Tuesday night

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

longmover
I know this competition is done for us but it will be interesting to see the team selection and see where DC's head is at after the defeat to Wimbledon. I presume some of these players are now done (no more chances to impress), so is it going to be a team of (match day) squad players, youth teamers and players that need fitness?

IE: (so players on the periphery) if you're not in this squad then start looking for another club.
Jerry St Clair
Keena should start imho. And hopefully bag a goal or two to build confidence and match fitness.

Beyond that, it’s anyone’s guess I’d say.
HamTown
Would hope so. Want to see the time invested in to players that have a future at the club including Bradbury over Davies although hes not going to play 2 games in a week anyway.

Presumably minutes for Pett to build him up and to reduce pressure on Thompson. Would also like to see King get a run about.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Play as many of the kids who did well in the FA Youth Cup last week. Mark Halliwell ran through some of the names and stats on them in last week’s podcast.
asl
Tom King's brief cameo v Shrewsbury showed he physically isn't anywhere near good enough yet for the men's game.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote: 06 Nov 2023, 11:55 Tom King's brief cameo v Shrewsbury showed he physically isn't anywhere near good enough yet for the men's game.
So playing the West Ham U21s or whatever will be good for him then
Shade
asl wrote: 06 Nov 2023, 11:55 Tom King's brief cameo v Shrewsbury showed he physically isn't anywhere near good enough yet for the men's game.
At home v Bolton (I think it was) the next week, he was looking to make runs nobody else was bothering to make, but was being ignored time and again. If someone had popped the ball through into the space he was starting to make runs into, he'd have been through on goal, or into very attacking positions, a few times. If teammates played to his strengths then physicality might not be such a disadvantage.
Warwickshire Robin
If it was me I would be tempted to throw the 11 who started last Saturday's fiasco on again and tell then to sort themselves out! However, discretion being the better part of valour I would expect the starting team to be filled with players who need the minutes or who won't be anywhere near the team on Saturday, so I would go with something like:-

Harris

B. Williams
Bradbury
Bevan

D'Auria Henry
Hammond
Pett
Olayinka
Chapman

Keena
Lloyd
longmover
the Keena conundrum!!
Jim
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 06 Nov 2023, 14:39 If it was me I would be tempted to throw the 11 who started last Saturday's fiasco on again and tell then to sort themselves out! However, discretion being the better part of valour I would expect the starting team to be filled with players who need the minutes or who won't be anywhere near the team on Saturday, so I would go with something like:-

Harris

B. Williams
Bradbury
Bevan

D'Auria Henry
Hammond
Pett
Olayinka
Chapman

Keena
Lloyd
I'd go with something close to this, maybe try a youngster (Walters?) in the back 3 then play B Williams at LWB. Depends on how DC sees it - if he thinks it's just a fixture he could do without, give the loans a run plus any players that need fitness. Not sure it's a platform that will change his mind on too many - say if Peupion plays and does really well, then he's just showing he's good at U21 level, pretty sure we know that already.
Warwickshire Robin
Jim wrote: 06 Nov 2023, 15:52
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 06 Nov 2023, 14:39 If it was me I would be tempted to throw the 11 who started last Saturday's fiasco on again and tell then to sort themselves out! However, discretion being the better part of valour I would expect the starting team to be filled with players who need the minutes or who won't be anywhere near the team on Saturday, so I would go with something like:-

Harris

B. Williams
Bradbury
Bevan

D'Auria Henry
Hammond
Pett
Olayinka
Chapman

Keena
Lloyd
I'd go with something close to this, maybe try a youngster (Walters?) in the back 3 then play B Williams at LWB. Depends on how DC sees it - if he thinks it's just a fixture he could do without, give the loans a run plus any players that need fitness. Not sure it's a platform that will change his mind on too many - say if Peupion plays and does really well, then he's just showing he's good at U21 level, pretty sure we know that already.
I may be wrong but I believe Peupion and Butler-Oyedeji are cup tied so can't play.
Si Robin
They are, and I believe only a miracle will see LDH play in a Cheltenham shirt again.
Lord Elpuz
longmover wrote: 06 Nov 2023, 15:17 the Keena conundrum!!
Indeed !

However, I continue to think back to the pre season games, especially the one v West Brom, when the currently injured Bonds played that exquisite ball from deep defence, right into the path of Keena who confidently slotted it past the advancing WBA ‘keeper.

I just have this feeling that Pett will have the ability to play the right sort of ball into Keena’s path to help rehabilitate our promising striker of last season.

Tuesday nights game v WHU youngsters presents the very situation where such a partnership could be tested.

I’ve bought my ticket in anticipation.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Si Robin wrote: 06 Nov 2023, 17:21 They are, and I believe only a miracle will see LDH play in a Cheltenham shirt again.
Shame after his promising start
Garby74
Glad I'm not the only person that noted Tom Kings runs...and not one picking the through ball Shade.
Give him a run out.
everyman
Jerry St Clair wrote: 06 Nov 2023, 11:02 Keena should start imho. And hopefully bag a goal or two to build confidence and match fitness.

If he`s not fit in november why,is he the problem or the previous management and training issues ?
Jerry St Clair
everyman wrote: 07 Nov 2023, 09:06
Jerry St Clair wrote: 06 Nov 2023, 11:02 Keena should start imho. And hopefully bag a goal or two to build confidence and match fitness.

If he`s not fit in november why,is he the problem or the previous management and training issues ?
I don't know. But he doesn't look fit enough for L1 football this season for whatever reason. Hopefully DC can pinpoint why.
horlickfanclub
He is fit enough. Just needs a run in his proper position and decent support. A few goals and he will be up to speed.
Shade
At this stage, I think the problem is completely mental with Keena. Whether it's as simple as lack of confidence or he's homesick or something else going on in his personal life. He just isn't the same player, Alfie or not to play with. As Lord Elpuz says, even in pre-season Keena stuck away that chance v West Brom like he was born to do it. Now he can't even get a penalty on target when he's gifted the opportunity to break his drought. He's reminding me of Rufus Smalls from Mike Bassett! I still think that when he finally managed to get one in he will have a spurt. Happens so often up and down the leagues...although maybe not quite to this extent. Just hope fans get behind him rather than on his back as this goes on.
longmover
Shade wrote: 07 Nov 2023, 15:03 At this stage, I think the problem is completely mental with Keena. Whether it's as simple as lack of confidence or he's homesick or something else going on in his personal life. He just isn't the same player, Alfie or not to play with. As Lord Elpuz says, even in pre-season Keena stuck away that chance v West Brom like he was born to do it. Now he can't even get a penalty on target when he's gifted the opportunity to break his drought. He's reminding me of Rufus Smalls from Mike Bassett! I still think that when he finally managed to get one in he will have a spurt. Happens so often up and down the leagues...although maybe not quite to this extent. Just hope fans get behind him rather than on his back as this goes on.
How long do you give Keena though, he was given a penalty and he didn't score it, our seasons hard enough but we can't be carrying people when they're showing zero signs of improvement, its November!!!!

i can't speak for all but the folk around me at WR have pretty much had it with Keena. Shame as there is a player there but we need him now.
Shade
I don't know how long I'd give him as I don't know what his main issue is. He might need to go and see someone to get his head sorted out. Given what we paid for him, and as he's shown that he is capable, I'm personally willing to give him more chances from the bench throughout the season. I'd suggest the folk around you at WR try to keep faith. He's human. He's not on a terrible run of form out of choice and he's not some hopeful cheap punt on a striker who has come in and never shown that he belongs at the level.

I know others will disagree, but that's how I feel. Personally, I'd be more determined to turn things around if I was shown support and a bit of love than if I was booed and called a useless twat.
longmover
Shade wrote: 07 Nov 2023, 15:49 I don't know how long I'd give him as I don't know what his main issue is. He might need to go and see someone to get his head sorted out. Given what we paid for him, and as he's shown that he is capable, I'm personally willing to give him more chances from the bench throughout the season. I'd suggest the folk around you at WR try to keep faith. He's human. He's not on a terrible run of form out of choice and he's not some hopeful cheap punt on a striker who has come in and never shown that he belongs at the level.

I know others will disagree, but that's how I feel. Personally, I'd be more determined to turn things around if I was shown support and a bit of love than if I was booed and called a useless twat.
fair points, I think its more disappointment than anything with Keena (from where he was to now) if he's not scored by early December then I presume DC has a decision to make on him.
Warwickshire Robin
Shade wrote: 07 Nov 2023, 15:49 I don't know how long I'd give him as I don't know what his main issue is. He might need to go and see someone to get his head sorted out. Given what we paid for him, and as he's shown that he is capable, I'm personally willing to give him more chances from the bench throughout the season. I'd suggest the folk around you at WR try to keep faith. He's human. He's not on a terrible run of form out of choice and he's not some hopeful cheap punt on a striker who has come in and never shown that he belongs at the level.

I agree Shade. I would go as far as to say that unless we get a new striker in, having a fit and firing Keena is crucial to our chances of staying up.

I believe in order to stay up we need someone to score 12-15 goals between now and the end of the season and from what I have seen of our strikers at the back end of last season and the beginning of this one Keena is the one who I would guess is the likeliest to do so. I think Goodwin & Street may weigh in with half a dozen or so each if we are lucky but Keena is the one who if we can get him confident and provide the service he thrives on can shoot us to safety.

That isn't to say he will as he currently looks a long way from doing so but I think he is the most likely option we have.
Jerry St Clair
Well, we have our answer. DC has rung the changes.

Adshead, Chapman, Hammond in midfield.

:shock:
Haitch
We are f#!$ terrible, fed up of being optimistic now
Horteng
Joke
robinsrule
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 07 Nov 2023, 16:16

I agree Shade. I would go as far as to say that unless we get a new striker in, having a fit and firing Keena is crucial to our chances of staying up.

I believe in order to stay up we need someone to score 12-15 goals between now and the end of the season and from what I have seen of our strikers at the back end of last season and the beginning of this one Keena is the one who I would guess is the likeliest to do so. I think Goodwin & Street may weigh in with half a dozen or so each if we are lucky but Keena is the one who if we can get him confident and provide the service he thrives on can shoot us to safety.

That isn't to say he will as he currently looks a long way from doing so but I think he is the most likely option we have.
Totally agree with you and Shade on this one. We need him fit and firing! Hopefully DC can get to the bottom of whatever his problem is and can encourage and cajole the best out of him rather than running him down (which he is entitled to if it is purely a lack of effort on Keena’s part). I don’t see anyone else who is going to score the goals we need to stay up.
Ihearye
Keena - what we need and what he is delivering are two completely different things. The problem is that he has not even been good enough to make the bench at times. If he isn't showing enough to get a starting place and that remains the fact in a months time, I would look to sell. All very good saying we need him fit and firing, but he isn't and has shown little desire to.
All very good saying with the right support blah blah, but that kind of implies he is making the runs and nobody is finding him, that he is busting a gut to get into the box in good positions but the ball never arrives. Neither is true.
Robin
Si Robin wrote: 06 Nov 2023, 17:21 They are, and I believe only a miracle will see LDH play in a Cheltenham shirt again.
Is he injured or completely overlooked?
HamTown
Robin wrote: 08 Nov 2023, 11:56
Is he injured or completely overlooked?
Back at Fulham according to JP
Robin
Presumably we are still paying for him but don't have to include him in our training sessions. A disaster of a signing in reflection.
Si Robin
Injuries can't be helped sometimes
horlickfanclub
Why did we play a forward with limited left foot ability at left wing back and Chapman out of position? It was 11 against 9 on the pitch.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
horlickfanclub wrote: 08 Nov 2023, 13:43 Why did we play a forward with limited left foot ability at left wing back and Chapman out of position? It was 11 against 9 on the pitch.
I assume given the status of the game that DC was more concerned about giving certain players certain minutes - which meant playing some out of position.

For all we know DC may have said to Chapman “you are never going to play in centre mid so we will only keep you as a versatile back up for other positions…so show us if you can do that tonight.”

Last night’s selection was made purely with January and squad management for the L1 battle in mind, I would imagine.
horlickfanclub
If that is so it was useless. No use to those that had some ability and effort. January is a long way off and no certainty that the squad will improve.