Boot Zoom: Luke Varney on leaving Cheltenham Town

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

CTFC Official
https://www.ctfc.com/news/2020/june/the ... ke-varney/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Horteng
Do think Reg had another year in him. Will take some replacing
paperboy
Thanks Jon,Richard and and of course Reg for the insight into his time at the club.

I think he could have had another year with us in League 2 ,but with Reuben triggering a contract extension there wasn't room for both of them.

Hope Reg shakes off his hamstring issues and fires some goals in next season wherever that might be.
thetonga
Personally feel it’s a big loss and mistake letting him go. Whilst we don’t know the ins and outs of his deal and what of the budget is still available, in my opinion he is a far better option as a target man than Reid. He also makes a good point in that he was very effective when playing alongside Barnett as the striker playing off a target man. His versatility to be able to cover either role and the insight he can offer to the more inexperienced strikers with his previous experiences higher up is a real loss. I feel he would have been worth a risk even with the fitness concerns.

Genuinely think if he was on the pitch on Monday, we wouldn’t have seen the capitulation that we did. He is a real leader and would have stood up to the Northampton onslaught.

Best of luck to him with his next club, sure he would always be welcome back at Whaddon Road and remembered very fondly.
Hubert Parry
It does sound as though our budget has been slashed. Duff will have to make some difficult choices. I think he has already said that he has already made decisions that he didn't want to take but had to owing to the circumstances
horlickfanclub
Luke Varney ,future Manager when Michael steps up the League.
Hubert Parry
Except that he says that he doesn't want to go into management.