Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Big gate and it felt like going to a proper football match before the game with the numbers milling around outside and in bars/fan zones.

Reading brought 1,516.

So 4,425 home fans.

Fewer home fans than the 4,553 on Boxing Day.
Ben3
Yes, so the availability or not of seats made no difference…but by giving reading more seats the home ends were more crowded and therefore a better atmosphere.

Funny - with my plan of swapping ends reading would’ve have had 2,200 tickets and we’d have had more seats. So todays attendance would’ve been about 6,600

Worth thinking about
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ben3 wrote: 29 Dec 2023, 22:47 Yes, so the availability or not of seats made no difference…but by giving reading more seats the home ends were more crowded and therefore a better atmosphere.

Funny - with my plan of swapping ends reading would’ve have had 2,200 tickets and we’d have had more seats. So todays attendance would’ve been about 6,600

Worth thinking about
Availability of seats did make a difference. We had fewer home fans than the last game, whilst many fans who want to sit were unable to attend. We could have seen over 4,750 home fans I reckon, had we given the home stand to home fans rather than away.
Jerry St Clair
Biggest crowd since……when? I don’t think I’ve see a Cheltenham attendance starting with a 6 since Everton in the cup.
Robin
We do seem to have a glass ceiling where we can't get over 6000 for a league game but as others have said that's very likely down to the lack of seats. If we had bigger capacity I'm sure overall attendance would have been higher tonight, is it worth maybe putting a temp stand in the paddock/canteen area even if it only holds around 500 it would be used for the big games.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote: 29 Dec 2023, 23:34 We do seem to have a glass ceiling where we can't get over 6000 for a league game but as others have said that's very likely down to the lack of seats. If we had bigger capacity I'm sure overall attendance would have been higher tonight, is it worth maybe putting a temp stand in the paddock/canteen area even if it only holds around 500 it would be used for the big games.
Even if it only holds 200 or 300 it is worth doing. Put away fans in it and get them out the Colin Farmer.
CS85
Jerry St Clair wrote: 29 Dec 2023, 23:21 Biggest crowd since……when? I don’t think I’ve see a Cheltenham attendance starting with a 6 since Everton in the cup.
Biggest since last seasons game vs fgr I expect. 5,901 with 700 away fans.
5,200 home fans which is probably the biggest we've had in a a FL game which isn't a playoff game.
Robin
CS85 wrote: 30 Dec 2023, 08:24
Jerry St Clair wrote: 29 Dec 2023, 23:21 Biggest crowd since……when? I don’t think I’ve see a Cheltenham attendance starting with a 6 since Everton in the cup.
5,200 home fans which is probably the biggest we've had in a a FL game which isn't a playoff game.
We had 7300 vs Leeds in a league game and around 6500 vs Brighton, also 7000 vs Oxford all for league games that come to my mind.
Jerry St Clair
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 29 Dec 2023, 22:56
Ben3 wrote: 29 Dec 2023, 22:47 Yes, so the availability or not of seats made no difference…but by giving reading more seats the home ends were more crowded and therefore a better atmosphere.

Worth thinking about
Availability of seats did make a difference. We had fewer home fans than the last game, whilst many fans who want to sit were unable to attend. We could have seen over 4,750 home fans I reckon, had we given the home stand to home fans rather than away.
If we had a shiny main stand holding 2500, there’s no doubt in my mind we’d have had 7000+ there last night. Good facilities make a huge difference.
Robin
The board really do need to find a way to build a new main stand but I would question their ambition if it were to only hold 2500 that would only increase overall capacity by around five hundred. Would need to be 3000 as an absolute minimum in my opinion.
Jerry St Clair
Yeah, and I suspect the cost difference between 2500 and 3000 wouldn’t be all that much anyway.
everyman
Robin wrote: 29 Dec 2023, 23:34 We do seem to have a glass ceiling where we can't get over 6000 for a league game but as others have said that's very likely down to the lack of seats. If we had bigger capacity I'm sure overall attendance would have been higher tonight, is it worth maybe putting a temp stand in the paddock/canteen area even if it only holds around 500 it would be used for the big games.
That area infront of the paddock canteen is so non-league ,surely a section of steel terracing like the one behind the goal at Evesham would improve the view for fans there.The canteen could stand on the unused little patio near the entrance there.
Jim
Robin wrote: 30 Dec 2023, 10:00 The board really do need to find a way to build a new main stand but I would question their ambition if it were to only hold 2500 that would only increase overall capacity by around five hundred. Would need to be 3000 as an absolute minimum in my opinion.
On the last trust podcast they said it would cost £12m to build a new main stand, which would be impossible without investment. Need to do something like a joint venture with the council or uni.... or sell Goodwin for £15m after he finishes the season with 35 goals!
CS85
everyman wrote: 30 Dec 2023, 10:48
That area infront of the paddock canteen is so non-league ,surely a section of steel terracing like the one behind the goal at Evesham would improve the view for fans there.The canteen could stand on the unused little patio near the entrance there.
Agreed,barrow have put in two temp seating stands either side of their main stand,surely we can fit one in there to give fans a better view.
vickeryc
CS85 wrote: 30 Dec 2023, 08:24
Biggest since 5,975 against Argyle on Boxing Day last season
paperboy
CS85 wrote: 30 Dec 2023, 11:15
Agreed,barrow have put in two temp seating stands either side of their main stand,surely we can fit one in there to give fans a better view.
A few of us have mentioned all this previously on here, but Dave Bloxsome seemed to say he doesn't favour a sticking plaster solution.
It would be good to know if the board have at least looked into various options and if they aren't viable well just tell us.
Warwickshire Robin
paperboy wrote: 30 Dec 2023, 12:26
CS85 wrote: 30 Dec 2023, 11:15
A few of us have mentioned all this previously on here, but Dave Bloxsome seemed to say he doesn't favour a sticking plaster solution.
It would be good to know if the board have at least looked into various options and if they aren't viable well just tell us.
Yes its very frustrating, as you say he seems to not like the sticking plaster option but there appears to be no ambition to do the full rebuild until we magic up circa £12m which is not going to happen. So is it really a sticking plaster if it lasts 5, 6, 7 or 10 years?!

The extra income of 500 or so seats will surely pay for itself over a mid to long term period?
CS85
The thing is aswell,the open terrace on the side (cng end) could be flattened levelled out and a fairly deep,steep...covered!! temp terrace could be put there.
Whilst I appreciate the majority are volunteers and cash is tight the club need to be more proactive when it comes to simple upgrades and facilities for the fans.
London Exile
Maybe the modular stands we’ve seen a growth in would be the way to go?
It seems to be increasing in popularity in the EFL with 3/4 of Wimbledon’s new stadium is built that way, one stand at Accrington and the whole of Salfords done using that method (RCS might know more but I’m sure both ends at Fulham were done that way too)
The club could keep the existing core of main stand and add a modular wing of seats either end and to to the front but a solution like that could add 1000 or so more seats.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
London Exile wrote: 30 Dec 2023, 14:17 Maybe the modular stands we’ve seen a growth in would be the way to go?
It seems to be increasing in popularity in the EFL with 3/4 of Wimbledon’s new stadium is built that way, one stand at Accrington and the whole of Salfords done using that method (RCS might know more but I’m sure both ends at Fulham were done that way too)
The club could keep the existing core of main stand and add a modular wing of seats either end and to to the front but a solution like that could add 1000 or so more seats.
The Hammersmith End at Fulham is pretty basic. A glorified temporary stand type structure, like that seen at the County Ground Bristol in places, and the Cheltenham Cricket Festival.

It was sort of built over the existing terrace, so a lot of the foundations and roof structures were in place.

There is no concourse per se, just the area behind the stand. The toilets are Victorian style gutter at the bottom of the outer brick wall of the stadium. Catering a mix of mobile hatches and carts, with one or two hatches in the old original buildings.
Malabus
Robin wrote:We do seem to have a glass ceiling where we can't get over 6000 for a league game but as others have said that's very likely down to the lack of seats. If we had bigger capacity I'm sure overall attendance would have been higher tonight, is it worth maybe putting a temp stand in the paddock/canteen area even if it only holds around 500 it would be used for the big games.
Another thing. When it gets crowded it’s hard to see anything in the PRE stand. It’s not really fit for purpose. The slope isn’t steep enough. Tall people are just rude and stand in front of you.

Don’t get me started about the cycling facilities, it’s simply a disgrace, treated as second class citizens.
ctfc-fan
Malabus wrote: Don’t get me started about the cycling facilities, it’s simply a disgrace, treated as second class citizens.
Too right Image
Ben3
Malabus wrote: 30 Dec 2023, 17:06
Robin wrote:We do seem to have a glass ceiling where we can't get over 6000 for a league game but as others have said that's very likely down to the lack of seats. If we had bigger capacity I'm sure overall attendance would have been higher tonight, is it worth maybe putting a temp stand in the paddock/canteen area even if it only holds around 500 it would be used for the big games.
Another thing. When it gets crowded it’s hard to see anything in the PRE stand. It’s not really fit for purpose. The slope isn’t steep enough. Tall people are just rude and stand in front of you.

Don’t get me started about the cycling facilities, it’s simply a disgrace, treated as second class citizens.
Bulldoze the lot and build a heartless frame off of junction 14. That’ll sort it
RegencyCheltenhamSpa

Which is why many don’t attend once the seats sell out, which is why shouldn’t sell these seats to away fans.
Jerry St Clair
https://gleventsstadia.co.uk/wp-content ... Stands.pdf

The 200 seater stand required a footprint of 30m x 4m x 3m and meets UEFA standards. Takes two weeks to install. 30m width could comfortably fit either side of the Main Stand?

400 extra seats. Sure, we'd lose the canteen and open section of the PRE standing, but they haven't sold out for a decade so hard to justify retaining them.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Jerry St Clair wrote: 30 Dec 2023, 18:56 https://gleventsstadia.co.uk/wp-content ... Stands.pdf

The 200 seater stand required a footprint of 30m x 4m x 3m and meets UEFA standards. Takes two weeks to install. 30m width could comfortably fit either side of the Main Stand?

400 extra seats. Sure, we'd lose the canteen and open section of the PRE standing, but they haven't sold out for a decade so hard to justify retaining them.
Hmm.
Last edited by RegencyCheltenhamSpa on 30 Dec 2023, 20:15, edited 1 time in total.
Ben3
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 30 Dec 2023, 18:48

Which is why many don’t attend once the seats sell out, which is why shouldn’t sell these seats to away fans.
Which is why many more did attend (that wouldn’t have done otherwise) yesterday. The fact less-more than the other day proves my point!

Oh come on RCS, you’re clutching at straws. At least my ‘swap-the-end’ theory has some facts behind it (giving away fans more tickets and us more seats’). Yours is just surmising that if we had 300 more seats left empty we’d have a bigger crowd 🙄
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ben3 wrote: 30 Dec 2023, 19:29
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 30 Dec 2023, 18:48

Which is why many more did attend (that wouldn’t have done otherwise) yesterday. The fact less-more than the other day proves my point!

Oh come on RCS, you’re clutching at straws. At least my ‘swap-the-end’ theory has some facts behind it (giving away fans more tickets and us more seats’). Yours is just surmising that if we had 300 more seats left empty we’d have a bigger crowd 🙄
It’s a fact that people didn’t attend because no seats were available. I know two myself!

How many people went in the PRE is irrelevant to that fact.

Nor is it about increasing the attendance. It is about enabling more home fans who want to sit to come, and making the experience better for those who do.

Your option may well achieve the same but taking away the PRE is a harder sell to some fans.
Last edited by RegencyCheltenhamSpa on 30 Dec 2023, 20:11, edited 1 time in total.
asl
I do wonder about having any semi-permanent structure in the Canteen area, though... Would there still be enough room to access the food trailer? Would the entry/exit to The Paddock be impeded? For that matter, do we use that gate for egress of any heavy equipment? Would the view from the security tower be impeded? (iirc, that's a fairly important consideration).

I don't know the answers, just putting up some potential problems.
Nham68

Where are tall people supposed to stand ?
Ben3
Nham68 wrote: 30 Dec 2023, 20:40

Where are tall people supposed to stand ?
Crowd was at least 3 people less than last week due to three giants (of mythical proportions) not attending. I know them myself and they verified it to be true.

Reality is - the seats available/not available made no difference to attendance. The away crowd DID make a difference and should’ve been accommodated at the PRE with home fans having GIGANTUAN levels of comfort
longmover
this comment had me in stitches :lol: :lol:
London Exile
asl wrote: 30 Dec 2023, 19:40 I do wonder about having any semi-permanent structure in the Canteen area, though... Would there still be enough room to access the food trailer? Would the entry/exit to The Paddock be impeded? For that matter, do we use that gate for egress of any heavy equipment? Would the view from the security tower be impeded? (iirc, that's a fairly important consideration).

I don't know the answers, just putting up some potential problems.
There’s a company called stadium solutions who can create bespoke stands. I think they did that small seated away stand at FGR and I’d imagine they could knock up something quite similar to the main stand so you had a raised seated deck and kept the space underneath for kiosks and toilet access
Ihearye
longmover wrote: 30 Dec 2023, 21:27
this comment had me in stitches :lol: :lol:
I thought maybe the solution was to let him bring his bike in and stand on the saddle. Two birds one stone
robinsrule
I agree with RCS - there are plenty of people (let’s call them casual fans) who won’t come u less they can sit down. The view from the PRE is atrocious even if you can see the pitch. I spent years in there but I much prefer to sit now because I want to see the game properly. If the seats sell out I will stand because I have supported the club all my life, but many people want a seat as a minimum necessity.

The key question to switching ends is: Would the revenue gained by selling seats to home fans at a higher price outweigh the loss of revenue from those who stop attending because they only want to stand up?

Actually in League 1 I think that’s a moot point because there are lots of clubs who would sell out the PRE, but it would be an important question in League 2. Also, could the Colin Farmer be split closer to the PRE, allowing away fans to get maybe 500 seats there? I’m pretty sure league regulations mean we have to provide seats for away fans.

Personally I would much prefer to be behind the goal at the Whaddon Rd end because the view and acoustics would be better.