Tom Pett

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

HamTown
Thought this was interesting https://www.soccerbase.com/players/play ... r_id=77004

Of the 6 league games he's played in its:

3 wins
2 draws
1 loss

(and that loss was vs Orient when we were winning with 10 men before he was subbed late on so feel like it could be practically counted as a win)

He seems so unnoticeable on the pitch yet so influential on the team's performance

Got to be number 1 on the recruitment agenda and I hope we can get him tied down ASAP and beyond the end of the season
Broadway Brian
A couple of others have said the same thing ;)
QED
Crazy that he was without a club for so long. Vital part of the DC machine
Robin
Pett will sign a new deal soon, Darrell Clarke said it after the Carlisle game. Think it was only a case of moving some of those unwanted players out first which he has done.
Jerry St Clair
HamTown wrote: 26 Dec 2023, 23:06
He seems so unnoticeable on the pitch yet so influential on the team's performance
As the game petered out in the last 10 mins yesterday, I made a point of just watching Pett. I think the key thing is his positional sense. He just seems to know here he needs to be to make an impact whether that's a block, an interception, shutting off a passing option, or being in space to receive a pass. Once he gets the ball he seems to have much more time on the ball than other players. I can't explain what he does differently to other players to have that impact, mind.
CS85
Reads the game well and keeps it simple,as said,seems to have more time on the ball and does not panic,exactly what we've needed in midfield,a calm head.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Jerry St Clair wrote: 27 Dec 2023, 08:58
As the game petered out in the last 10 mins yesterday, I made a point of just watching Pett. I think the key thing is his positional sense. He just seems to know here he needs to be to make an impact whether that's a block, an interception, shutting off a passing option, or being in space to receive a pass. Once he gets the ball he seems to have much more time on the ball than other players. I can't explain what he does differently to other players to have that impact, mind.
Yes, he was like the puppet master yesterday towards the end of the game.

Getting it in space and either carrying it forward or playing it quickly to another player in space.
HamTown
Broadway Brian wrote: 26 Dec 2023, 23:14 A couple of others have said the same thing ;)
Yes it's a bit of summing up what others have said but it's the stats that really caught my eye - going from no hopers to promotion chasing form! (little OTT I know)
Ihearye
I would go as far as to say he has helped stop us Free Fallin
PCrobin
:x
Ihearye wrote: 27 Dec 2023, 10:37 I would go as far as to say he has helped stop us Free Fallin
You sure, you won’t back down…?
andgarod
Thomo seemed to pass everything back to safety in the first half
May have been following orders
When Pett cam on things seemed to go forward more but there was a step change
Sercombe being saved and on a yellow meant we didnt miss him in the second half

I assume the contract has been signed and sitting on the fax machine with the FA numer typed in
Ihearye
PCrobin wrote: 27 Dec 2023, 10:49 :x
Ihearye wrote: 27 Dec 2023, 10:37 I would go as far as to say he has helped stop us Free Fallin
You sure, you won’t back down…?
NEVER
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
We’ve got Tom Pett in the middle
He’s got exactly what we need
Goodwin in attack, Freestone at the back
Cheltenham’s gonna win the f*cking league.
Jerry St Clair
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 28 Dec 2023, 16:24 We’ve got Tom Pett in the middle
Ace. Which reminds me, I was thinking that Johnson Had A Dream needs a DC reboot as the resurrection continues:

Darrell had a dream
To save a football team
We’d scored no goals…<struggling with this bit>
With Long at the back
And Street (or Lloyd) in attack
We’re Cheltenham Town
We’re on our way back.
plymrob
We'd scored f.all and were in free fall...
Shade
Pett is very, very quickly becoming one of the best midfielders we have ever had, imo. There is just a sense that when he is on the pitch, we will be absolutely fine. We haven't had many players over the years, not at third tier level anyway, who have inspired that kind of confidence.

I know this is very early and another league, but this so far reminds me of when Duff took over. We were in the s#!t, but we ended the season well clear with promotion form and then pushed on into the play-offs the next season, and then League champions the next. I'm not saying we will finish comfortably lower mid-table this season or get into the play-offs next season, but there are parallels. Only difference is it didn't take DC 10 games to start getting a tune out of the team he inherited, which was worse.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Jerry St Clair wrote: 28 Dec 2023, 16:49
Ace. Which reminds me, I was thinking that Johnson Had A Dream needs a DC reboot as the resurrection continues:

Darrell had a dream
To save a football team
With Long at the back
We’re Cheltenham Town
We’re on our way back.
Darrell had a dream
To save a football team
One point, no wins, no hope, not even a goal
Etc
Jerry St Clair
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 28 Dec 2023, 17:09

Darrell had a dream
To save a football team
With Long at the back
We’re Cheltenham Town
We’re on our way back.
Darrell had a dream
To save a football team
Etc
Bravo, over to 1887 Red Army……
everyman
CS85 wrote: 27 Dec 2023, 09:15 Reads the game well and keeps it simple,as said,seems to have more time on the ball and does not panic,exactly what we've needed in midfield,a calm head.
The ablity to move the ball on to another player keeping possession seems the easiest part of the game yet few can do it consistently because they choose to try the ambitious pass and end up giving the ball away.
duckers
Jerry St Clair wrote: 28 Dec 2023, 18:57
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 28 Dec 2023, 17:09

Darrell had a dream
To save a football team
With Long at the back
We’re Cheltenham Town
We’re on our way back.
Darrell had a dream
To save a football team
Etc
Bravo, over to 1887 Red Army……
With Long at the back
And Lloyd in attack (2 of the long standing lads from the Johnson / Duff era)
We’re Cheltenham Town
We’re on our way back

👏🏼
shevates
Jerry St Clair wrote: 27 Dec 2023, 08:58
AWARENESS knowing what could happen around him
asl
A bit of Alex Russell about him, in that respect - finds a pocket of space where others would be closed down.
Ben3
Pett was awesome tonight. Surely he could play a league up from us?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ben3 wrote: 29 Dec 2023, 22:28 Pett was awesome tonight. Surely he could play a league up from us?
Yes. That move late on where he skilled passed three or four players like peak Messi vs school boys was incredible. In one match he did things we rarely see from Cheltenham in a whole season.
Jim
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 29 Dec 2023, 22:35
Ben3 wrote: 29 Dec 2023, 22:28 Pett was awesome tonight. Surely he could play a league up from us?
Yes. That move late on where he skilled passed three or four players like peak Messi vs school boys was incredible. In one match he did things we rarely see from Cheltenham in a whole season.
He was unreal tonight, a couple of things he did I'm not seen sure i've ever seen from a Cheltenham midfielder. The control, touch and through ball to Lloyd first half was phenomenal
shevates
Apparently Russ Milton on the Radio tea time said we turned him down in pre season. Says it all
Jerry St Clair
Honestly, Tom Pett. I can’t think of a better individual performance I’ve ever seen from a Cheltenham player than his tonight. Just phenomenal.
Nesty
Robin wrote: 27 Dec 2023, 08:56 Pett will sign a new deal soon, Darrell Clarke said it after the Carlisle game. Think it was only a case of moving some of those unwanted players out first which he has done.
Its the end of the line for some players