Cheltenham Town v Barnsley

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Ihearye
Broadway Brian wrote: 02 Sep 2023, 17:53
Jim wrote: 02 Sep 2023, 17:36 Thought we were much better today. Front 3 worked really well first half, thought Goodwin was decent other than his poor header which he should be putting away.

Keena is miles off at the mo, which could be down to not playing to his strengths or lack of confidence, or both.

2nd half was a bit messier, but we still created chances. Wade needs to work out his best team now, not sure 4 at the back worked but good to see him try something different. Street was completely battered by the end, he put in one hell of a shift just lacking that killer quality.

We are due some luck no doubt. The first goal was our two players getting in each other's way so another avoidable mistake.

Very encouraged by the new players who came on, added something extra.

Another really disappointing day but reasons for positivity if you want to find it.
Unfortunate that the chances today fell to the wrong strikers. I’d have fancied Keena to bury at least 2 of the chances Goodwin / Street had.

I guess a positive is that we’re talking about profligacy today as opposed to simply no chances at all.

Goodwin had an ok game but really does lack instinct in his general game and particularly in the box.

Street? I don’t know how he was still standing by the end - seemed punch drunk!

Bevan can play - great to see. Should put the skipper’s place in jeopardy.

Poor Ben Williams - if he was a dog…

We’ve got our mini league of 5 / 6 at the bottom. We’re bottom of it but not out of touch. Better today.
He would be a springer spaniel
Ihearye
Benctfc wrote: 02 Sep 2023, 18:11 I didn't think we were that bad today.... In fact it was probably our best performance of the season i have seen although i did miss Portsmouth. It was one of those early season results you wouldn't be too down about but given our situation it is hard now to feel frustrated as each passing poor result cranks up the pressure.

Thought the new lads looked okay and it is important we give Wade at least another month to see if we improve with them around the squad. If in a months time we are still in a similar situation at that point questions need to be asked but it is too early to hit the panic button yet.

Does anyone else feel our team look unfit? After 70 minutes we look out on our feet. We don't seem to have fit enough players to play our game plan which seems to be consist of being out of possession and working off the ball. Our goal threat seems to go to non existent and we dont have the energy whether that be someone running in behind or busting a gut to get on the end of a cross. Maybe one of the reasons for our lack of goals. (Not sure how you improve that other than keeping possession better)
easier coming on
late, but the young bucks looked full of energy. Maybe it is a full pre season with a prem club?
Warwickshire Robin
Ihearye wrote: 02 Sep 2023, 16:31 I thought on the whole that was a decent performance, on another day we would be 2 or 3 up at half time. Their keeper made 3 goal saving saves. Seems I am in the minority, but I think Keens is way of where he needs to be / was. Nothing seems to stick to his feet, he sits so deep he is almost at the half way line and looks a shadow of himself. He would have been the first forward I took off (apart from the fact Goodwin looked like he cramped up).
Very impressed with the Arseenal and Brighton lad. Also thought Bevan looked like he could play the ball a bit and the WBA lad, looked confident (apart from the one ball he crossed to an empty back post when a short ball was on)
Something to build on now that we have a bit of back up and if we get some of the injured back soon, it is a decent looking squad
Just about a perfect summation Ihearye.

Still no goals or wins but at least a fair few positives to grab on to this week. Chances created and nothing falling for us in terms of bobbles in the box or refs giving us penalties (how we didn't get one at the end when their centre half nearly belted Street into row z I'll never know).

Two weeks to now work the newcomers in and we go again.
1985CTFC
Much better today. As mentioned we could of had 3 by half time with better finishing. Mind you they had 2 good chances. We had them rocking at times but once their first went after Bonds / Sercombe collision then they went in to protect mode and just waited for a break away. Even from the start that looked their plan to play a long ball to hit us while we pushed up. Cam and Owen linked up well at the end down the right. Just nobody to stick it in the net.
Lad Evans from Newport scored again!! Just saying.
Also mentioned lad Charlie McNeil Man Utd loanee who looked like a proper striker. Went to Stevenage on loan on Friday. Scored after 21 mins on debut!!! Wonder if he was the one that slipped through our net. ( Russ listen to me!!!!) only semi joking.
I know we haven't got them.
The Arsenal lad I am not sure is going to bag enough goals. Have to wait and see what Jovan Malcolm can do. Guess they will all have a run out against Bristol R.
Keena was just not at it, dropping in to midfield late in the game when crosses started to come in to the box. Get in the flippin penalty box.
Benctfc
1985CTFC wrote: 02 Sep 2023, 19:07 Much better today. As mentioned we could of had 3 by half time with better finishing. Mind you they had 2 good chances. We had them rocking at times but once their first went after Bonds / Sercombe collision then they went in to protect mode and just waited for a break away. Even from the start that looked their plan to play a long ball to hit us while we pushed up. Cam and Owen linked up well at the end down the right. Just nobody to stick it in the net.
Also mentioned lad Charlie McNeil Man Utd loanee who looked like a proper striker. Went to Stevenage on loan on Friday. Scored after 21 mins on debut!!! Wonder if he was the one that slipped through our net. ( Russ listen to me!!!!) only semi joking.
The Arsenal lad I am not sure is going to bag enough goals. Have to wait and see what Jovan Malcolm can do. Guess they will all have a run out against Bristol R.
Keena was just not at it, dropping in to midfield late in the game when crosses started to come in to the box. Get in the flippin penalty box.
Glad it wasn't just me who noticed Keena dropping into midfield when we were chasing a goal. Surely he is being instructed to do that? Which if so is crazy and sums it up at the moment.
shevates
Nesty wrote: 02 Sep 2023, 17:08 Frustrating ........... their first goal was down to Bonds who I thought had another stinker, the second was inevitable given we were pushing to get an equaliser - other than that there were some encouraging performances from the loans - have to say that there were some odd substitutions and formations but 2--0 flattered Barnsley.
Perfectly put Nesty. Just to add it was encouraging. Some good performances 3 up front does work, Street and Goodwin had their best games for us I thought, and the loans done well. Still no goals and another defeat but I think everyone or most believe it to be promising
1985CTFC
Benctfc wrote: 02 Sep 2023, 19:14
1985CTFC wrote: 02 Sep 2023, 19:07 Much better today. As mentioned we could of had 3 by half time with better finishing. Mind you they had 2 good chances. We had them rocking at times but once their first went after Bonds / Sercombe collision then they went in to protect mode and just waited for a break away. Even from the start that looked their plan to play a long ball to hit us while we pushed up. Cam and Owen linked up well at the end down the right. Just nobody to stick it in the net.
Glad it wasn't just me who noticed Keena dropping into midfield when we were chasing a goal. Surely he is being instructed to do that? Which if so is crazy and sums it up at the moment.
My take from watching Keena is he is coming up against big strong centre backs. He can't compete physically. Street and to some extent Goodwin are prepared to battle against them. Keena isn't because that isn't his game. Never going to win a header. So he tends to wander away from the big opposition CB's. Which means he drops into the space between strikers and Mids. He'll start the game pushed up to try his luck but when he realises he can't he drops back. Which you could say is smart, but when the ball is flashing across the 6yd box he isn't there. Either he does what Alfie used to do and buzz around like a demented bee and try and nick something ( not sure he has the energy to do that all game or he does what we used to say at school...is goal hang. Don't waste time and energy chasing the ball being knocked around the CB's. Don't try and compete physically with them, leave that to Street, Goodwin and Malcolm. Just lurk and goal hang in and around the CB's and spend your time anticipating the ball and chances.
Anyway that's my take on Keena. He might appear lazy doing it but be in and around that penalty spot and try and get on the end of things or latch on to a mistake or drop down. Don't get in to a battle stay on your toes.
1985CTFC
If you watch Clarke Harris he does eff all, he just loiters around the box. Like to see Keena have a go at a bit of Lineker/ Clarke Harris/Greaves loitering. Just to see what happens. Defenders might think he is not up for it and take their eye of him. Then he strikes!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway that is my Bull Shine for the night. Please discuss!
Ihearye
Keena from where I sit,
Last year his first touch was excellent, this year not
Last year he took on a defender and beat him, this year not
Last year he looked to get on the end of things , this year he may be looking but is not there.
Today we had lots of balls into the 6 yard he was never near them
asl
Who got MotM, btw? Didn't hear an announcement and didn't see anyone get awarded it at the end. I'd have given it to Freestone again, with an honourable mention to Street for effort.
Ihearye
asl wrote: 02 Sep 2023, 21:58 Who got MotM, btw? Didn't hear an announcement and didn't see anyone get awarded it at the end. I'd have given it to Freestone again, with an honourable mention to Street for effort.
Would be hard to argue against freestone ,but also thought sercs had a good game. For impact our be Aussie looks like he be a fans fav. Good with the ball, confident enough to want the ball and plays on the front foot all the time
CS85
asl wrote: 02 Sep 2023, 21:58 Who got MotM, btw? Didn't hear an announcement and didn't see anyone get awarded it at the end. I'd have given it to Freestone again, with an honourable mention to Street for effort.
Agree with freestone,4 or 5 very good blocks throwing himself infront of the ball and just all round solid.
As for keena he has to be instructed to drop deep surely? A striker who got 20 goals last season doesn't drop deep if he's being told to stay up top.
Peupion was good in his 15 mins,wanting the ball,willing to go forward with drive at every chance and can pick a pass,hopefully he can do that starting In game and not just a short cameo.
I'm a bonds fan but he was poor today,needs to start upping his game because when he's on it he's key imo.
Two weeks now to get the new lads into it all and hopefully beating the (current) league leaders 😐
Mike1953
A much improved performance, particularly in the first 45. The addition of Will G to the forward line made a great difference. Rob S had an excellent game and was my MOTM. However, in our enthusiasm to score, we forgot basic defence. Leaving only GK plus one sprinter in defence for a corner is folly. The Luke S tendency to leave his goal area unattended is unwise and almost ended in embarrassment when he was lobbed. And while I’m at it, why do we invariably give the ball away at kick off, why do we not maximise on our overhit corners and why oh why do our defenders blaze shots over the bar even when not under pressure?
To end on a positive note, good performances from the new signings. Job well done Russ.
paperboy
CS85 wrote: 03 Sep 2023, 06:51
I'm a bonds fan but he was poor today,needs to start upping his game because when he's on it he's key imo.
Two weeks now to get the new lads into it all and hopefully beating the (current) league leaders 😐
Agree he was below par,but let's remember he's been rushed back after a another knee injury.
Players who've missed a few weeks training inevitably don't come back in flying.
Jim
paperboy wrote: 03 Sep 2023, 08:33
Agree he was below par,but let's remember he's been rushed back after a another knee injury.
Players who've missed a few weeks training inevitably don't come back in flying.
Bonds can be frustrating because he can look a real cut above at this level when he's at it, but then can be a liability when he's not - like yesterday.

Like you say we can probably put it down to being rushed back, he was just a yard off at times and sloppy in possession.
Robin
Freestone for me too, honourable recognition for Sercombe and Street who were the other two starters who I felt had good games.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Agree with freestone,4 or 5 very good blocks throwing himself infront of the ball and just all round solid.
As for keena he has to be instructed to drop deep surely? A striker who got 20 goals last season doesn't drop deep if he's being told to stay up top.
Peupion was good in his 15 mins,wanting the ball,willing to go forward with drive at every chance and can pick a pass,hopefully he can do that starting In game and not just a short cameo.
Goal scorers dropping deep to try and get time on the ball and make something is a common thing in teams which aren’t playing well. Rooney, and later Kane, always used to do this for England during the years we struggled before Southgate got the job.
Ihearye
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 03 Sep 2023, 10:03
Goal scorers dropping deep to try and get time on the ball and make something is a common thing in teams which aren’t playing well. Rooney, and later Kane, always used to do this for England during the years we struggled before Southgate got the job.
if they make a difference, grand. If not then don't. There were enough balls getting into the box to warrant him being always up there
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote: 03 Sep 2023, 12:50

if they make a difference, grand. If not then don't. There were enough balls getting into the box to warrant him being always up there
Completely agree. One of the reasons I think Kane should have been dropped by England years ago!
Warwickshire Robin
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 03 Sep 2023, 12:57

Completely agree. One of the reasons I think Kane should have been dropped by England years ago!
Dropping deep just isnt Keenas game though. As Si pointed out on the recent podcast virtually all his goals last year were poachers goals. He needs to be in and around the box and he just isnt this season.

Whether that is down to instruction or his choice i dont know but if Goodwin gets/stays fit and Malcolm steps up then Im afraid Aiden may be getting some bench time soon.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 03 Sep 2023, 14:47
Dropping deep just isnt Keenas game though. As Si pointed out on the recent podcast virtually all his goals last year were poachers goals. He needs to be in and around the box and he just isnt this season.

Whether that is down to instruction or his choice i dont know but if Goodwin gets/stays fit and Malcolm steps up then Im afraid Aiden may be getting some bench time soon.
Completely agree, it’s not his game and I don’t want him doing it.
1985CTFC
Ihearye wrote: 02 Sep 2023, 21:53 Keena from where I sit,
Last year his first touch was excellent, this year not
Last year he took on a defender and beat him, this year not
Last year he looked to get on the end of things , this year he may be looking but is not there.
Today we had lots of balls into the 6 yard he was never near them
Precisely, he just hasn't been in the killing zone.
1985CTFC
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 03 Sep 2023, 14:47

I can't picture Keenas goal from last year but do remember seeing his goals video from when he played for Sligo. Many of his goals originated from outside the box. Either a shot or run in the box and shot.
I wonder if he is trying to play like he did at Sligo. Think defences in League 1 are better than the Irish Prem. Not going to get many clear shots from outside the box in this league.
Going to be interesting to see how he does in the coming games. But we don't know what instructions he gets from Wade.
1985CTFC
Agreed , either of them and honourable mention for Goodwin