Retained list updates

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
One departure already confirmed: https://bit.ly/CTFCRetained" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nesty
shame we cannot read these websites without all the pop-ups, cookies etc etc
asl
Spoiler: it's Rhys Lovett. You have to read an awful long way to find out who.

Not really a surprise: he's at an age where I imagine he wants to play.
Hubert Parry
Smith, Varney and Ince have gone.

Clements and Debayo ongoing discussions.
Last edited by Hubert Parry on 23 Jun 2020, 16:51, edited 1 time in total.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Five have gone:

“Rhys Lovett, Archie Brennan, Rohan Ince, Jonte Smith and Luke Varney have been released.”

JP reporting some players offered contracts on lower terms.

“Left wing-back Josh Debayo has been offered a new contract, while negotiations are ongoing with midfielder Chris Clements.”
Hubert Parry
I am very sad about Reg. I don't think he is easily replaceable.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Hubert Parry wrote:I am very sad about Reg. I don't think he is easily replaceable.
Irreplaceable really. Do you think he would have stayed had we gone up, or do you think Duff felt his legs had gone for L2 level, let alone L1?
Horteng
Hubert Parry wrote:I am very sad about Reg. I don't think he is easily replaceable.
I think Reg has another year in him on a reasonable contract i.e not too expensive
little mo
Ian Henderson released by Rochdale. Good player,experienced and has always scored goals. Could he be a good replacement for Reg?
asl
Suspect Reg was on good money. Shame, but In Duff We (have to) Trust. Not overly surprised nor disappointed about the others.

I half suspect Broom might be transfer-listed for the same reason. I think our budget is going to be cut, drastically...
Andy
Horteng wrote:
I think Reg has another year in him on a reasonable contract i.e not too expensive
Wish that was true but he couldn’t even come back after 3 months off without getting injured sadly.

Be sorry to see him go but if he stayed it might have only been for a handful of games so might have been an expensive option.

That said, I hope he does get another year or two somewhere but not against us. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
theidlerich
Good professional, will be an invaluable asset to another club. Wish him well for his future.
Believe MD has the nucleus of a decent side, but a few good picks required. Suspect mid table next season, but all depends on how we and the other teams fare financially.
I shall miss the action very sorry to say.
Bring on the vaccines..........
Robin
asl wrote:Suspect Reg was on good money. Shame, but In Duff We (have to) Trust. Not overly surprised nor disappointed about the others.

I half suspect Broom might be transfer-listed for the same reason. I think our budget is going to be cut, drastically...
Not sure I agree there, Varney wasn't here for the money, he just loved playing. I'm sure he wasn't at the bottom end of our pay scale either but I highly doubt he was/is one of the top earners. The reality is very few clubs are offering deals to players because of the uncertainty of not knowing when next season will begin or whether we will have crowds at games. For that reason all budgets will be slashed including ours.
I-Love-CTFC
Jamille Matt released by Newport.
Robin
I would take Matt here although possibly we have that sort of player in Reid.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I would take Matt, and Bennett, the defender who they have also had to release. Bennett will had another experienced and influential figure into the defensive unit, which would help Boyle and Raglan recover from this week and kick on next season.
cliffy90
Northampton announced their retained list today. Amongst those departing are Alan McCormack, Jordan Turnbull and Andy Williams. I'm sure Williams has been linked with a move here in the past. https://www.ntfc.co.uk/news/20202/july/retained_list/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hubert Parry
I would take McCormack
paperboy
Hubert Parry wrote:I would take McCormack
Played well against us and at Wembley
Being 37 next birthday and managing only 15 appearances this season doesn't make him too appealing IMO

Billy Waters unsurprisingly released also after 3 seasons of under achievement.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
If we had McCormack playing for us in the second leg we would have gone through.

Had we had him at Scunthorpe we wouldn’t have lost the game.

Might be 37 and with limited appearances, but even if he makes 15-20 appearances that could be the difference in the games where we have been out muscled or needed some steel in the side. It could turn six defeats in to draws. And a few of our many draws into victories.
Robin
I don't see us signing McCormack or bringing Williams back myself.
longmover
Hubert Parry wrote:I would take McCormack
he seems very angry all of the time, what's his disciplinary record like? He would add some much needed bite in midfield but cant see Duff risking a 37 year old with an unknown budget
Si Robin
According to Soccerbase - his last sending off was in March 2010.

In the role he plays, he tends to pick up 8/9 yellows a season as well, which is to be expected I'd say.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Si Robin wrote:According to Soccerbase - his last sending off was in March 2010.

In the role he plays, he tends to pick up 8/9 yellows a season as well, which is to be expected I'd say.
If they tactical Guardiola-style fouls then that could 8/9 counter attack goals saved a season. Things which make the difference between finishing third and fourth.

We need to be ruthless next season. Play the nice stuff as usual but let’s aim to be unbeaten all season. If that means some robust play and tactical fouls then so be it.
Ben3
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: let’s aim to be unbeaten all season
Not going to happen, I'm afraid. I've heard from a very good source that Duff has already earmarked the games he is hoping to lose or draw.
asl
I think the operative word is "aim"...

I'd hope we go into EVERY game aiming to win.

Sent from my SM-G9860 using Tapatalk
asl
Yes, Ben, I realise you weren't being serious...

Sent from my SM-G9860 using Tapatalk
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ben3 wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: let’s aim to be unbeaten all season
Not going to happen, I'm afraid. I've heard from a very good source that Duff has already earmarked the games he is hoping to lose or draw.
In the grown up professional world Ben people and organisations only state an aim for something which is achievable and realistic.

I suspect very very few clubs would go on the record as stating going unbeaten is their aim.

Yes everyone dreams and hopes they could, but for pretty much every club it is not a realistic aim.

It should be for us.

This is why clubs like Bournemouth have an aim to stay up in the Premier League whilst others aim for top seven, etc. They all hope to win the league, but it is only an aim for a small handful.

:roll:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:I would take Matt here although possibly we have that sort of player in Reid.
Matt signs for FGR:

https://www.fgr.co.uk/news/july-2020/fo ... mille-matt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pas
Nesty wrote:shame we cannot read these websites without all the pop-ups, cookies etc etc
If you are happy to try a new internet browser you should see a huge reduction in the rubbish that you experience - https://brave.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
longmover
pas wrote:
Nesty wrote:shame we cannot read these websites without all the pop-ups, cookies etc etc
If you are happy to try a new internet browser you should see a huge reduction in the rubbish that you experience - https://brave.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
is that Brave Browser any good? Safe etc
pas
I’ve been using the Brave browser for the last year or so and have not had any problems. The lack of ads is the big bonus for me and it’s pretty quick too.
Artemis
Without those pop-ups, ads and cookies to generate revenue for glos live, either there would be nothing to read or it would be behind a paywall.
If it bothers you that much, and you really want to read it without your visit being the revenue stream, then try an ad blocker on an incognito browser. But if we all did that, then the result would be as above.
Artemis
pas wrote:I’ve been using the Brave browser for the last year or so and have not had any problems. The lack of ads is the big bonus for me and it’s pretty quick too.
Interesting piece on Brave and its business model:

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3 ... hey%20like" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Artemis wrote:
Without those pop-ups, ads and cookies to generate revenue for glos live, either there would be nothing to read or it would be behind a paywall.
If it bothers you that much, and you really want to read it without your visit being the revenue stream, then try an ad blocker on an incognito browser. But if we all did that, then the result would be as above.
Just set up a premium version to pay for with no ads. No reason to expect news media to be free.