Probably outside our wage structure, but I noticed that....

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Benny Profane
.............Michael Hector is a free agent. One of the classier loan signings we've had this century, & seemed happy in his time at Whaddon too.

On a more serious note (kind of) I'm always baffled at the number of players who won't perform at a lower level due to clubs not being able to 'match their wage demands' then find themselves playing for absolutely nobody instead which, I assume, pays less. Hal Robson-Kanu, for example , is 33 & hasn't played in a year.

There are many, many more.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/statist ... osespieler

Yes, many modern players are comfortable enough not to have to play, but surely a 6 month contract at ( a lesser) wage would keep them match-fit, keep them occupied, & keep them in the metaphorical 'shop window'. I realize our backroom recruitment set-up is (or seems) half decent, so they know better than us keyboard experts, but you can see my wider point.

Michael Hector though.....

Thoughts please!
Robin
Hector would be an amazing signing but I'd think he'd end up lowering his wages and signing for a Championship club like Reading. He was was probably earning £20k a week at Chelsea and even dropping to Championship he'd only get a fraction of that.
QED
To be fair to Hal Robson-Kanu, his spice business took off during the pandemic so he’s chosen to do that instead of football now.
Benny Profane
I agree Robin, he probably will be snapped up by a Championship team; however, at the minute he is (technically) unemployed. And my wider point still stands, that a lot of very, very good footballers would seem to prefer doing nothing than doing something (even temporarily) at a lower level (with lower wages).

On another footballing planet, a similar arrangement to the one Christian Erickson had with Brentford is the kind of thing I mean; even the most optimistic Bees fan probably didn't think he'd stay beyond the 6 months, but all parties benefitted in the short-term.

Why don't more players do this? Is it agents insisting they don't play below their 'market value'?
HamTown
I think there's a lot of players out there who just play for the money and don't have much love for the game anymore....then there's others who will slide down the leagues to prolong their career as long as possible
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Hector never delivered for Fulham in the Championship. Seems like an Ipswich or Sheffield Wednesday signing unless we really push the boat out.