Training ground

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Fuller
I see on social media today a video of our boys training at a venue that’s not our own Seasons. Ok it’s been cold but the ground is not frozen and that looks like a hybrid or artificial pitch?
Also I’d heard we train at WR on the Friday if we have a home game on the Saturday.
No doubt good reasons but seems a shame after we spent a large sum securing Seasons?
CS85
I've just seen the clip and looks like they've been training on bishops cleeves pitch.
Fuller
CS85 wrote: 11 Jan 2024, 20:13 I've just seen the clip and looks like they've been training on bishops cleeves pitch.
Kayte Lane? Passed it but never been in, what sort of pitch is it?
CS85
Yes kayte Lane,its an all weather pitch/3g pitch.
I always thought our pre season games there stopped because we didn't like our players on artificial grass,maybe it was for other reasons.
ctfc-fan
I’m sure there was a mention on the Facebook page that they’d been training there.
Shade
I'd take a stab in the dark that all the recent rain means Seasons would be a mud bath if it was trained of every day.
everyman
We do use Kayte Lane when seasons pitches aren`t suitable and it`s closer than Evesham where have trained previously.Maybe the pre-season friendly/pig roast is back on ?
Artemis
CS85 wrote: 11 Jan 2024, 20:21 Yes kayte Lane,its an all weather pitch/3g pitch.
I always thought our pre season games there stopped because we didn't like our players on artificial grass,maybe it was for other reasons.
Used to play a friendly at Cirencester, also on an artificial pitch. Haven't done for a while now.
Lord Elpuz
Training venues used in recent years include the domed indoor facility at Cirencester during periods of heavy snow (rare now, but awaiting Mal’s ‘prophet of doom’ forecast for next week ;) ), Winchcombe school all-weather, Evesham FC all-weather and now Bishops Cleeve FC all-weather. Heavy muddy pitches risk ankle & knee injuries as well as destroying the surface for a considerable length of time. We are fortunate to have a number of all-weather pitches we can use within a 15-20 mile radius.
horlickfanclub
We could take the painted boards down and train on Cakebridge Place surrounds.. Roger Thorndale trained there when it was "The Cabbage Patch" and managed 700 + games without training injuries.
Lord Elpuz
horlickfanclub wrote: 12 Jan 2024, 11:06 We could take the painted boards down and train on Cakebridge Place surrounds.. Roger Thorndale trained there when it was "The Cabbage Patch" and managed 700 + games without training injuries.
You are not wrong. Difference between then and now of course, is because professional training is much more intense than for part-time amateurs; the bodies, bones and joints are worked much harder and for longer. Despite the levels of fitness, there is greater risk and pressure on the physique. It is well known that professional football these days requires almost bowling green surfaces to ensure the athletes (as they are now, as opposed to fag smoking, beer drinking part-timers of past times) don’t get injured from poor surfaces.