Stevie C. Would he come back?

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Ralph
They say never go back. I'd love to see him back but I can't see him doing it. The boards not the same as when SC and PB ran the show
London Exile
I think PB still runs the show to a degree!
Si Robin
No he wouldn't
bigdavejambo
Micheal Duff might be available soon - would he come back?
Jerry St Clair
bigdavejambo wrote: 16 Sep 2023, 20:36 Micheal Duff might be available soon - would he come back?
Top three trends on UK Twitter tonight?

Dispatches
Strictly
Duff

Swansea fans want him gone.
robinsrule
I really wouldn’t want him back, especially under current circumstances. Why ruin all the good work and goodwill he built up many years ago?

He has also been a marmite character in all his other jobs, his abrasive nature rubs people up the wrong way and coming in and giving our young lads some home truths may not be the motivation they need right now.
Haitch
No, doesn’t want to ruin his legacy and good for him
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Wouldn’t want him back to be honest. Need to look to the future.
asl
Eddie Jones will be looking for a new management position in a month's time, I reckon...
Ihearye
asl wrote: 17 Sep 2023, 18:12 Eddie Jones will be looking for a new management position in a month's time, I reckon...
was waiting for him to crack his usual crappy jokes
Robin
I'm not convinced he'd come back either, at least without some assurances from our major shareholders that budget would be made available in January to reshape the squad with some more experienced (i.e. costly) additions.
Jim
I'm going to caveat this thought by saying I really don't think he will return... BUT if during the international break he intimated that he'd be willing to step in, then that might be what has presumably given the board the confidence to dish out Wade's P45.
Ihearye
Robin wrote: 17 Sep 2023, 18:50 I'm not convinced he'd come back either, at least without some assurances from our major shareholders that budget would be made available in January to reshape the squad with some more experienced (i.e. costly) additions.
well you answered your own question
paperboy
New MM interview sheds more light on SCs departure.
Throws their new coach under the bus- which he drives!
A good mixture of sense, sh*t and shifting the blame.

https://www.shrewsburytown.com/news/202 ... dSLtuZiP44
paperboy
paperboy wrote: 19 Sep 2023, 21:48 New MM interview sheds more light on SCs departure.
Throws their new coach under the bus- which he drives!
A good mixture of sense, sh*t and shifting the blame.

https://www.shrewsburytown.com/news/202 ... dSLtuZiP44
Steve C is probably the only candidate that the majority of fans would get behind;anyone else would need to work instant miracles.
MM implies that he overspent massively last season plus I think his case for unfair dismissal may still be ongoing which might complicate matters.
Shade
Not sure why it would complicate matters? People are allowed to gain employment whilst having a case for unfair dismissal.
BerkeleyRobin
He has been at the last couple of home games sitting up beside Bloxham....He knew how to get the best out of a 352 in his first full season at Bristol City...but would he come back?No.He was probably there to support his ex captain.Oh and lose his rag with James Vincent
Jon Palmer
From my recent interview with SC, he wished Shrewsbury all the best and there was no ongoing case with them to be resolved. I also asked him about the overspend mentioned and there wasn't one on the playing budget, which will probably be bigger this season. When in the directors box, he just sits in the Cheltenham section, but not necessarily next to David Bloxham - last game he was next to Paul Baker.
paperboy
Jon Palmer wrote: 20 Sep 2023, 21:19 From my recent interview with SC, he wished Shrewsbury all the best and there was no ongoing case with them to be resolved. I also asked him about the overspend mentioned and there wasn't one on the playing budget, which will probably be bigger this season. When in the directors box, he just sits in the Cheltenham section, but not necessarily next to David Bloxham - last game he was next to Paul Baker.
Thanks for the clarification Jon.

....and could he return or not?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Was it last season or the season before when SC threw his little strop and said he was washing his hands of Cheltenham when we turned them over up there?
Si Robin
Last season after we beat them 1-0.

I made that joke on the pod last night.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Si Robin wrote: 21 Sep 2023, 08:22 Last season after we beat them 1-0.

I made that joke on the pod last night.
I look forward to hearing it.
Si Robin
I think I did anyway - it might have been in the chat we had post-pod.
Oldun
I just hope the board is involving Steve C in the current situation as he must have a lot to offer. He has experience well beyond CTFC and surely a heart for the club.
At the very least he should be acting as consultant to the board over the new appointment but even better maybe an offer to be manager could be made, perhaps on a temporary basis in the first instance and then a review in 3/6 months. That would give time for the board to look around at all the possibilities out there and appoint in their own time rather than in a rush or panic.
Obviously all this depends on his willingness to be involved at whatever level; his health was poor for a time through Covid and he may not want o be involved on a full time, even temporary basis.
If he is around and willing to help, in whatever shape or form, surely the board must use him.
Nesty
Oldun wrote: 21 Sep 2023, 10:30 I just hope the board is involving Steve C in the current situation as he must have a lot to offer. He has experience well beyond CTFC and surely a heart for the club.
At the very least he should be acting as consultant to the board over the new appointment but even better maybe an offer to be manager could be made, perhaps on a temporary basis in the first instance and then a review in 3/6 months. That would give time for the board to look around at all the possibilities out there and appoint in their own time rather than in a rush or panic.
Obviously all this depends on his willingness to be involved at whatever level; his health was poor for a time through Covid and he may not want o be involved on a full time, even temporary basis.
If he is around and willing to help, in whatever shape or form, surely the board must use him.

100% agree
give him the job until end of season with view to him training up his successer
totally change the structure of the management/coaching team
Robin
Why do we need a change of coaching structure? Genuine question as our set-up seems surprisingly modern especially compared to other aspects of the club.
milestones
Absolute no brainer - Steve C is the man if he will do it.