Lincoln City v Cheltenham Town

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Shade
Swear to God that Matthews and Halliwell are reading this thread this afternoon. They basically said what I said about Keena, and just mentioned a 14 day cooling off period...
(I'm no longer listening to Lincoln comms, obviously)
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Surely Clarke has to be allowed to bring his own coaching staff in. The two games since Wade left suggest Russell wasn’t offering much in terms of tactical advice.
Ihearye
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 30 Sep 2023, 15:24 Surely Clarke has to be allowed to bring his own coaching staff in. The two games since Wade left suggest Russell wasn’t offering much in terms of tactical advice.
As much as some don't like to hear it, a direct result of the board being unable to hold on to almost the entire backroom staff over the summer
SOFT MACHINE
Clearly a huge Silk Purse from a Sow's Ear project of biblical proportions hoving into view for our newly ensconced manager! I know that because of "The Cheltenham Thing" we weren't able to scoop off the cream of the available crop during the summer but most of these guys don't seem to have the nous to realise they're playing for their futures - not just ours!
horlickfanclub
Dreadful commentary today with Pete struggling to describe the match without being talked over. . Too much repetition and very little description of the game. Like two blokes down the pub. Poor radio.
Shade
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 30 Sep 2023, 15:24 Surely Clarke has to be allowed to bring his own coaching staff in. The two games since Wade left suggest Russell wasn’t offering much in terms of tactical advice.
Bloxham confirmed before the match that Clarke has free reign over backroom staff.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote: 30 Sep 2023, 15:39
Bloxham confirmed before the match that Clarke has free reign over backroom staff.
Good to hear. Thanks for sharing.
Horteng
Clear out back room staff, let Darryl bring his own in, accept relegation this season (now) and build ready for next season.

That’s as good as the prospects are in my opinion.

This shower aren’t going to get us out of the hole they’ve got themselves in.

It’s embarrassing. Players don’t even care. Ship as many out as possible asap and save the funds for next season in L2.
Last edited by Horteng on 30 Sep 2023, 15:46, edited 1 time in total.
Benctfc
Agree we have seen enough evidence this season to suggest Vincent and Russell have offered nothing to improve our tactics or players in this squad. They need to go and a clean sweep brought in.
Horteng
Benctfc wrote: 30 Sep 2023, 15:45 Agree we have seen enough evidence this season to suggest Vincent and Russell have offered nothing to improve our tactics or players in this squad. They need to go and a clean sweep brought in.
Definitely. Can’t handicap the new manager.

End the niceness and have a ruthless clear out
Fuller
Horteng wrote: 30 Sep 2023, 15:47
Benctfc wrote: 30 Sep 2023, 15:45 Agree we have seen enough evidence this season to suggest Vincent and Russell have offered nothing to improve our tactics or players in this squad. They need to go and a clean sweep brought in.
Definitely. Can’t handicap the new manager.

End the niceness and have a ruthless clear out
And hopefully the ruthless clear out will continue in January with a large number of the current 29 players in our squad.
Shade
Horteng wrote: 30 Sep 2023, 15:44 Clear out back room staff, let Darryl bring his own in, accept relegation this season (now) and build ready for next season.

It’s embarrassing. Players don’t even care. Ship as many out as possible asap and save the funds for next season in L2.
NEVER ACCEPT RELEGATION. Especially when only 6 points from safety with 36 games to play.

What an absurd thing to think. Let's just do naff all for the next 7.5 months...
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Horteng wrote: 30 Sep 2023, 15:44 Clear out back room staff, let Darryl bring his own in, accept relegation this season (now) and build ready for next season.

Darrell. We are backing the new manager so can we get his name correct at least.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote: 30 Sep 2023, 15:54

NEVER ACCEPT RELEGATION. Especially when only 6 points from safety with 36 games to play.

What an absurd thing to think. Let's just do naff all for the next 7.5 months...
In fairness, planning for next season isn’t ‘naff all’.

We have to believe we can stay up and keep fighting, but we do need to plan for the possibility of L2.
Fuller
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 30 Sep 2023, 16:01

We have to believe we can stay up and keep fighting, but we do need to plan for the possibility of L2.
Any planning for next season will be on a considerably reduced budget if we are relegated don’t forget.
paperboy
Shade wrote: 30 Sep 2023, 15:19 Swear to God that Matthews and Halliwell are reading this thread this afternoon. They basically said what I said about Keena, and just mentioned a 14 day cooling off period...
(I'm no longer listening to Lincoln comms, obviously)
Ha ha.
I stuck with Radio Lincoln on the basis it was going to be the lesser of the evils.
P.M. saying that Aiden Keena was sacrificed after 30 minutes- but not on an altar sadly.
Robin
Another game with no goals, another defeat it's ground hog day yet again. The Clarke appointment is very promising but he will need time and some financial backing to sort this mess out.
I-Love-CTFC
Rob Street is genuinely one of the worst strikers to represent CTFC.
Fuller
I-Love-CTFC wrote: 30 Sep 2023, 16:16 Rob Street is genuinely one of the worst strikers to represent CTFC.
But he did well at Shrewsbury last season.
Some of our player’s confidence has been absolutely shot to pieces.
What a mess.
Playmeuptop
New manager has massive job on his hands to get confidence into the team. The players probably have no confidence in the strikers so when we go a goal down the whole team sinks and hides not wanting to get on the ball for fear of making a mistake.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Confidence is the main thing in my view. Last season we saw Keena being played in behind and down the channels and striking it so cleanly and powerfully into the net. I hadn’t ever see a CTFC striker hit shots so smoothly and hard before - they were like arrows and imo much better strikes than a lot of May’s goals in my view.

Apart from Peterborough he has barely done that at all. And that must only be confidence.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Fuller wrote: 30 Sep 2023, 16:10
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 30 Sep 2023, 16:01

Any planning for next season will be on a considerably reduced budget if we are relegated don’t forget.
Yes, hence the need to plan for that scenario in advance rather than it hitting us unprepared.
I-Love-CTFC
Fuller wrote: 30 Sep 2023, 16:24
I-Love-CTFC wrote: 30 Sep 2023, 16:16 Rob Street is genuinely one of the worst strikers to represent CTFC.
What a mess.
Did he? 4 goals in 43 appearances for Shrewsbury. He picked up more yellow cards than goals.
Horteng
What I’m saying is I cannot see the point in spaffing money up the wall this season when we look as good as relegated already. Can’t come close to scoring a goal let alone actually score one.

Save it for the L2 rebuild next season
ctfc-fan
Ihearye wrote:
As much as some don't like to hear it, a direct result of the board being unable to hold on to almost the entire backroom staff over the summer
And MM is doing much better?
Anteros
Just feel for the supporters who went today. Sounded like we were never going to get back into the game. Sounded like a training game for Lincoln. Not acceptable
Nesty
It's unfair to put all of the blame for poor procurement on Rusty, he was only given that roll later on, after most of the dross was signed.
Fuller
I-Love-CTFC wrote: 30 Sep 2023, 16:42
Fuller wrote: 30 Sep 2023, 16:24
What a mess.
Did he? 4 goals in 43 appearances for Shrewsbury. He picked up more yellow cards than goals.
Steve Cotterill said he did very well there last season, but what does he know?
Mind you, some young players look very tidy one minute, next thing you know they’re playing in the NL.
I-Love-CTFC
I hope Darrell Clarke can get the best out of Street. He signed a three-year contract and we don't give those out very often.
Robin
Horteng wrote: 30 Sep 2023, 16:51 What I’m saying is I cannot see the point in spaffing money up the wall this season when we look as good as relegated already. Can’t come close to scoring a goal let alone actually score one.

Save it for the L2 rebuild next season
Errmm, we should be signing players in January for next season no matter what league we are in. Far too many players out of contract not to do that.
Robin
Nesty wrote: 30 Sep 2023, 17:05 It's unfair to put all of the blame for poor procurement on Rusty, he was only given that roll later on, after most of the dross was signed.
Most of the dross who had us finish mid-table two seasons running :o :o I'm not saying it's all his fault but how many players signed this summer have done well. Southwood is a good league one keeper, Davies had a slow start but did well until he was dropped recently. Street works hard but no goal threat and limited link up play. Thompson has been in and out. Liam Smith has been crocked and doesn't look above league two level from what I've seen and that's before we talk about the SEVEN loans.
Fuller
I-Love-CTFC wrote: 30 Sep 2023, 17:21 I hope Darrell Clarke can get the best out of Street. He signed a three-year contract and we don't give those out very often.
I sincerely hope DC gets the best out of all of our 29 players.
Otherwise they’ll be playing in front of one man and his dog….
Ihearye
ctfc-fan wrote: 30 Sep 2023, 16:51
Ihearye wrote:
And MM is doing much better?
At this moment in time would happily swap places. However I did most of our backroom staff not just MM
Ben3
This is what I was worried about.

How long do we give the new man? The clock is ticking…
Si Robin
Robin wrote: 30 Sep 2023, 17:26
Nesty wrote: 30 Sep 2023, 17:05 It's unfair to put all of the blame for poor procurement on Rusty, he was only given that roll later on, after most of the dross was signed.
Most of the dross who had us finish mid-table two seasons running :o :o I'm not saying it's all his fault but how many players signed this summer have done well. Southwood is a good league one keeper, Davies had a slow start but did well until he was dropped recently. Street works hard but no goal threat and limited link up play. Thompson has been in and out. Liam Smith has been crocked and doesn't look above league two level from what I've seen and that's before we talk about the SEVEN loans.
Street was an MM signing