Mike Duff

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

asl
Sacked by Swansea.
ctfc-fan
It’s got a Steve Cotterill feel about it. Left us, went to another club and left them quite soon and then got sacked from the club he went to (albeit he was assistant to Howard (Wilkinson?))
Si Robin
I don't think you can compare Duff doing a full season at Barnsley and taking them to a playoff final to Steve Cotterill leaving Stoke after 13 games to become an assistant.
paperboy
And Tony Mowbray gets the bullet from Sunderland too.
20 out of the 24 clubs in the Championship think they should be in the top 6 and anything less is failure.
So they roll the dice and hire a new manager and so it goes on.
Ralph
paperboy wrote: 04 Dec 2023, 22:35 And Tony Mowbray gets the bullet from Sunderland too.
20 out of the 24 clubs in the Championship think they should be in the top 6 and anything less is failure.

3pts off the playoffs. Crazy
Warwickshire Robin
In hindsight Duff to Swansea was never really going to be a good fit. You have to wonder what sort of due diligence some of these clubs do before appointing their Managers/Head Coaches. Duff's honest, pragmatic approach is light years away from the Russell Martin 'why make one pass when you can do seven' philosophy. Also, reading the Swansea statement it seems being local to the area is important to them and Duff was never going to move away based on his career to date.

Of course Michael needs to take some responsibility for taking such an unsuitable role too. Seemed to have a good thing going at Barnsley and let his heart and burning ambition rule his head. Still, someone will be getting a good manager soon enough without having to pay any compensation!
PCrobin
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 05 Dec 2023, 09:10
Of course Michael needs to take some responsibility for taking such an unsuitable role too. Seemed to have a good thing going at Barnsley and let his heart and burning ambition rule his head. Still, someone will be getting a good manager soon enough without having to pay any compensation!
Shrewsbury, probably. Only a matter of time! :lol:
bigdavejambo
can see Duff ending up at Rotherham
Si Robin
I don't think so - he left Barnsley partially because of the travel. Rotherham would be exactly the same.

I can see him taking a break, bit of punditry on Sky live games maybe, then seeing what comes up down the line.
Jerry St Clair
[quote="Si Robin”]

I can see him taking a break, bit of punditry on Sky live games maybe, then seeing what comes up down the line.
[/quote]

He’s already been spotted down at Lilleybrook!

I think you’re right. He’s been in continuous managerial employment for over five years. That’s pretty rare these days and must be draining being under that pressure for a sustained period of time.
Broadway Brian
Jerry St Clair wrote: 05 Dec 2023, 10:58 [quote="Si Robin”]

He’s already been spotted down at Lilleybrook!

I think you’re right. He’s been in continuous managerial employment for over five years. That’s pretty rare these days and must be draining being under that pressure for a sustained period of time.
[/quote]

Maybe he’ll finally get his dream move to Stoke and won’t need to force the move.

Alex Neill looking wobbly.
art vandalay
I‘m surprised about the comments on style of play as the first thing he did for us was to make our game possession-based, which was quite tedious to watch initially.
Warwickshire Robin
Si Robin wrote: 05 Dec 2023, 10:51 I don't think so - he left Barnsley partially because of the travel. Rotherham would be exactly the same.

Possibly however in this day and age you can't be out of work too long or you become yesterdays man, see the Cowleys, Leam Richardson etc.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
art vandalay wrote: 05 Dec 2023, 12:09 I‘m surprised about the comments on style of play as the first thing he did for us was to make our game possession-based, which was quite tedious to watch initially.
At times. A lot of the time the plan was ping it down the channels to get a throw then if we don’t head the throw into the net then pick up the ball on the edge of the box and shoot or recycle.

The 4-0 vs Tranmere is a good example. Wright’s goal was from a throw, as was another, and I think the others were a result of set pieces or turning over possession due to pressing.
Horteng
Bit of a scathing report from the local BBC guy basically he never fitted in from day 1. :shock:
Shade
Partly down to Swansea and MD both being set in their ways. If you remember, when Duffo came in here he was adamant about the way he wanted to play, the system he wanted to use. 10 games without a win changed that thinking before stumbling on the formation that worked (reverting to the 5-3-2 that we had been playing the season before, which the players were recruited for).

Duff also wasn't helped that they sold Piroe to Leeds a couple of weeks into the job. I watched Leeds v Swansea last week and they generally tried to play good football but most of the players weren't good enough for it, especially against a team that presses and presses. Hardly Duff's fault, if that's the way the fans demand they play. However, continuing to try and play it out from the back when you've lost it around your own area a dozen times already (sound familiar?) was probably a mistake.
Robin
paperboy wrote: 04 Dec 2023, 22:35 And Tony Mowbray gets the bullet from Sunderland too.
Think you've nailed it above, hard to see anyone outside of Swansea that would think Duff is underachieving their currently, bit of an odd decision in that regard.
Robin
bigdavejambo wrote: 05 Dec 2023, 10:01 can see Duff ending up at Rotherham
That would be career suicide, I would think he'll wait for the Stoke job personally.
duckers
Hopefully they go down, we stay up and beat them next season. That will give their supporters a reality check.
RobinHood
Thought it was a strange career move at the time, just didn’t really make massive sense to me.

Had he continued at Barnsley and got them promoted he could have commanded a better role than Swansea, who in recent years have been neither here nor there.

Just didn’t seem like a good fit from the start.
andgarod
I am sure Mickey will have had a good pay off
plymrob
At times. "A lot of the time the plan was ping it down the channels to get a throw then if we don’t head the throw into the net then pick up the ball on the edge of the box and shoot or recycle."

This sounds a bit demeaning. He's much better than that. Let's be fair.
art vandalay
Personally, I thought we played some great possession football under Duff, maybe even a bit OTT at times and we would have been better mixing it some more. That style of play lasted precisely 45 minutes under WE!
CS85
We played some of the best footy I've seen under mike duff in playoff season and what I did see of the championship season.
Had to be mixed up abit more once we reached league one but over all i thought we had entertaining football throughout most of his tenure.
robinsrule
I think the key thing is that we played “successful” football under Duff - football fans are a difficult and fickle bunch, they will always find something to moan about, but winning in any shape or style will always keep the fans off your back. Swansea fans are like most of those in the Championship, demanding promotion when they have neither the ownership, playing personnel or fanbase to expect it. They had a few good years in the Prem playing great football, but they were always a small fish in a big pond and history shows that all the smaller teams get relegated eventually. Now they are at their rightful level.

That said, it is clear that Duff made some errors, underplayed their rivalry with Cardiff and did little to get the fans onside. They accuse him of having no personality, a bit like us with Wade, but that becomes an irrelevance when you are winning games.
Horteng
Robin wrote: 05 Dec 2023, 17:44
bigdavejambo wrote: 05 Dec 2023, 10:01 can see Duff ending up at Rotherham
That would be career suicide, I would think he'll wait for the Stoke job personally.
Stoke job now available……