Cheltenham Town v Bradford City

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Team news, live updates and video reaction all here this afternoon: http://bit.ly/BradfordHome" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Sensational stuff.

There can be few doubting we are promotion contenders now.
Ben3
The first 12 minutes was the best period of football I’ve ever seen Cheltenham produce. Unbelievable quality

Good spirit to come back, Bradford were poor until the 80th minute when they started looking really quite good

Three more points, onwards and upwards
Ihearye
Best 97mins since the SC era
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Watch this official club video of the players post-match on the pitch celebrating.

https://mobile.twitter.com/CTFCofficial ... 1137011717" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They know. The same way Pell and that team knew, the same way Cotterill’s teams knew. The fist pumps, the winks, the strutting. The body language of promotion winning players.
Nham68
Ben3 wrote:The first 12 minutes was the best period of football I’ve ever seen Cheltenham produce. Unbelievable quality

Good spirit to come back, Bradford were poor until the 80th minute when they started looking really quite good

Have to agree, was sensational, best ever I’ve seen in 17 yrs. In a bit of a daze.. what a game ..
art vandalay
Good times my friends. Good football against a good team.
Malabus
Ben3 wrote:The first 12 minutes was the best period of football I’ve ever seen Cheltenham produce. Unbelievable quality

Because we kept possession, no risky passes, ball on the floor and the eleven beamed with confidence.

I've been crying out for years that being patient and keeping possession will win you soccer matches anywhere in the world

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Robin
That was superb stuff very reminiscent of our 3-0 win over Southend where it was clear we would challenge. It's still very early in the season but that looked like a side that will be up there this season to me, incredible to also think it was a team missing 3-4 first teamers too.
everyman
Ihearye wrote:Best 97mins since the SC era
It`s just like S.C.`s days with more quality !
Ihearye
Malabus wrote:

Because we kept possession, no risky passes, ball on the floor and the eleven beamed with confidence.

I've been crying out for years that being patient and keeping possession will win you soccer matches anywhere in the world

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Very true. Some of the quick short passing to get themselves out of trouble. Well, it had me in my head thinking, just kick the ball. However, they didn't and it was a joy to waych. The whole team showed belief in themselves and in eachother
Huw Jarse
Just watched short highlights on RP, and gutted i couldn't be there. Three very decent goals. Great win lads! [THUMBS UP SIGN]

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk
Ihearye
from Bradford forum -
Cheltenham passed the ball and moved it quickly. Their play was refreshing to watch. We lumped it forwards in the main and weren’t as comfortable on the ball. Cheltenham were better than us and worth the win. We did create more in the second half but the worry is how little control we had in the middle of the pitch again. The game passed palmer and Anderson by. Cheltenham played 3/5/2 by the look of it and were comfortable in possession even in tight spaces. We weren’t. We went longer earlier which suggests we don’t have the ball players to play through the middle.
Cheltenham are the best side I’ve seen this season. Most sides have been so poor. The only surprise was it was as close as 3-2.
Robin
That's a good neutral point of view and similar to what the Salford fan told me on Saturday. Although I actually thought Bradford were a good team and whilst individually not many of their players would get into our side they put us under a lot of pressure in the last ten minutes and will cause teams problems with their aerial threat and organisation.
Alf
I think we’ve got ourselves a football team!
The best thing for me was that we had belief in our game plan and stuck with it when Bradford came back at us, which showed the confidence that we now have.
paperboy
....gutted like many others who couldn't get to the game not to have seen what was one our best ever displays from the stands.
Glad I shelled out £10 to watch on ifollow though.
Shade
I said after Salford that if we turned Bradford over I think we'll be in for a play-off shout, and that performance only enhanced my opinion. I don't think we've reached the heights of the 3-0 v Southend game because that performance was truly outstanding, a near enough perfect 10/10. We still need to find that balance of conceding less at home and scoring more away - an obvious comment that applies to all teams, but if we can find that then we could even be looking at challenging the top 3. As I've said before, the most encouraging thing about this start is that we still have several players to come back from injury who would have been first XI players at the start of the season. The worry is whether Thomas is going to be ok for Saturday because we would literally have 3 fit midfielders and they'd all be starting, assuming Sheaf won't be ready.

Two more big tests to come now with Plymouth away and 2nd placed Crewe at home. I know it's only 9 games but that table at the top of the page looks nice.
Shade
I just also want to say Chris Hussey was immense last night. His ball winning when the likes of Zeli Ismail were trying to run him down the wing was absolutely brilliant. And his ball in for the winner... Absolutely no doubts whatsoever he's the best left back in League 2 and is running some of the legends close for "best CTFC left back".
Old Coventrian
I'd be a bit happier if we did not look so vulnerable at the back, especially on the counter. For all our wonderful play and greater possession, lets not lose sight of the fact Bradford had as many shots as we did, and we were lucky not to concede more to their counterattacking. We've had to come from behind against Scunthorpe, Swindon and Bradford.

We are looking very good, and I agree with everything being said bout the quality of the passing etc, but we're only 9 games in. If we're still in the play-off places after the Newport game then I might start to get carried away :)
Shade
Whilst I agree it's early days, we have essentially picked up and improved on the second half of last season. So, in my eyes, we're about 30 games in :D
Alf
I think I would rather us push the opposition back, as we did last night, and risk the odd counter attack than pull everyone back and risk losing 1-0. I’ve always believed in the positive approach in football. You create chances by taking the game to the opposition, sure there are risks as there were last night but to win games you have to score more than the opposition.....which we did.
Nesty
The good times are back. The way we fought back from 1-0 down and stuck at it - superb.
Robin
I think last night turned a solid/encouraging start into a good one but the next two games are going to be really tough so I want to keep a little level headed for now.
drgm
The difference between the first nine games of this season and the first nine of last is incredible
Ben3
I haven’t verified this, but if true it’s remarkable!

https://twitter.com/jonpalmersport/stat ... 54017?s=21" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shade
It is true, if you believe JP, as he did an article on it yesterday. https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/s ... ch-3332880" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nobody has scored more goals at home, either. Obviously 15 at WR so far this season, and playing the bottom 2 and 17th place has helped that, but we've also scored 5 against Bradford and Swindon, which is impressive.

Obviously, I would imagine that we have played more league games at home this calendar year than Liverpool though!
Ben3
Shade wrote:Obviously, I would imagine that we have played more league games at home this calendar year than Liverpool though!
Yes of course, but still very good!

This is why I predicted we’d go well this season before it began. We were going well last season, at home at least, and the additions to the squad and more time Duffy has had with them, means it’s building on that good work rather than appearing out of nowhere