Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

asl
Pretty good attendance. Felt busy, too.
Jerry St Clair
Yep, amazing how much busier 5000 feels compared to 4000.

If the 4500 home fans who turned up today turn up on Friday, we’ll have a 6000 crowd.

(They won’t though, unfortunately).
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Largest home fans attendance, according to JP.

Shrews letting us down.
Si Robin
It's amazing the difference in how crowded it feels in the CF concourse when it's home fans only. I went for a drink at half-time and it didn't feel overly busy at all. Shut that door at block 6 though and it would have felt unsafe in there.
asl
I noticed, for the second home game in a row, that a number of flags were removed from the folks in block 1. I'm guessing it was to do with the poles they were on, rather than the flags, themselves. Having already had them confiscated against Orient, I wonder why they didn't fix the problem in advanceofthis game...?
Jerry St Clair
Si Robin wrote: 26 Dec 2023, 22:07 It's amazing the difference in how crowded it feels in the CF concourse when it's home fans only. I went for a drink at half-time and it didn't feel overly busy at all. Shut that door at block 6 though and it would have felt unsafe in there.
Yep, it’s mad. The door is pretty much half way along so 500 away fans get the same space, and the same number of toilets, as 1500 home fans.
Jerry St Clair
asl wrote: 26 Dec 2023, 22:21 I noticed, for the second home game in a row, that a number of flags were removed from the folks in block 1. I'm guessing it was to do with the poles they were on, rather than the flags, themselves. Having already had them confiscated against Orient, I wonder why they didn't fix the problem in advanceofthis game...?
I think that was planned. Stewards collect them at kickoff and take them to the storage area as agreed with the ground safety officer.
QED
Great atmosphere today. It really makes a difference when we’re over 4.5k home fans and there’s something to get behind on the pitch, at the end even the PRE was bouncing (relatively speaking), and the ovation for the players at the end felt like something is coming together here
Broadway Brian
It was quiet as a mouse until we scored. The team needs more from the crowd.
Jerry St Clair
Broadway Brian wrote: 26 Dec 2023, 23:48 It was quiet as a mouse until we scored. The team needs more from the crowd.
I now know that Liam Smith is known as "Smudger" because I could clearly hear Southwood issuing instructions to him from my seat 75 yards away in the CF. It was absolutely deathly silent for long periods of the first half.
Shade
Until the ref really started getting the crowd worked up. I think how c!#p he was actually worked in our favour.

Second half, for 20-30 seconds, the PRE was as loud as I'd heard it for years (other than when a goal is scored). Heard the Paddock giving it some as well.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
At one point even the CF was making noise, spreading along the blocks from the drum and 1887 lads.
andgarod
not to mention the main stand and even the red and white club and sponsors were giving the shrews director and mm some
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Home seats in CF sold out according to someone I know who tried to buy one. They won’t be attending now.

This is the problem when we give blocks of the CF to home fans. As discussed on the podcast, has the time come to stop that policy and make all of the CF home fans only for every game?

Also, on Boxing Day the four STs in front of me were empty meaning four unused seats on the halfway line. It will be interesting to see if the same happens today. If it does, then having four of the best seats empty whilst others miss out strengthens the argument for an official re-sale process for ST seats to be released for sale when they know they will not be attending.
Ihearye
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 29 Dec 2023, 12:00 Home seats in CF sold out according to someone I know who tried to buy one. They won’t be attending now.

This is the problem when we give blocks of the CF to home fans. As discussed on the podcast, has the time come to stop that policy and make all of the CF home fans only for every game?

Also, on Boxing Day the four STs in front of me were empty meaning four unused seats on the halfway line. It will be interesting to see if the same happens today. If it does, then having four of the best seats empty whilst others miss out strengthens the argument for an official re-sale process for ST seats to be released for sale when they know they will not be attending.
This empty ST seats is a bit of a mixed blessings for me. I get singles for visiting family then we have a look round just after kick off to see if any folk away on holidays that means we could sit together. But agree with the sentiment re missed income. Perhaps some system where folk in the same position as myself, who are ST holders, getting first call on any being offered up for re-sale?
Fuller
Agree RCS selling 1500 seats to Reading and our own supporters can’t get a seat, let alone the half time crush in the CF concourse.
I was surprised by the number of empty seats around Blocks 3, 4 & 5 that I could see. Family and other Xmas commitments often mean ST holders can’t attend on Boxing Day, shame to see those seats not being used.
andgarod
but on Boxing Day we did not appear to have sold out the CF so the empty ST had already been paid for so no income lost
How many extra to clubs get in the CF blocks 7 or 8
200 say so income £4000 so that pays a wage
The issue is do you resell ST seats but to prevent away fans you would have to have a register so that it was CTFC fans or neutrals and how much do you charge a discount and who gets the money
In the past I have struggled to give our 3 away
Having worked on a few people who now attend with family in their own right I can always fill the seat if it is spare

If people want to attend a match they sort it
Its those who decide its a nice Saturday I will attend who cannot get a seat

To try and solve that problem would be over complicated
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote: 29 Dec 2023, 12:13
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 29 Dec 2023, 12:00 Home seats in CF sold out according to someone I know who tried to buy one. They won’t be attending now.

This empty ST seats is a bit of a mixed blessings for me. I get singles for visiting family then we have a look round just after kick off to see if any folk away on holidays that means we could sit together. But agree with the sentiment re missed income. Perhaps some system where folk in the same position as myself, who are ST holders, getting first call on any being offered up for re-sale?
Good suggestion. I did the very same on Boxing Day when a mate visiting home for Christmas ordered a last minute ticket and sat in the seat next to me, which I already knew would be vacant due to an absent season ticket holder.

They wouldn’t have come if they a) didn’t know they could have sat next to me and b) couldn’t have bought a digital ticket 30 mins before KO.

The logical next step is as you say, a list of re-sale seats with first option for ST holders. Then on sale to those with a purchase history to stop away fans buying.

Perhaps the absent ST holder could take a cut of the ticket price to incentivise seats to be released?
horlickfanclub
On Boxing Day three blokes arrived a bit late wafting of alcohol. Spent half an hour filming on or looking at samba parades on their phones. Ten minutes before half time they left the stand and were not seen again. Probably in their fifties . The club got revenue but what a shame people genuinely interested could not get decent seats. Why did they bother coming? I was pleased they left.
Ben3
It’s time to flip ends. Let the away team have the PRE and block one of CF giving them about 2200 tickets, and give us the WR end and the rest of the CF.

Better income for us and away fans won’t mind standing….and better experience for home fans to keep them coming back. It must be possible
London Exile
If we stay up then maybe the idea of some temporary/modular seating around the old canteen terrace area could be revisited. I think I read that Mr Bloxham poo pooed the idea before but if the club do remain in L1 with the additional away support that brings (not to mention the increased new TV deal kicking in) maybe it’s not such a bad idea?
asl
Not saying it's not possible, Ben - but I think access concerns were the main stumbling block when this has been suggested in the past.
CS85
Yes the board have said they aren't happy with away fans having to go through the club car park to reach the away end,can only assume with the amount of home/away fans that mix although we do it at Bristol rovers/port vale.
Also there's no easy dividing line underneath the Colin farmer to be able to just give away fans one block,It would have to be 3 possibly four so the fans would have catering and toilet facilities.
Ihearye
CS85 wrote: 29 Dec 2023, 13:25 Yes the board have said they aren't happy with away fans having to go through the club car park to reach the away end,can only assume with the amount of home/away fans that mix although we do it at Bristol rovers/port vale.
Also there's no easy dividing line underneath the Colin farmer to be able to just give away fans one block,It would have to be 3 possibly four so the fans would have catering and toilet facilities.
They obviously have no problem with them going thru Parklands car park
Ben3
Yes, I don’t think it’s a simple solution, and it’s easy for me to suggest it without having to sort out the practicalities.

However, at present fans mix whilst coaches block whaddon road waiting for away fans…how is that preferable to coaches waiting for them at the end of the car park near the exit? And by opening up the corner of the PRE and CF stand access to toilets and (improved) facilities could all be at PRE (as well as the only entrance and exit).

I know cakebridge place was designed to open this option up but I think it’s worth revisiting. As well as the relationship with parklands whilst I’m at it!
Jerry St Clair

I said this at the start of the season. It's tricky for the club, because the risk is that when, say, Portsmouth visit they are guaranteed to sell blocks 6, 7, 8. There's no guarantee that CTFC fans would buy those if they denied them to Portsmouth.

Reading is a weird one. They'd sold 900 (i.e. Hazlewoods) to season ticket holders and members and then the tickets went on general sale. They did sell out, but quite slowly. So, not overwhelming demand. The question for the CTFC is "Would we have sold those to CTFC fans tonight". I'm not sure. Maybe, maybe not. We'll never know.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Yes, just needs some modifications and creative thinking.

E.g 1. As Ben says, away fans could access Block 1 from behind the goal with no access to the concourse. Have an away fans walkway along the far wall from WR and round that way so not passing right by the home bar.

Entrance from Cakebridge would help.

E.g 2. Away fans have Parklands turnstiles and the little bar, and the first gangway to the stand, but with a new shutter put in between the gangway and gents toilets so that home fans have all the toilets and canteen hatches. Home fans enter from turnstiles at the other end and from behind the goal. Could we then have home fans all down the side with segregation in the corner?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Jerry St Clair wrote: 29 Dec 2023, 14:34

I said this at the start of the season. It's tricky for the club, because the risk is that when, say, Portsmouth visit they are guaranteed to sell blocks 6, 7, 8. There's no guarantee that CTFC fans would buy those if they denied them to Portsmouth.

Reading is a weird one. They'd sold 900 (i.e. Hazlewoods) to season ticket holders and members and then the tickets went on general sale. They did sell out, but quite slowly. So, not overwhelming demand. The question for the CTFC is "Would we have sold those to CTFC fans tonight". I'm not sure. Maybe, maybe not. We'll never know.
They might not all have sold out, but there are people who want to go and can’t. This might put them off thinking of coming again. It also makes the experience of those in the rest of the CF have a much worse experience and may put some off returning. For example, I am already thinking of when to have my last water and tea of the day and when to start dehydrating myself in the knowledge that the toilets will be inaccessible at half time due to the chaos and crowding.

So it is not just lost revenue from the single match the club need to consider. It is the long term impact of people turned away being put off, and those suffering a poor experience being put off.

If we stay up I hope the policy is seriously reconsidered.
Jerry St Clair
I happen to agree RCS. I think we should keep the CF for CTFC fans for all games. I can empathise with the clubs thinking though.
Jerry St Clair
The Tunnel is now showing as limited availability on the ticket site website. I don't think I've ever seen that before.

Close to 6000 definitely possible tonight.
andgarod
If the tunnel is full and all the seating how many of the seats are being taken by reading fans
Fortunately we will never know because we wil have another clean sheet so nothing for them to celebrate
COYR
Ihearye
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 29 Dec 2023, 14:57
Jerry St Clair wrote: 29 Dec 2023, 14:34

They might not all have sold out, but there are people who want to go and can’t. This might put them off thinking of coming again. It also makes the experience of those in the rest of the CF have a much worse experience and may put some off returning. For example, I am already thinking of when to have my last water and tea of the day and when to start dehydrating myself in the knowledge that the toilets will be inaccessible at half time due to the chaos and crowding.

So it is not just lost revenue from the single match the club need to consider. It is the long term impact of people turned away being put off, and those suffering a poor experience being put off.

If we stay up I hope the policy is seriously reconsidered.
Totally this. We / they have to gamble if we want support to grow, selling CF to away support for the big matches, to me, does not work. Curious followers are attracted by the bigger matches and may return. OK they may not, but if they do manage to get 2 or 3 seats together they are fortunate, and they also have the experience of the away support being more vocal and visual than our own. Hardly something which would encourage you to return.
Also if DC wants to turn W Road into an intimidating fortress, we should be keeping away support down as much as is feasibly possible. I just think it is short term monetarism and not giving the home support what is needed. I would rather keep 100 CTFC supporters happy by getting sets in the CF than 500 contented away fans