Official Retained List

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

ctfc-fan
Fuller
Crikey you beat JP to it. Well done CTFC-fan :)

No real surprises there. Was Rags still under contract then? Not sure what they mean saying he’s been given a free transfer if his contract was up, unless there was an option?
Jon Palmer
I put my version out on Tuesday: https://bit.ly/CTFCRetainedList2023
Fuller
Fair play JP, spot on.
Ihearye
Jon Palmer wrote: 11 May 2023, 19:12 I put my version out on Tuesday: https://bit.ly/CTFCRetainedList2023
only one way to settle this..... FIGHTTTTTTTTTTT
Si Robin
Fuller wrote: 11 May 2023, 19:02 Crikey you beat JP to it. Well done CTFC-fan :)

No real surprises there. Was Rags still under contract then? Not sure what they mean saying he’s been given a free transfer if his contract was up, unless there was an option?
I was confused by that as well but now I think about it, I think it means we would have offered him a new deal but after discussions it was agreed we would part ways.
CS85
Wades post match interview he hinted we'd like to have kept rags but he wanted to move closer to his family.
Broadway Brian
Only one I’m particularly saddened about is Charlie Brown. Underused this season and we should have got more out of him.

There’s a talented, technical player in there, although I think he’s more of an attacking midfielder / 10 than a CF.
HamTown
Broadway Brian wrote: 11 May 2023, 21:02 Only one I’m particularly saddened about is Charlie Brown. Underused this season and we should have got more out of him.

There’s a talented, technical player in there, although I think he’s more of an attacking midfielder / 10 than a CF.
I'm not sure about saddened because there has to be a reason he didn't get more games but can definitely see him dropping down a league and doing really well for someone and coming back up
Fuller
HamTown wrote: 12 May 2023, 06:17
Broadway Brian wrote: 11 May 2023, 21:02 Only one I’m particularly saddened about is Charlie Brown. Underused this season and we should have got more out of him.

I'm not sure about saddened because there has to be a reason he didn't get more games but can definitely see him dropping down a league and doing really well for someone and coming back up
We paid a transfer fee to MK Dons when we signed him in January 2022. I thought we had a good young player there and the very few times I saw on the pitch you could see he had something about him. Whole thing seems a bit odd, perhaps Wade just didn’t rate him?
Anyway wish him all the best for the future, like all the other released players. Always interesting to see where they end up and to follow their subsequent careers.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
My instinct with Charlie is that it is down to “the numbers”; i.e. he couldn’t cover the distance or make enough full effort sprints etc that our coaching team demands.

I might be completely and massively wrong of course.
Si Robin
I mentioned on the pod last week, I think he's one of those who needs to drop a couple of levels and grind it out a bit. He's clearly a talented lad, but he strikes me as one of those players who does well at academy level but struggles with the step up to men's football.

A bit of rough and tumble at somewhere like Braintree or Woking could be the making of him.
Benny Profane
..........word from someone who works at the club is 'doesn't train as well as he might'.

Would explain his lack of opportunities; we see them in isolation of a Saturday or Tuesday, they see them all week.

Still seems a bit of a shame though, agreed.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Benny Profane wrote: 12 May 2023, 08:59 ..........word from someone who works at the club is 'doesn't train as well as he might'.

Would explain his lack of opportunities; we see them in isolation of a Saturday or Tuesday, they see them all week.

Still seems a bit of a shame though, agreed.
In contrast to Bradbury, perhaps.

I think putting in the effort in training to be able to run the distance required (ie running 12km and still being able to sprint 30 metres in the 95th minute to press a defender) is why some players like Broom are so valuable and always get selected to play, even if that value is not always noticeable to fans.