Boot Zoom: Brown, Duffy, Penn & Lowe on 2011/12 season

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

CTFC Official
https://www.ctfc.com/news/2020/may/the- ... enn--lowe/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hubert Parry
Thanks for this. Different dynamic from the other ones due to the less glorious outcome. There is some clear tension with some of Mark Yates' decisions. Having Mark there to defend himself would have made for a fascinating discussion!

Also get a sense that Scott Brown wasn't a particular fan of Gary Johnson (unless I misunderstood what he said about that relegation season). On an aside, I also noted one of Scott Brown's recent tweets which didn't sit comfortably with me: https://mobile.twitter.com/Scotty_brown ... 2009417728" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't think anyone was moaning about being in the playoffs per se, more that concerns have been raised about how they would work in practice.

That's going off topic.

Thanks for another great zoom. They are really lifting the spirits in lockdown!
Si Robin
I don't have any issue with the tweet. Given Vale looked like they were going to get into them due to their great run of form, I completely see his point should anyone actually be complaining about having to play in them. Not everyone has the opinion that it's only a logistical issue - I have seen some Cheltenham fans claiming we should just be awarded promotion in 4th place.

I also noticed his comments about Johnson, and I think that stems mainly from the fact that he didn't come here permanently in the summer of 2017. I got the impression he saw a move here as a great way to round off his career, and I don't think it's any secret that Johnson not being prepared to pay the nominal fee (£5k was it?) meant we ended up with Jon Flatt. Fortunately, we lucked out by signing Scott Flinders who has gone completely against his nickname earned at other clubs of Flapper.

One thing I've noticed in these videos - and I suppose it's quite obvious really - our best seasons have come when the players have clearly got on well away from the pitch as much as on it. No prima-donnas in the changing room. In this one, or the 06 one, they mentioned a player (I forget the name now) who clearly didn't fit in and didn't last long at the club. Get the right characters in and it works from there.

Regarding Yatesy, whilst Russ and Darryl were clearly hurt by being left out of the playoff final, it's telling that none of them had a truly bad word to say about him. Russ still considers him a friend even, and Scott flat out refuses to accept that he is the cause of our relegation (I agree wholeheartedly with this by the way, others will disagree).

These have been great watches, and I can't recommend them highly enough. So far they've concentrated on our big successes though, I'd like to get them in on something like the Burton 6-5 game, or what it was really like playing under Martin Allen - I know a couple of players actually thought he was good for them.
Hubert Parry
Players do hold different opinions. On the Undr the Cosh podcast, many guests hold Martin Allen in high regard and many fail to summon a good word to describe Steve Cotterill or Gary Johnson. It seems obvious but different characters will get on with different characters.
Jon Palmer
We'll be discussing the Burton games ('97 and '10) next, as well as the 07/08 Leeds games - any other requests?
Si Robin
Fantastic - I look forward to them JP
Hubert Parry
I think Doncaster would be fascinating.
Another_FoD_Robin
Hulbert - Have you got a episode name for the Under the Cosh podcasts relating to Gary and Steve. I’m very much intrigued to listen to them.
Hubert Parry
Testing my memory, but the recent Robbie Blake one went into some detail about Steve Cotterill (and I think the Glen Little one did too). I am pretty sure the Clarke Carlisle ones went into Cotterill and/or Johnson as well. Aaron Wilbraham went into detail about Martin Allen.

There are probably others.
Another_FoD_Robin
Thank you Hulbert
Horteng
Cheers JP. Look forward to listening later on tonight

Really enjoyed the one with the National league champs
Fuller
Excellent work JP & Joycie, I have really enjoyed the ones I have watch so far, I love the honesty of the players and the good humour and banter too.