Cheltenham Town v Alvechurch

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

SHANDY VOR
You started the year just minutes away from knocking out Manchester City, and end it by losing to a normally very poor Alvechurch team.

Football, eh?
Robin
SHANDY VOR wrote: 06 Nov 2022, 11:43 You started the year just minutes away from knocking out Manchester City, and end it by losing to a normally very poor Alvechurch team.

Football, eh?
Many City game was 2021 Shandy not this year.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote: 06 Nov 2022, 11:48
SHANDY VOR wrote: 06 Nov 2022, 11:43 You started the year just minutes away from knocking out Manchester City, and end it by losing to a normally very poor Alvechurch team.

Football, eh?
Many City game was 2021 Shandy not this year.
Last season we got knocked out by a hapless Wimbledon, who scored four past us despite having not won for ages. It was part of our own abject run of form.
theidlerich
Rather different angle - Swindon also lost; however Barnsley, FGR and The Pirates all won.... :(
Horteng
I believe the remote interviews are because Wade is uncomfortable with them. I have questioned why they are still being carried out remotely all of this season.
robinsrule
We all know that League 1 will always be a struggle for us if we are to operate sustainably without a sugar daddy.

For me, what constitutes success is playing some entertaining football, at least looking threatening up front, inevitably finishing lower mid-table and bloodying a few noses along the way. So basically most of last season.

At least when we lost Duff would speak honestly and logically and we knew there would nearly always be a reaction the next game. Elliott just does not inspire any confidence in me whatsoever. I am not one to call for the manager’s head after every defeat because of the reasons outlined above, but yesterday was an important day for the club because for us every single penny counts. Plymouth also got thrashed yesterday but it doesn’t matter for them because they have bigger fish to fry. Lincoln were embarrassed too but they have the rescources to compete at this level with 8,000 through the gates every week. We do not enjoy that luxury.

I was going to go to Ipswich next weekend but what’s the point? I am almost certain that we will lose 3 or four nil. Yes, in theory we should all support the club but I am not seeing wholehearted effort by every player.

Yes, the squad is hugely lacking but some of you are asking who is better than Elliott? At this point my answer would be anyone who can motivate this group to at least give 100% effort every game and look like they at least give a damn.

We have now lost 7-0 at home to a team in the same league as us and 2-1 to a team 100 places below us in the pyramid. Neither result is acceptable and if the club can afford it I think the manager has to go. His selections and formations are baffling and his interviews are toe-curling. Enough is enough.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I really don’t understand people’s problem with the interviews. I like them.
Benny Profane
He could conduct the interviews via the medium of contemporary dance for all I care; as long as the team play with some cohesion & ambition I couldn't care less about media duties.

It's the rest that worries me.....
Horteng
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 06 Nov 2022, 21:04 I really don’t understand people’s problem with the interviews. I like them.
What you need to learn to understand is others are allowed a different opinion to you. And I would suggest you are in the minority if you enjoy Wades interviews.

The interviews are the most uninspiring 10 minutes per week and they were when Wade stood in for Michael a handful of times in previous seasons. If he cannot inspire the fans how does he inspire the players? I believe and have said all along Wade is a nice guy with good intentions but he is a coach not a manager regardless of his current head coach title.
MittonRobin
As i have said time and time again (Not looking for an Argument) the guy is massively out of his Depth. Get rid before it's too late.
If you want to carry on watching this s#!t show, then good luck! It's boring, Poor, lacklustre and so is he.
Warwickshire Robin
robinsrule wrote: 06 Nov 2022, 20:49

Yes, the squad is hugely lacking but some of you are asking who is better than Elliott? At this point my answer would be anyone who can motivate this group to at least give 100% effort every game and look like they at least give a damn.

We have now lost 7-0 at home to a team in the same league as us and 2-1 to a team 100 places below us in the pyramid. Neither result is acceptable and if the club can afford it I think the manager has to go. His selections and formations are baffling and his interviews are toe-curling. Enough is enough.
I agree with the majority of this post however I am prepared to give most of the players the benefit of the doubt when it comes to effort. I think they are putting in the effort I just think they are lacking in any sort of planning, attacking game plan and confidence. All this comes from the coaching staff and it just either isn't happening or they are just not taking it in.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Horteng wrote: 07 Nov 2022, 07:21
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 06 Nov 2022, 21:04 I really don’t understand people’s problem with the interviews. I like them.
What you need to learn to understand is others are allowed a different opinion to you.
Yes I know that.

If you look at my post you will see I never suggested people were not allowed a different opinion.

I just said I don’t “understand people’s problem the interviews” - a statement which in itself acknowledges that other people have different opinions.

You always make this accusation, so to put it to bed once and for all please a post where I say people can’t have different opinions to me or each other.
Ihearye
Personally I am not calling for a change in regime. However I do think this all time low needs to be the end of the current 5hitshow. We need to see rapid signs of improvement in so many areas, some people having a good look in the mirror and straight talking. Everyone involved is getting a wage for doing what they do. Time now to actually earn it and start getting people back on-side.
Recently we have been, on the whole, dire to watch that needs to change
We seem to be setting up not to lose. No need to be gung ho, but surely there needs to be a better balance?
Am getting a tad tired of constantly hearing about how many chances we made. We are paying people to score goals (at least the odd time) - time to stand up and be accountable.
I hear Southwood get a lot of stick over his time to make a decision - personally feel sorry for him to have the ball and be thinking, who do I give it to that means it is not coming straight back at me. short ball he gets it back, long ball it comes straight back his way
Echo some of the comments re Russ, he has been here long enough to be an expert on turning teams around. What exactly is his role that makes him irreplaceable? Again time to start earning a wage.
Wade - needs to oversea all the above and show quick progress
Carthorse Ted
"It infuriates me when people say ‘little old Cheltenham Town’" - as stated by Chairman David Bloxham. (Before last Saturday's mismatch).
Alf
It’s easy to blame the players for their performance but invariably they are playing to instruction from above. At the start of games we don’t seem to be set up as an attacking force and when we do attack there seems to be little cohesion between the front line players. Our line up against Alvechurch must have sent completely the wrong message to our players and have been a real confidence boost to our opponents.
kora
I expect to be out battled by lower league teams, it's their big day, but to be out played by a team from 4 leagues below to record the club's worst ever result is beyond embarrassing. I hid my scarf in my pocket on the way home, I was ashamed to wear it after that pathetic gutless exhibition. Until now I've put myself in the undecided camp but after Bristol Rovers, MK Dons and that embarrassment I'm going with the "get Elliott out" camp before we end up in the Conference again. If there's a problem finding the money to get rid of the passionless twat they should have had a whip round at 5 o'clock on Saturday, they'd have got enough to pay him off and bring in a manager from the prem.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
kora wrote: 07 Nov 2022, 10:38 I expect to be out battled by lower league teams, it's their big day, but to be out played by a team from 4 leagues below to record the club's worst ever result is beyond embarrassing. I hid my scarf in my pocket on the way home, I was ashamed to wear it after that pathetic gutless exhibition. Until now I've put myself in the undecided camp but after Bristol Rovers, MK Dons and that embarrassment I'm going with the "get Elliott out" camp before we end up in the Conference again. If there's a problem finding the money to get rid of the passionless twat they should have had a whip round at 5 o'clock on Saturday, they'd have got enough to pay him off and bring in a manager from the prem.
Calling the manager a ‘twat’ is a little off colour in my view. Regardless of what people think of his managerial record and ability, the consensus seems to be he is a decent and nice bloke. If you have reasons to suggest that is not the case please share….?
joes dad
" get rid of the passionless twat "

Totally inappropriate and out of order.
Si Robin
Twat is out of order, I agree.

Whilst I get the vitriol and people not liking the style of play, it is easy to get carried away. We are still only two points off where we were at this point last season. The difference is the entertainment value - our gd is the same as this time last season, that we conceded more is negated by the fact the we scored more. Therefore, as our games are now quite dour, it's easier to turn on the manager.

That's not me having a rose-tinted approach, I personally think Wade will be gone by Christmas as he's completely lost the fanbase now. That anyone can come in and get this team playing any better going forward? I'm not so sure.

To clarify - I wanted Dave Artell or Luke Garrard in the summer, but was happy with Wade's appointment.
Benny Profane
'Passionless twat'.

What makes you (or any of us) think he doesn't care just because he isn't a ranter? Passion alone doesn't improve football teams; if that was the case the most rabid fans would be premier league managers. I've seen no evidence whatsoever that he doesn't care; I suspect he probably cares very deeply & that this is hurting him too (as opposed to say Buckle, who never gave the impression that it bothered him that much because he never seemed to think any of it might be his fault).

And he's not shown any signs of excessive twatishness either (see 'Buckle' above); what he has shown is that he might not be the right man for the job & he may be out of his depth.
This isn't a job for a novice manager & it might be time for a change, but just slagging him off like that doesn't really make any sense.
Henry The Dog
Just felt like this result has been coming for a while. One up front at home really isn't positive and must admit I was expecting Norton and Brown to start. If we struggle to score against Alvechurch then how are we going to score against the better teams in League One. Alfie I wouldn't have risked so that shows how desperate things were. I saw far more fight in the Torquay team yesterday than I've seen recently at ours. really thought one or two of our senior players would have taken the game by the scruff of the neck. Freestone has definitely stepped up and he was doing the shouting a lot more than others.
Comes back to recruitment , Jackson definitely a plus but I'm not seeing anything in Adshead, Norton or Olayinka, maybe in a side going well one might have a chance to shine but relying on all three. Strength in depth just isn't there, is that the director of football's responsibility, how does it work, Wade here's a list who do you want off this or does Wade feel he has to go with suggestions. Always felt Duff had final say, is it the same now?
I guess the final comment was Alvechurch were a side we were supposed to have watched loads, the Alvechurch manager and chairman mentioned it at the time of the draw about how often Moore is there, but we didn't seem to be able to deal with them.
Robin
I would give some credit to Norton, I do think he's better now than he was here on loan but it's a pretty low bar he had set. Either way We cannot carry him, Lloyd and Brown as attacking cover as none of them give confidence that they are good enough for league one right now.
paperboy
Robin wrote: 07 Nov 2022, 14:22 I would give some credit to Norton, I do think he's better now than he was here on loan but it's a pretty low bar he had set. Either way We cannot carry him, Lloyd and Brown as attacking cover as none of them give confidence that they are good enough for league one right now.
Agree regarding the three back up strikers, whilst still relatively young, are not up to it yet which is why we've been playing only one of them and picking so say better players.
Wade and the staff know this but can't say it without destroying what confidence they have.

Really looking forward to the cup draw tonight- NOT!!
Cameras at Alvechurch too just to rub our noses in it.
Hope they get a plum tie though.
Si Robin
I hope they get Sheffield Weds away - means we would have been unlikely to get through and a big tie in the 3rd round.
longmover
paperboy wrote: 07 Nov 2022, 15:11
Robin wrote: 07 Nov 2022, 14:22 I would give some credit to Norton, I do think he's better now than he was here on loan but it's a pretty low bar he had set. Either way We cannot carry him, Lloyd and Brown as attacking cover as none of them give confidence that they are good enough for league one right now.
Agree regarding the three back up strikers, whilst still relatively young, are not up to it yet which is why we've been playing only one of them and picking so say better players.
Wade and the staff know this but can't say it without destroying what confidence they have.

Really looking forward to the cup draw tonight- NOT!!
Cameras at Alvechurch too just to rub our noses in it.
Hope they get a plum tie though.
They'll get Wrexham (a) and get annihilated. End of.
Fuller
Si Robin wrote: 07 Nov 2022, 15:14 I hope they get Sheffield Weds away - means we would have been unlikely to get through and a big tie in the 3rd round.
But at least we’d have got half the gate money, which we’ll need to help bolster the squad.
And we’d have had the £41k too for beating Alvechurch.
Si Robin
They had just over 8,000 there on Saturday, so not sure the gate money would have amounted to much.

I agree about the £41k though.
Shade
Robin wrote: 07 Nov 2022, 14:22 Brown as attacking cover as none of them give confidence that they are good enough for league one right now.
Brown has started one League game and set up the winning goal with quick, accurate passing light years ahead of his teammates (maybe that's why Wade doesn't want him playing, he's passing it around too quick and too attack minded?!). Nlundulu should have also scored from another excellent Brown through ball. I don't know why he isn't playing more, fitness seems to be the issue, but, if he's fit enough, I don't think Brown should be a back up and seems good enough for L1.
Robin
From what I've seen of Brown he doesn't do the work required off the ball that Lloyd and Norton do and doesn't have the pace to run in behind either so he'd need to play off a foil to get the best out of him.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
As angry as we are, we do have to appreciate the beauty of the Cup.

We love it when the likes of Alvechurch win games like this when it is against anyone else, after all.

Some of the pics of their players on the pitch with young boys and girls show what football is about and the happiness it can bring. This one is a nice moment: https://twitter.com/IMacvie/status/1589 ... IZ5qusTXgQ
Shade
You couldn't make it up. Alvechurch away at FGR in rd 2.

All Alvechurch, aren't we
Si Robin
Got to feel for Alvechurch really.

In round 1 they draw a small League 1 team away from home and come through that with flying colours, only to be rewarded with a trip away to an even smaller League 1 team.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Mixed feelings for this one. A short-ish trip which they could win, but equally could mean FGR stroll to Round 3.

Not sure I would have enjoyed a Cup game at FGR with the 3rd round at stake. It could have been another Hereford which would have been great, but I doubt it would have been as epic as that and the thought of losing unbearable.
ctfc-fan
If Alvechurch play like they did against us then they’ll certainly give them numpties on the hill a good game.
Anteros
Them lot won't take alvechurch for granted like we did.
Plum draw for the media darlings in the 3rd round....