots and it's a save by the goalkeeper. A save by the goalkeeper doesn't tell us that the ball has gone out for a corner. If you listen to a commentary on R5, the commentators always describe what they see - they are our eyes. With CTFC commentaries, 25% of a game you have to guess what's going on because they're too interested in tedious links or memory lane. As mentioned, Ian Randall is the only one that describes a game, the whole game, as they see it.


There is a reason they are working for R Glos and not 5 Live.


I doubt whether the summarizers get much more than expenses paid. and as I have said most of the time its very good, and I suppose my tolerance level dipped with the score line !!


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Radio commentary
 Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019, 14:12 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 27 Sep 2010, 14:02
Posts: 10607
Location: Cheltenhamshire
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Shade wrote:
I am also grateful for commentaries. Doesn't mean they can't be improved. The main problem for me is that they don't DESCRIBE the action enough. Too often when they're taking a trip down memory lane you don't know what's going on. If the ball is out of play or someone is down injured, tell us first and explain why it happened, not a minute or two into the ramblings just mention that the ball is out of play. When someone has a shot and it's gone out for a corner to one team or another, tell us that - don't just say *player* shoots and it's a save by the goalkeeper. A save by the goalkeeper doesn't tell us that the ball has gone out for a corner. If you listen to a commentary on R5, the commentators always describe what they see - they are our eyes. With CTFC commentaries, 25% of a game you have to guess what's going on because they're too interested in tedious links or memory lane. As mentioned, Ian Randall is the only one that describes a game, the whole game, as they see it.


There is a reason they are working for R Glos and not 5 Live.


"Doesn't mean they can't be improved".


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Radio commentary
 Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019, 15:32 
Offline

Joined: 04 Aug 2011, 12:02
Posts: 2976
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
I agree Shade.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Radio commentary
 Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019, 16:53 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 27 Sep 2010, 14:02
Posts: 10607
Location: Cheltenhamshire
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Part of the trouble is that at least two of the above mentioned see us on the RNF as "that moaning lot" and dismiss us as completely backward when compared to their superior knowledge, so there won't be any notice taken.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Radio commentary
 Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019, 18:02 
Offline

Joined: 17 Aug 2017, 12:15
Posts: 206
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
I’m sure if anyone wants to apply to help out then Radio Gloucestershire would be glad to hear from you.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Radio commentary
 Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019, 18:16 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 27 Sep 2010, 14:02
Posts: 10607
Location: Cheltenhamshire
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
If only I had the luxury of being able to a) do that for a job or b) had the time to "help out".


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Radio commentary
 Post Posted: 17 Jan 2019, 18:21 
Offline

Joined: 05 Jul 2011, 23:56
Posts: 1379
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
.... I'm feeling slightly guilty about criticising the summarisers now as they face a long old trip to Carlisle on Saturday.
Hopefully their commentary spot isn't exposed to the elements.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Radio commentary
 Post Posted: 17 Jan 2019, 19:45 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2011, 10:17
Posts: 5547
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
.........i am feeling guilty about raising the subject ..... no offence meant to anyone.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Radio commentary
 Post Posted: 18 Jan 2019, 11:09 
Offline

Joined: 21 Nov 2009, 10:11
Posts: 1521
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Nesty wrote:
I gave up trying to listen to it in the end. PLEASE no more anecdotes, statistics and reminiscences Mr Young its so boring and frustrating

The worst commentator did the Eufa youth matches,just stat`s and pointless facts unrelated to the match in progress,i had to turn the sound off he rarely named a player in possession any way.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: Radio commentary
 Post Posted: 18 Jan 2019, 18:33 
Offline

Joined: 03 Dec 2009, 10:22
Posts: 1206
Location: Cotswolds
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Nesty wrote:
.........i am feeling guilty about raising the subject ..... no offence meant to anyone.

.
......don't be. It may help in the long run, especially if Radio Glos "listens in" and as a result trials a few new and different wannabe commentators. It will be interesting see if they do!
.
.RCS, Shade, Nesty etc now's your chance....;)


Top 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
 Page 1 of 2 [ 41 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next




Board index » THE NEST » CTFC CHAT ONLY


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 13 guests

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: