Big question every close-season , but this more than most...

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Benny Profane
Who do we need & who can we (realistically) go for? I'm assuming our budget will be a little more potent this summer as befits a League 1 side, and the combined kudos of being Champions/Duff might enable us to attract players who wouldn't have given us a glance 12 months ago. But where do we need reinforcements? And as all clubs release players, who might be out there who could fit in?

From my own (limited by covid/sporadic following on ifollow) impression I don't think the squad needs a massive overhaul, & that in fact that such things can prove counterproductive. But we also can't stand still as 'good enough to win league' isn't the same as 'good enough to stay up'.

In goal is the first biggie surely, depending on Scott Fs contract decision. Is Griffiths likely to come back? Who else is out there?

Hussey is obviously a class act & I would imagine still capable at League 1, but is he getting more fragile injury-wise as he gets older? The 3 centre-backs basically pick themselves, but if Boyle goes surely we'd need more cover?

Sercombe,Thomas & Chapman are the basis of a decent midfield, but we could do with at least 2 more in the engine room surely. Would Albion let us have Finn back?

Alfie & George have quality but what about Williams? What's his contract situation? I'm not sure I'd keep him as there may be someone out there who is as strong but more, well, mobile...............

I defer to those with better contacts/guessing ability than me on this one, but I'm curious to knw what others think. And anyway, as the Mo signing showed a few years back, reputation means bugger all if you can unearth a gem (not that I'm thinking we'll get Mo back either, too expensive for us now, more that an unknown signing can blindside even the best transfer guessers). And all this & I haven't even mentioned loans (I'd have Wright & Smith back straight off)

Thoughts please!
Shade
There were a few threads about this a couple of weeks ago. General consensus is, assuming we don't lose anyone, we need a striker or two who can stick the ball in the net and some creative midfielders. The defence depends on what happens with Boyle.

Williams triggered a new one year deal due to us being promoted, so he is here for another season.

I'd prefer Wright over Azaz, if we are going to bring either back.
andgarod
as per Shade

2 strikers one with regular goals and experience
2midfield one with goals and one like Penn holding destroyer
1 CB

and 5 loans
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Not forgetting that when the back three are all fit then Long is not at centre back.

I would play him at right wing back with Blair the right of the midfield three.
tunnelvision
Shade wrote: ...
I'd prefer Wright over Azaz, if we are going to bring either back.
I'd like to see Wright return, as he was getting better with every game. Azaz was solid enough, but I wonder if he'd be more suited to a deeper role - always looking to pass forward, which could be ideal for counter attacks.
HamTown
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Not forgetting that when the back three are all fit then Long is not at centre back.

I would play him at right wing back with Blair the right of the midfield three.
Assuming Long signs of course but is he not better suited as a RB rather than a WB? I think we would miss Blair's pace on the wing
Shade wrote: I'd like to see Wright return, as he was getting better with every game.
Me too and would presumably make sense from a budgetary point of view aswell
asl
Two new strikers are a must, imho. May, Lloyd and Williams can be backup - but we cannot hope to survive in L1 with a top-scorer on 8, or whatever it was.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I still think Lloyd will get 15+ in L1.
Horteng
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:I still think Lloyd will get 15+ in L1.
How?
Artemis
Horteng wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:I still think Lloyd will get 15+ in L1.
How?
By putting the ball through the goal and into the net 15 or more times :D
Nesty
Strikers must be the area of the team that we get right, even though we finished as champions owed more to our defence than our offence.
Andy Williams had the best goals pee minutes on the pitch,, but will he be a force in L1?
Alfie May - if he converted more of his chances he would not ne playing for us.
George Lloyd is a raw talent, and one for the future, but for the moment could only be considered for bench duties

Sam Smith ? Jury still out..

Keepers ? Flinders too expensive to sit on bench if we get Griffiths back, or take anothervloan.

Given we would plan to operate on a 22-24"squad, and 2 players for every position, the defence seems well stocked, A lot depends on whether Boyle goes or not. At most we would need 1 or 2CB
Midfield - if we can get Wright and or Azaz back we could also look for a winger -

As forvBroom -yes please, also Eisa? Nice but not going to happen..

Will we see any of the players stikl on contract being released or listed?