Watch Saturday's Carabao Cup game online

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

CTFC Official
https://www.ctfc.com/news/2020/septembe ... me-online/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Huw Jarse
With the iFollow streamed games, does anyone know how much if any of the £10 goes to the club(s), and in what proportion?

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk
Si Robin
My understanding - and I could have this wrong - that the money goes to the club that owns the platform you're watching on. For example, if you watch through Cheltenham's IFollow then Cheltenham get the money, if you watch through Peterborough's then they do, and so on.

However, there's been talk that this will be different for League games so that the home team gets the whole amount. This is then being capped at 500 away viewers, so next week, for example, all the money goes to Cheltenham, however, anything over 500 people watching it on Morecambe's site and that money goes to Morecambe.

I think that makes sense - I appear to have rambled a bit.

I also can't remember where I saw the info about 500 cap, or if it's even been confirmed.
Shade
And do we know what proportion iFollow takes? I assume they take a cut rather than a monthly or annual fee.
Artemis
Shade wrote:And do we know what proportion iFollow takes? I assume they take a cut rather than a monthly or annual fee.
Why do you assume that? There may well be a fixed fee for the platform, with the club taking the reward for marketing the service amongst supporters. (the platform fee may have changed given the increase in numbers, but nonetheless remains a fixed fee)
Shade
Because it makes more sense for the clubs, at this level at least, to pay for a service via a cut rather than an upfront fee. It might not work that way, I don't know.

Anyway, I've just looked on the EFL iFollow webpage and it says "at least 70% of net iFollow revenues go directly to your club". So that more or less answers the question.

It also says the following clubs have opted out of using iFollow this coming season: AFC Bournemouth, Birmingham City, Bristol City, Cardiff City, Charlton Athletic, Derby County, Forest Green Rovers, Harrogate Town, Leyton Orient, Middlesbrough, QPR, Salford City, Stoke City, Sunderland, Swansea City, Watford and Wigan Athletic.

So whether that means we won't be able to watch away games at those L2 clubs mentioned, I don't know. It does say that those clubs who have not opted-in will have access to the same live streaming opportunity and will be able to provide their fans with access through their own club digital services.
Ihearye
Artemis wrote:
Shade wrote:And do we know what proportion iFollow takes? I assume they take a cut rather than a monthly or annual fee.
Why do you assume that? There may well be a fixed fee for the platform, with the club taking the reward for marketing the service amongst supporters. (the platform fee may have changed given the increase in numbers, but nonetheless remains a fixed fee)
Why do you assume that ?
Artemis
I didn't assume anything. I said there may well be..conversely, there may not be.
But it does look like there's a mixed risk model where after deductions (VAT, perhaps other fixed costs), 70% or more goes to the club.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
It makes sense for iFollow to take commission, that way they maximise revenue from the big clubs.

Say 10,000 Bradford fans stream their games, but only 1,000 Morecambe fans do that is a big difference. Now imagine iFollow trying to find a fixed price...to be a price which all clubs will sign-up to it will have to be low enough that Morecambe etc can see value in it, which means iFollow will be undercharging the likes of Bradford. Much better for iFollow to get the most they can out of the big clubs, which means a commission model.
Ihearye
Artemis wrote:I didn't assume anything. I said there may well be..conversely, there may not be.
But it does look like there's a mixed risk model where after deductions (VAT, perhaps other fixed costs), 70% or more goes to the club.
So somewhat similar to Shade, not having any proof but putting his option forward as a case?
asl
Ihearye wrote:So somewhat similar to Shade, not having any proof but putting his option forward as a case?
Why do you assume that...?

Sent from my SM-G9860 using Tapatalk
Ihearye
asl wrote:
Ihearye wrote:So somewhat similar to Shade, not having any proof but putting his option forward as a case?
Why do you assume that...?

Sent from my SM-G9860 using Tapatalk
I didn't assume, I said 'somewhat similar' :)
Leckyfan
Watching iFollow, but disappointed we have the radio Peterborough commentary. Listening to BBC Glos at same time (on DAB) but unfortunately about 30 seconds ahead. Sadly BBC Glos commentary blocked from internet, which would have made syncing up easier.
Cheltenhamshire10
Hi,

in ifollow I can choose Home or away commentary (default is home so had to change).

I have a international season ifollow pass (based in US) but for some reason I can't see the live video so not sure if it's available internationally?
Leckyfan
Cheltenhamshire10 wrote:Hi,

in ifollow I can choose Home or away commentary (default is home so had to change).
Well, I never knew that. Found the setting now, so thanks!!
Cheltenhamshire10 wrote: I have a international season ifollow pass (based in US) but for some reason I can't see the live video so not sure if it's available internationally?
So do I ;-)

I had to pay for a £10 match pass today (Carabao Cup), but apparently the EFL Trophy game at Newport (Tuesday night) WILL be included in my regular season subscription.
Artemis
Ihearye wrote:
Artemis wrote:I didn't assume anything. I said there may well be..conversely, there may not be.
So somewhat similar to Shade, not having any proof but putting his option forward as a case?
Similar, bit not the same. An option is not the same as an assumption.

Anyway, commentary good today.