Tozer done deal

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Robin
Cannot imagine we would sell Boyle now having lost Tozer. Someone would need to offer huge money for us to even consider it, in fact I hope part of the Tozer money goes on offering Boyle a new improved deal.
longmover
horlickfanclub wrote:Players come and go. We have the fee and a chunk of wages which should bring in someone. Freestone might grab his chance and we can change style a bit.Get some pace at the back. The quick throw in might become the new secret weapon.
Tozer faces a longer commute for his money .
He has been great but onwards and upwards. The bigger disaster will be if we lose Boyle in the next few days.
This^^
Shade
We have a pitiful fee. There is no point arguing about it. Yes, of course we have to move on now and find someone else but can we find a replacement who offers as much for £200k - the simple answer no. Nobody else would sell a player who offers as much going forward and leadership at the back for £200k. I'm sure I'm not the only one who, right now, feels like this is probably just the start and this time next season we will be back looking at fighting for mid-table in League 2. How did Yeovil, Wycombe, Burton keep their best players and improve and reach the championship? The board are a joke. I usually stick to talking about what goes on on the pitch and stick up for the club but the whole club is being run like we want to be in the national league right now, like it's some kind of safehaven. The board need to step up, move forward, communicate and get things done QUICKLY in a lot of different areas or crowds will dwindle and we will be after a new manager. Or maybe that's what they're after.

Back to matters on the pitch, Freestone is promising but not good enough to rely on every week in League One yet. The main query right now is who plays centre of the three tonight, because Boyle doesn't seem to want to judging on the first couple of games this season and we wouldn't want to lose him getting forward on the left channel, and Raglan is much better on the right of the 3. I'm assuming it will be Long, Raglan, Boyle.
Fuller
Perhaps we'll now go 4-4-2?
Part of Duff's long term masterplan?

Hope Radio Glos can grab an interview with the Chairman before tonight's game.
plymrob
What it about Wilcox? Never met the guy. From what I saw and read I always felt he was a bit of a poser? - And maybe on the back of other people's money? Were we likely to offer Tozer three years on the Wrexham wages? I doubt it... Move on... Please keep Boyle. And a few (different) on here have been keen on the abilities of Freestone, and more recently Horton. Duff's style and experience are good tutors. We are the club we are...

By the way, been to Burton loads of times (London Inn) but never the new ground. I felt they sold out when they relocated... For me, they are up ther with Rushden & D, Fleetwood, and, soon, that Nailsworth mob...
Robin
Looking at out of contract centre backs there are not many but Martin Cranie could be someone to consider, he's 34 and recently on trial at Coventry. Could come in and leverage his experience this season.
Hubert Parry
And on signing for Wrexham, he said: “It’s really exciting to see the potential of the Club, and the project going on and ever since the Club was mentioned to me, that’s something that’s driven me on to want to get this deal finalised.

“I’m relieved to have got it signed. The last few days have been stressful, and I just didn’t know which way it would go, but now it’s signed I’m relieved and looking forward to getting started.”
bigdavejambo
Robin wrote:
shevates wrote:Financialy its a good deal without doubt, especially as his contract finishes at the end of the season. Footballing wise its a nightmare losing a dam good defender and our leading assist man. That two pkayers who have dropped from the league to join Wrexham, Tozer, and Mullins, and Barrow lost there leading Striker to Stockport. Money does talk
Wrexham also signed a Carlisle centre back the other week for a rumoured £100,000, some serious money being spent up there. If they don't go up this season it will get interesting.
Parkinson will be on a fair wedge too. As for CTFC back to back relegations and christmas derbies with Gloucester beckon.
Ihearye
enjoying life with out the usual 5hit on here. Just popping in to say
Tozer - as others have said, never struck me as anything more than an average L2 defender. Slow and very prone to mistakes when doing his playing out from the back. Not great money, but we have sold a lot better for significantly less.
Long throw - In a strange way, I welcome it's departure. What kind of team pins it's hopes of scoring to a long throw? Let the forwards start to earn their corn and start scoring from open play
Wrexham - not sure a L1 captain is the kind of person to drop down to Non League. It would seem than BT see's his future in L1 as being short lived and will be caught out during the season. So quite sensibly has dropped down to a much lower standard for more money. Who would not want an easier job for more money?
Duff has always said we are a selling club, so will hardly throw his toys out of the pram
Looking forward to visiting Burton
milestones
enjoying life with out the usual 5hit on here. Just popping in to say
Tozer - as others have said, never struck me as anything more than an average L2 defender. Slow and very prone to mistakes when doing his playing out from the back. Not great money, but we have sold a lot better for significantly less.
Long throw - In a strange way, I welcome it's departure. What kind of team pins it's hopes of scoring to a long throw? Let the forwards start to earn their corn and start scoring from open play
Wrexham - not sure a L1 captain is the kind of person to drop down to Non League. It would seem than BT see's his future in L1 as being short lived and will be caught out during the season. So quite sensibly has dropped down to a much lower standard for more money. Who would not want an easier job for more money?
Duff has always said we are a selling club, so will hardly throw his toys out of the pram
Looking forward to visiting Burton
At last someone living in the real world.
Shade
Ihearye wrote:enjoying life with out the usual 5hit on here.
Yeah, seems like it. Most people who enjoy not being here are posting essays...
Horteng
Usual first interview nonsense

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58354462" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ben version 4:0
Ihearye wrote:enjoying life with out the usual 5hit on here. Just popping in to say
Absolutely spot on. His long throws have disguised the fact that he WAS regularly found out in league two, and I would be amazed if he and Duff both hadn't clocked that the likelihood of him excelling in League One was minimal.

(I'm going to cause controversy by suggesting boyle also fits that bracket, but then what I've seen of boyle recently suggests my previous thoughts on him may be wrong.)

Is freestone, or Horton, worse than Tozer? At defending I mean? I'm not convinced.

We'll miss the throw massively as any team would, and he's a great bloke and good leader so we'll miss that. But good luck to him, I hope he does really well in NL and League two
Ihearye
Shade wrote:
fine example why it is best to avoid this place more often than not :)

An essay, but still considerably less verbose than your own previous post :)
enjoy the season
Shade
Ihearye wrote:
Shade wrote:

enjoy the season
The best reason to avoid it is your lack of tolerance for other peoples opinions that differ from your own.
Hubert Parry
Tozer was desperate to leave it seems. Think we've done alright. Very disappointed in him though.
longmover
So not only did wrexham hold all the cards they also had European law on their side as well which no doubt they new, the club did all they could and got the most they could for the him. Bloxham speaks very well on the radio as well.
Horteng
Anyone got the David Bloxham interview pre match?
Hubert Parry
Just listened to that interview and I completely agree. I had no idea of that little legal quirk but it does change the landscape. With all that in mind, I think we've done more than well.

I also applaud his diplomacy but it does look like it was a pretty disagreeable end to his time here.

We move on. Onwards and upwards.
Hubert Parry
https://mobile.twitter.com/BBCGlos/stat ... 7751356418" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ralph
Ihearye wrote:
Shade wrote:

enjoy the season
But you keep coming back and reading even if you don't post...... hardly avoiding the place :lol:
Alf
If a player wants to leave there is no point in trying to persuade him to stay.
He obviously felt he didn’t owe us anything and could have walked away in four months time without the club getting a fee. We had no choice but to accept the offer.
Andy
Be honest as well everyone. If you were offered to work the last three years of your career on double pay would you said no?

We will just have to adapt and hope that in three or four games time we are saying “Ben who?”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ctfc-fan
Be interesting to see where it leaves Wrexham next season if they don’t go up with the wage cap being introduced. I guess they’ll try and find ways to use sponsorship to bump up the income figures.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
ctfc-fan wrote:Be interesting to see where it leaves Wrexham next season if they don’t go up with the wage cap being introduced. I guess they’ll try and find ways to use sponsorship to bump up the income figures.
Maybe Reynolds and McElhenny will do what Ed Sheehan does at Ipswich and just use shirt sponsorship for their latest films and shows as a means of bankrolling the club within FFP rules.
ctfc-fan
Exactly what I said and wasn’t it Cardiff that did it before but got away with it?
There should be a maximum sponsorship value based on the division the club is in.
ctfc-fan
http://www.redpassion.co.uk/forums/wrex ... -deal.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some bed wetting going on in Wrexham now thinking they’re going to p!## the league.
Just need to look at FGR to see how difficult that is no matter how much money you throw at players.

The amount of clubs throwing money at football means they can’t all win the league and in our case we get promotion through team work not money.
HamTown
To be fair I think most Cheltenham fans would be the same in their position

Curious to see if tozer plays with 2 other CBs as I have a feeling he'll be found out even two leagues below in a back 4
asl
According to the BBC, Tozer is playing RM in a 4-4-2???
Hubert Parry
The BBC line ups are hopeless in the Conference. He will be at CB with Hayden. He's recovered quickly from his illness thankfully.
Warwickshire Robin
100% can see where Ben Tozer is coming from accepting the move and taking a step back I am sure pretty much everyone in his position would do the same, double money for three years, who in their right mind would turn that down?

However, I just wish he wouldn't have insulted our intelligence by playing the 'excited by the project' card. Very disappointing. What project could be more exciting than leading your current team to their highest league position in their history??

As for the Wrexham 'project', if they get where they are aiming and continue with the financial backing from Hollywood do you think Ben will still be first choice in 3 years time or will he have been replaced by a more expensive signing?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Hubert Parry wrote:The BBC line ups are hopeless in the Conference. He will be at CB with Hayden. He's recovered quickly from his illness thankfully.
One of those illnesses cured by a signing on bonus.
Ihearye
[/quote]

But you keep coming back and reading even if you don't post...... hardly avoiding the place :lol:[/quote]
Indeed ralph. I don't subscribe to twitter etc, so I do like to have a look at the threads Jon creates , esp the match thread if I can not get to the away match. He usually knows what he is talking about and is informative. You are not obliged to contribute, if you are using the forum as a source of informed information and you certainly don't then receive the BS personal responses such as yours. Not sure why you find me reading Jon's post so hilarious, but you obviously do, strange.
Johnsons Red Army
Why does this place become so toxic at times?

Absolutely nothing wrong with Ihearye, nor his detractors, so can’t we all just get along?
ctfc-fan
Warwickshire Robin wrote:100% can see where Ben Tozer is coming from accepting the move and taking a step back I am sure pretty much everyone in his position would do the same, double money for three years, who in their right mind would turn that down?

However, I just wish he wouldn't have insulted our intelligence by playing the 'excited by the project' card. Very disappointing. What project could be more exciting than leading your current team to their highest league position in their history??

As for the Wrexham 'project', if they get where they are aiming and continue with the financial backing from Hollywood do you think Ben will still be first choice in 3 years time or will he have been replaced by a more expensive signing?
That’s if he hasn’t been injured before then and stuck on their payroll!