Player to miss start of season

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

kora
According to JP one of our players is ill and will miss pre-season and the kick off; anyone know anything?
Robin
Nope not heard anything but I'd hate for it to be Flinders, Hussey or any of our three centre halves.
paperboy
...perhaps we should all watch the ctfc training session video and work out who is missing.
Hope they get well soon whoever this mystery man is.
horlickfanclub
I hope the other dozen you don't mention feel cheerful Robin . Its bad news for whoever it is.
Shade
As selfish football fans, we hope it's a player likely to start the season as a sub but naturally we all wish whoever it is a speedy recovery. Whatever illness it is, it must be nasty to rule them out for at least the next 5 or 6 weeks, and longer I assume. Just hope it is something that will go away in time and nothing too serious.
kiaora84
I heard a rumour last week about Long picking something up in Africa. I dismissed at first, but now seems plausible. Didn’t see him any of the training videos released today either.

Whoever it is, I hope it’s nothing too serious and they get well soon
Pie
Flinders was in the video, however I do not believe Reid was :?
kiaora84
Pie wrote:Flinders was in the video, however I do not believe Reid was :?
JP confirmed Reid was there today on Twitter
everyman
kiaora84 wrote:I heard a rumour last week about Long picking something up in Africa. I dismissed at first, but now seems plausible. Didn’t see him any of the training videos released today either.

Whoever it is, I hope it’s nothing too serious and they get well soon
Long time no see ?
Ben3
I bet it’s one of the FGR lads, victim of one of Vince’s cruel slow-acting vegan time bombs

(See how I turned it round to FGR right there?)
Robin
If it's Long he's becoming a real sick note, admittedly through no fault of his own but at least we have adequate replacement in Broom.
Si Robin
Your empathy knows no bounds Robin.

Never mind the fact that a bloke in his 20s is ill - to the point that he won't be able to play football for at least a couple of months - it's all about how it affects the team...
horlickfanclub
A player gets injured in a friendly and gets branded " sick note" . Come on Robin. Get behind the players.
Mr Wendal
I spoke to someone at the club who works with the players and asked what/who it was, his reply was: “I can’t say anything mate, but apparently its really bad”

Granted there’s not a lot of info to go on but whoever it is I wish them all the best
Robin
It sounds absolutely awful but we are all speculating, we simply do not know who it is or what it is.

If it's Long he will have been signed on a two year deal on rumoured high wages and played a handful of games in eighteen months. That is the point I am highlighting.
Si Robin
And your point is bullshit - for want of a better word.

You refer to him as a sicknote (again assuming it is Long) without taking into account that if, as speculated, he has picked something up whilst away in Africa, it was doing something for the club.

Regardless of who it is however, the impact on the player not being in the team is secondary to the fact that we should all be wishing them their best health and that they get back up and running asap, be that Sean Long, Luke Varney or even someone almost out of the door like Tom Smith.
kiaora84
Guys, just to make absolutely clear what I heard was a rumour, with no credibility whatsoever.

I haven’t seen Clements in any of the videos either.

Whoever it is, I hope they get well soon and I am sure that they have everyone’s full support.

Just saw Long in the latest video
Robin
So it's not Long either by the looks of it. I think we all need to becareful with too much speculation.
everyman
paperboy wrote:...perhaps we should all watch the ctfc training session video and work out who is missing.
Hope they get well soon whoever this mystery man is.
Our England senior player hasn`t been training,he might have picked something up in Bangkok ?
Pie
kiaora84 wrote:I haven’t seen Clements in any of the videos either.
Clements was in the first video wearing number 8 on his shorts.

Long is in the latest video, only player NOT to be in a video is our most recent signing, Rueben Reid.
kiaora84
Pie wrote:
kiaora84 wrote:I haven’t seen Clements in any of the videos either.
Clements was in the first video wearing number 8 on his shorts.

Long is in the latest video, only player NOT to be in a video is our most recent signing, Rueben Reid.
JP confirmed Reid was there on the first day and there is also a photo of him talking to Booky.
asl
We could always wait and find out...?
Huw Jarse
Robin "I think we all need to becareful with too much speculation."

Pot and kettle spring to mind.

No one has any real idea what the situation is, however serious. All the very best to OUR player for a speedy recovery.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk
Pie
kiaora84 wrote:there is also a photo of him talking to Booky.
Just seen that, has there been a pic of Brennan?
kiaora84
Pie wrote:
kiaora84 wrote:there is also a photo of him talking to Booky.
Just seen that, has there been a pic of Brennan?
Yep. Only one who isn’t is Tom Smith so maybe it’s just miscommunication.

No implied someone was definitely missing on the first day so it’s not as if it’s something that happened during the day
Malabus
Connor Thomas?
kora
Pretty sure I saw Connor.
Pie
Ill or Injured??

https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/s ... le-3068369" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Robin
Hmmm, football clubs have been known to cover things up with injuries before, I feel we should respect the privacy of the individual if indeed it is an illness.
asl
If it *is* a knee injury, did we miss it when we did his medical - or did we know about it and took him on knowing he'd need the surgery (although why delay it for a week in that case...?)

Robin may well be right on this one...
Artemis
Or perhaps, as per the report, the injury occurred on Friday in training. Again, as per report, the club, following medical advice, decided to have it operated on straight away rather than manage it.
Andy
Artemis wrote:Or perhaps, as per the report, the injury occurred on Friday in training. Again, as per report, the club, following medical advice, decided to have it operated on straight away rather than manage it.
But we’ve been told not to trust anything footballers say...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Artemis
What about the club? Can we trust anything they say?

Anyway, if it isn't Reid, then who is the player who is ill (rather than injured)?
Shade
Whoever it is, we're 2 bodies down until at least September already. I assume this means extra loans, if we can afford them (unless the ill player wasn't going to be first squad anyway).