Emma Raducanu

WARNING: This section may contain jokes or topics of an offensive nature.
Recommended for over 18's only. Send Admin a PM to request exclusion.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Shade
- First qualifier, male or female, to ever reach a major final.
- 9 matches, 3 qualifying and 6 main draw, without dropping a single set or even being taken to a tie-break.
- First British female in a final since 1977.
- First British female in the US Open final since 1968.
- After only 9 completed matches at major tournaments, she's now on the verge of the world Top 30, being 336th 3 months ago.
- Quickest player to ever make herself a national legend in a sport? Win or lose on Saturday night, I think so. The only other sportspeople that come out of nowhere like this are usually Olympians, but that's mostly only due to a lack of coverage until the Olympics are on.

The mentality of this girl is unbelievable. So calm and intelligent, and seemingly with all the ability as well.
Nesty
Becker was the first unseeded, and Ivanisevic the first wild card.
what is the subtle difference between wild card and qualifier ?
Shade
Wild card gets a freebie straight into the main draw thanks to the organisers (either a fan favourite, home player, someone who may have tumbled down the rankings for some reason, etc), whereas the qualifier qualifies through pre-tournament rounds. Raducanu had a wildcard at Wimbledon because she was nowhere near high enough in the rankings but given a shot as it was her home tournament.
Red Duke
I have been amazed by her. She doesn't seem to get flustered and just gets better and better. In the previous two matches, she had lost the first two games but then just blows her opponent ou of the water.

I was watching the nterview of the No. 2 seed who had lost to the teenage Canadian. You could see although more experienced the mental scars of losing over the years. Emma doesn't carry this baggage.

However, neither does her opponent in the final. I am looking forward to watching it.
ctfc-fan
Hopefully we hear more about her than the boring Andy Murray…
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Her intelligence, insightfulness and worldliness is fantastic. Earlier in the week they played one of her interviews on R4 Today, which was followed by a live interview with a Government MP. The latter was leagues below in intelligence etc. Made me question what has gone wrong with the system when an 18 year old tennis player sounds like a more worthy policy maker than an actual membership of the government. Raducanu did get an A in both History and Economics A-Levels I believe so to be honest she is probably better qualified than half the Cabinet as well!
asl
She's been a joy to watch. Plays with a smile on her face and genuinely appears to be enjoying herself - unlike misery-guts and serial whinger, Jo Konta, who I have never been able to warm to.

I missed the semi for obvious timing reasons, but I watched her thrash Bencic in the quarters, with the higher-ranked, more-experienced player visibly crumbling against the relentless onslaught she faced.

Do it one more time, Emma! She should be a shoo-in for SPotY whether or not she wins.
Nesty
Shade wrote:Wild card gets a freebie straight into the main draw thanks to the organisers (either a fan favourite, home player, someone who may have tumbled down the rankings for some reason, etc), whereas the qualifier qualifies through pre-tournament rounds. Raducanu had a wildcard at Wimbledon because she was nowhere near high enough in the rankings but given a shot as it was her home tournament.

cheers
Red Duke
The final is being shown live on Channel 4 tonight and so you don't need to subscribe to Amazon Prime to watch it.
Shade
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Raducanu did get an A in both History and Economics A-Levels I believe
A* in Maths and A in Economics is what I read.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Raducanu did get an A in both History and Economics A-Levels I believe
A* in Maths and A in Economics is what I read.
Even better.
Shade
STUNNING.

Up there with Leicester winning the Premier League. 3 qualifying rounds, 10 rounds in total, not a single set dropped. No idea what the odds would have been but I'd imagine 5000/1 would have been generous for that. Unbelievable.
asl
BRILLIANT! To be honest, there wasn't a lot between them - maybe Fernandez only lost because of her lower first serve percentage. Amazing tennis! I've not been a fan of women's tennis for a few years - but watching her play this summer has been an absolute joy.
Shade
Same. I haven't paid much attention for a while, but she has inspired me - imagine what it has done for the kids, actually seeing her do this. I wish I was a kid.
Johnsons Red Army
What a legend, well done to her!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Just amazing
theidlerich
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Her intelligence, insightfulness and worldliness is fantastic. Earlier in the week they played one of her interviews on R4 Today, which was followed by a live interview with a Government MP. The latter was leagues below in intelligence etc. Made me question what has gone wrong with the system when an 18 year old tennis player sounds like a more worthy policy maker than an actual membership of the government. Raducanu did get an A in both History and Economics A-Levels I believe so to be honest she is probably better qualified than half the Cabinet as well!

That goes for the majority of our corrupt Government poodles!! [Don't forget the Maths A too... most of the tory MP's would struggle to obtain CSE metalwork a/la Merton...]]
Shade
theidlerich wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Her intelligence, insightfulness and worldliness is fantastic. Earlier in the week they played one of her interviews on R4 Today, which was followed by a live interview with a Government MP. The latter was leagues below in intelligence etc. Made me question what has gone wrong with the system when an 18 year old tennis player sounds like a more worthy policy maker than an actual membership of the government. Raducanu did get an A in both History and Economics A-Levels I believe so to be honest she is probably better qualified than half the Cabinet as well!

That goes for the majority of our corrupt Government poodles!! [Don't forget the Maths A too... most of the tory MP's would struggle to obtain CSE metalwork a/la Merton...]]
I am sick to death already of seeing this win being used to fuel people's political agendas. It's everywhere. All politicians are s#!t, especially those in power and direct opposition; not all migrants are the same; yes she is female and hopefully it will inspire girls but leave the feminist c!#p there (Clare Balding was on the verge of a man-hating rant yesterday until she threw in "of course, I love to see British men win as well, but" before continuing; and yes she IS f#!$ British. Thank God she is still in a different country celebrating her victory and hopefully paying no attention to people she is clearly more intelligent than on the internet - me included.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Apologies Shade. It wasn’t an agenda; just something which struck me when listening to the radio. As you say, incompetence and unintelligence reigns on all sides of the political divide(s).
Shade
It was more of a general rant at what I've seen and heard than aimed at the two of you. So many are unable to just celebrate a young Brit doing something incredible without using it to try and score points over others on virtually non-related topics. Within an hour or so of her winning, on BBC News there was some bloke who barely even knew what Tennis was trying to make some kind of point about immigrants, as if immigrants coming on boats across the channel and a girl with parents in the financial sector who chose to settle in Kent are even in the same world. No matter where you stand on the issue of immigration, it's a ridiculous comparison and she shouldn't be used as some kind of "look what immigrants can do for us" poster child - not unless she wants to get into that topic and do some sort of campaigning herself.