Done deal

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Uppy
It’s a tough one to take for our chances but if someone had said 16 games ago that we’d have got this fee you’d have bitten their hand off
ctfc-fan
Warwickshire Robin wrote:Stoke on Trent Live reporting thst the sell on fee Stoke are getting is 'significant'.

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/f ... in-9041725

Read into that what you will.
I can only see them state ‘healthy’ not ‘significant’.
Fuller
ctfc-fan wrote: 17 Jan 2024, 22:32
Warwickshire Robin wrote:Stoke on Trent Live reporting thst the sell on fee Stoke are getting is 'significant'.

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/f ... in-9041725

Read into that what you will.
I can only see them state ‘healthy’ not ‘significant’.
It says “Stoke City are set to pocket the cash from a significant sell-on clause after former youth striker Will Goodwin completed a £400,000 transfer from Cheltenham Town to Oxford United.”
Ben3
Haha what a great piece of business!

Good luck will. Tried hard and helped turn our season around.

But £400k ? Hahahahhahaha (laughing all the way to the bank)
Ihearye
Ben3 wrote: 17 Jan 2024, 23:07 Haha what a great piece of business!

Good luck will. Tried hard and helped turn our season around.

But £400k ? Hahahahhahaha (laughing all the way to the bank)
Your lack of business rationale shines through. It is not like you have put 20k on a horse and it won you 400k, which you can put in your pocket and save for a rainy day.
The market shows that if we wanted to go out and buy a similar inexperienced forward, 400k is what we would have to spend. However, we want and need experienced, plus 4 others,
I would suggest the ones that are laughing are the teams around us
Garby74
I would suggest Ben 3 is the biggest wind up merchant since the CTFC lead transfer negotiator.

The deal stinks.

We just had a injection of cash.

Why sell our leading scorer.

The board truly are making the great escape even more difficult.

Unless DC has a plan.....

Personally and speaking to my friends who are fans, we all thinks it's football suicide.

£800k is a different conversation...but peanuts yet again ...when we don't need to sell WTF
Si Robin
I love this belief that we can simply make Will Goodwin stay and continue performing at the same level for the rest of the season, despite depriving him of a move to a bigger club (and Oxford are bigger) to earn more money and potentially gain promotion.

This isn't Fifa or Football Manager. Once clubs started making offers it is a case of when and not if he goes. And this goes for any player at Cheltenham. That isn't "little old Cheltenham", that's a fact. That people can't seem to grasp this really blows my mind.

£400k minus the less than 20% sell-on to Stoke for someone we paid £20k for a year ago and, a forward who has 6 league goals and 1 assist to his name is great business. It hinders us, of course it does, but it doesn't mean relegation. I'm convinced of that.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Si Robin wrote: 18 Jan 2024, 07:59 I love this belief that we can simply make Will Goodwin stay and continue performing at the same level for the rest of the season, despite depriving him of a move to a bigger club (and Oxford are bigger) to earn more money and potentially gain promotion.

This isn't Fifa or Football Manager. Once clubs started making offers it is a case of when and not if he goes. And this goes for any player at Cheltenham. That isn't "little old Cheltenham", that's a fact. That people can't seem to grasp this really blows my mind.

£400k minus the less than 20% sell-on to Stoke for someone we paid £20k for a year ago and, a forward who has 6 league goals and 1 assist to his name is great business. It hinders us, of course it does, but it doesn't mean relegation. I'm convinced of that.
If the player has the right attitude, then turning down offers now would make the player more determined to perform better to attract a bigger offer in the summer.

Last season we had a striker who did exactly that, who in their own words “wants the best for their family which means having to keep scoring goals.”

If a striker wants a move, then goals and assists will attract more offers with more money from bigger clubs than sulking and being stroppy would.
Ben3
Si Robin wrote: 18 Jan 2024, 07:59 I love this belief that we can simply make Will Goodwin stay and continue performing at the same level for the rest of the season, despite depriving him of a move to a bigger club (and Oxford are bigger) to earn more money and potentially gain promotion.

£400k minus the less than 20% sell-on to Stoke for someone we paid £20k for a year ago and, a forward who has 6 league goals and 1 assist to : :D D his name is great business. It hinders us, of course it does, but it doesn't mean relegation. I'm convinced of that.
[/ :D quote]

Careful Si, we’ll have none of that sense on this board!

There is such a strong anti-board agenda on here that even buying a player for £20k - him being at best bang-average, and then selling him for £400k is somehow a problem. You couldn’t make it up :D

It’s the same people who cried their hearts out when broom left (and probably want him back :D ), who can’t get into the squad of the leagues bottom club. Because he’s rubbish at football.

It’s clearly great business, well done to the board and DC, let’s hope whoever fills his boots steps up. Don’t forget our current messiah George Lloyd was nowhere in the plans a few months ago. I say out Bradbury up there in the style of Paul warhurst and see what his return is
Si Robin
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 18 Jan 2024, 08:12 Said striker might well have performed on the pitch, but that's because he knew he was going for peanuts.

The point is, the board have got pelters for keeping Alfie and agreeing to abide by a gentleman's agreement that was between him and an employee that was actually no longer at the club. Now they're getting pelters for making a profit of over £300k on a player who, to be frank, has been good for 4-5 months.

I'm no apologist for the board, the Alfie deal still riles me, but players hold all of the cards now and, as mentioned above, once one does well for Cheltenham it's a case of when they go and not if. We really should be used to it by now.
Said striker might well have performed on the pitch, but that's because he knew he was going for peanuts.

The point is, the board have got pelters for keeping Alfie and agreeing to abide by a gentleman's agreement that was between him and an employee that was actually no longer at the club. Now they're getting pelters for making a profit of over £300k on a player who, to be frank, has been good for 4-5 months.

I'm no apologist for the board, the Alfie deal still riles me, but players hold all of the cards now and, as mentioned above, once one does well for Cheltenham it's a case of when they go and not if. We really should be used to it by now.
Ihearye

Indeed, it makes great business sense if the £ that are left over are clear profit, but it can't be seen in such simple terms. It won't make that much of an impact, business wise if we have to outlay a similar amount to fill the gap that's left. Unless we go for loans or a cheaper young inexperienced replacement. Which in a relegation fight carries its own dangers
shevates
Don't think many if any are saying its bad business turning a 20k investment into a 300k profit its excellent. To me its the timing of it.
From what I've read and heard DC wasn't expecting this at all. If he fails to replace Goodwin, our chances of escaping the drop have virtually disappeared, I'm not saying we would survive with him either.
Relegation will be more costly than the 300k profit made from the sale of Goodwin. Players in Div 2 on Div 1 wages, sponsorships down, far fewer season tickets sold, attendance down,less hospitality, and to look in the away end and see 200 fans and not a thousand.
I'm no business man what so ever, but I'd of thought those things I've mentioned would be taken into consideration if we get relegated. Our income would be dramatically cut
Dammed if you do Dammed if you don't situation, I feel it was for the board.
everyman
I hope we can replace him with someone who can score the goals to keep us in this league,i can`t see young Street being the one to achieve that,but i thought the same about Goodwin last year ?
PCrobin
So if DC really didn't want to lose Goodwin, Bloxham's quote on Tuesday was bull then...

"We are not looking to sell Will," Bloxham said. "We are going to be guided by the manager (Darrell Clarke) in terms of what he wants to do."

This is why fans lose faith in the board..
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
PCrobin wrote: 18 Jan 2024, 09:47 So if DC really didn't want to lose Goodwin, Bloxham's quote on Tuesday was bull then...

"We are not looking to sell Will," Bloxham said. "We are going to be guided by the manager (Darrell Clarke) in terms of what he wants to do."

You missed out the important final line. “But final decision will be made by the Board.”
PCrobin
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 18 Jan 2024, 10:02
PCrobin wrote: 18 Jan 2024, 09:47 So if DC really didn't want to lose Goodwin, Bloxham's quote on Tuesday was bull then...

You missed out the important final line. “But final decision will be made by the Board.”
;) ah I blame the Gloucestershire Live website....that line was hidden by 15 ads and pop ups... :lol:
horlickfanclub

Realistic and spot on summary Si.
horlickfanclub
Fuller wrote: 17 Jan 2024, 18:27 A few saying the money will boost the budget but who are the players lining up to join a team in a relegation battle?
It ain’t easy getting anyone to join us. We’re already 17 days into January and we’ve had two targets turn us down.
I’d rather Goodwin had stayed. Let’s build a team that can stay together for a few years, with good young committed players.
Fed up of all these departures both on and off the pitch at our club.
Tom Pett signed for the season.
horlickfanclub
Ihearye wrote: 17 Jan 2024, 18:11
Si Robin wrote: 17 Jan 2024, 17:21 You seem to assume DC wasn't on board with this. Why?
I can only make my conclusions without, like yourself and others, having no insight as to what goes on at board level.

In saying that, it is clear we have missed a number of our first line targets, last week it was two of the 3 - 4, if it is worse or the same as we stand now. Who knows. However, what is evident is that it is not easy now, or historically to get players into CTFC, for one reason or another. Given that, it makes no logical sense for a manager to want to sell one of his regular starting 11 in the middle of a relegation scrap.
The presumption is that the extra £ we now have will make his job easier for him. But the facts are that Goodwin a relatively inexperienced striker is worth 400k and DC has made it known we are after experienced players. Where do we find an extra experienced striker plus the other 3 - 4? Given what we know we couldn't get near an experienced striker for 400k.

That is the logic I am applying, be it right or wrong, that makes me doubt DC wanted to sell Goodwin.
Maybe I am well wide of the mark and Goodwin in the start of a chain of events that are already lined up and we see our striker announced this week. But to ME, it sounds like a commercial decision
Tom Pett signed for the season. He is happy to be here.
Ihearye
horlickfanclub wrote: 18 Jan 2024, 10:33
Ihearye wrote: 17 Jan 2024, 18:11
Si Robin wrote: 17 Jan 2024, 17:21 You seem to assume DC wasn't on board with this. Why?
I can only make my conclusions without, like yourself and others, having no insight as to what goes on at board level.

In saying that, it is clear we have missed a number of our first line targets, last week it was two of the 3 - 4, if it is worse or the same as we stand now. Who knows. However, what is evident is that it is not easy now, or historically to get players into CTFC, for one reason or another. Given that, it makes no logical sense for a manager to want to sell one of his regular starting 11 in the middle of a relegation scrap.
The presumption is that the extra £ we now have will make his job easier for him. But the facts are that Goodwin a relatively inexperienced striker is worth 400k and DC has made it known we are after experienced players. Where do we find an extra experienced striker plus the other 3 - 4? Given what we know we couldn't get near an experienced striker for 400k.

That is the logic I am applying, be it right or wrong, that makes me doubt DC wanted to sell Goodwin.
Maybe I am well wide of the mark and Goodwin in the start of a chain of events that are already lined up and we see our striker announced this week. But to ME, it sounds like a commercial decision
Tom Pett signed for the season. He is happy to be here.
Well that proves me wrong, what was I thinking. Only a matter of time until he starts banging the goals in
Si Robin
shevates wrote: 18 Jan 2024, 09:17 Don't think many if any are saying its bad business turning a 20k investment into a 300k profit its excellent. To me its the timing of it.
From what I've read and heard DC wasn't expecting this at all. If he fails to replace Goodwin, our chances of escaping the drop have virtually disappeared, I'm not saying we would survive with him either.
Relegation will be more costly than the 300k profit made from the sale of Goodwin. Players in Div 2 on Div 1 wages, sponsorships down, far fewer season tickets sold, attendance down,less hospitality, and to look in the away end and see 200 fans and not a thousand.
I'm no business man what so ever, but I'd of thought those things I've mentioned would be taken into consideration if we get relegated. Our income would be dramatically cut
Why have they? I really don't get this feeling at all.

He's been injured since very early in the Carlisle game. Including that Carlisle game we have won 3, drawn 1 and lost 1.

I'm not arguing about his performances, they've been top notch, but he's not the sole reason we're in with a chance of staying up.
Warwickshire Robin
The bottom line for me is 'Is Darrell Clarke OK with this deal and does he feel he can work around it'? If yes, then fine, if not then that could be very bad for us in the long run even if £400k + add ons is a reasonable deal financially.
Shade
shevates wrote: 18 Jan 2024, 09:17
From what I've read and heard DC wasn't expecting this at all.
If DC didn't want this to happen then maybe, less than two months ago, he shouldn't have helped put him in the shop window by saying this to the press:
“Goody has been a pleasure to work with since I’ve been in the building,” Clarke said. “He has a lot of attributes that are very good and we want to kick him on. He is only going to get better and better the more minutes he plays.

“He has that physical presence and attributes that could play at a higher level, he just needs that consistency of games and performances.”

“He should be thinking ‘number 9s are few and far between’ and if he can produce that consistent level of performance, the world is his oyster.”
shevates
Well Oxford, Charlton, and 2 other clubs seem to understand it, thats why Oxford have met a good valuation.
Of course he's not the sole reason that we have a chance of staying up but in my eyes he's the most improved player under DC. Until his arrival I wouldn't of given you £4 yet alone 400k for him. If DC gets a reasonable replacement in fair enough. I just feel 3 forwards arnt enough and with one of those 3 woefully lacking form were left with 2. As I keep saying business is good without doubt, not convinced with the timing, time will tell
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Si Robin wrote: 18 Jan 2024, 10:41
shevates wrote: 18 Jan 2024, 09:17 Don't think many if any are saying its bad business turning a 20k investment into a 300k profit its excellent. To me its the timing of it.

He's been injured since very early in the Carlisle game. Including that Carlisle game we have won 3, drawn 1 and lost 1.

I'm not arguing about his performances, they've been top notch, but he's not the sole reason we're in with a chance of staying up.
Squad game.
1985CTFC
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 18 Jan 2024, 12:15

Squad game.
Time for Aiden to step up to the plate. Both him and NBO need to get that goal to get a confidence boost. Carlisle Saturday is the day for one of them to do that.
Ihearye
1985CTFC wrote: 18 Jan 2024, 12:29

Squad game.
Time for Aiden to step up to the plate. Both him and NBO need to get that goal to get a confidence boost. Carlisle Saturday is the day for one of them to do that.
Keena could play 50 matches and still not be the type of player Goodwin was, that is just the case, not a criticism. Carlisle played a decent game against Barnsley and have brought in fresh faces, so will be far from an easy match
1985CTFC
Ihearye wrote: 18 Jan 2024, 12:54
1985CTFC wrote: 18 Jan 2024, 12:29

Squad game.
Keena could play 50 matches and still not be the type of player Goodwin was, that is just the case, not a criticism. Carlisle played a decent game against Barnsley and have brought in fresh faces, so will be far from an easy match
Agree tough game. Be interesting if he can score to see if he can go on a scoring run. Take the pressure off the other strikers
Ihearye

Is he worth 400k? with the current madness on transfer figures, who knows
Are we doomed without him? Time will tell, maybe not doomed without HIM, but we can't survive for half a season with the remaining strike force and play the game we are currently playing.

Logic would determine that the only way DC would have been OK with him going, is if he had a replacement ready and signed up. If we don't, you may as well put the Goodwin profit into a League 1 2024-2025 bonus package for the existing squad. Then see how it rides out
I
longmover
would like to know the background to this move, I presume their was notice of interest to Goodwin prior to the offer, wonder if this is why we kept Keena around.
Garby74
Sell May and now Goodwin and expect Keena to step up!

The world's gone mad.

Keena aint looked interested all season.

Maybe he's going to promote King
Jim
Garby74 wrote: 18 Jan 2024, 16:06 Sell May and now Goodwin and expect Keena to step up!

The world's gone mad.

Keena aint looked interested all season.

Maybe he's going to promote King
I did wonder this - maybe he had a big Christmas dinner and now he's ready for men's football.
Artemis
Ihearye wrote: 18 Jan 2024, 08:42

Indeed, it makes great business sense if the £ that are left over are clear profit, but it can't be seen in such simple terms. It won't make that much of an impact, business wise if we have to outlay a similar amount to fill the gap that's left. Unless we go for loans or a cheaper young inexperienced replacement. Which in a relegation fight carries its own dangers
We could always go for an experienced player with no or a nominal fee. How much did we pay for Tom Pett, Luke Varney, Liam Smith, Tony Naylor or Alfie May. All experienced league footballers and way more experienced than Will Goodwin.

DC is effectively replacing 6 or 7 loans (I lost count how many we had at one point) with 3 to 4 experienced heads. They'll be out there.
We now have more cash at our disposal to make the five month contract more lucrative on a see where we are at the end of season agreement.
Shade
Let's offer Charlton £300k for May :lol:
Ihearye
Such a good deal that the CTFC web site is full of it