Match off tomorrow

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Shade
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 19 Jan 2024, 22:48
shevates wrote: 19 Jan 2024, 21:42
Fuller wrote: 19 Jan 2024, 20:04 When we played Newcastle in the FA Cup in January 2006 we were in the middle of a cold spell. If I recall correctly the BBC wanted to make sure the game was on and it was a noon kick off on the Saturday and an upset was on the cards and Souness was about to get the boot.
So the BBC paid for extra frost protection for the pitch, think they got extra blankets from the racecourse?
I was in hospitality that day but I remember it’s was real brass monkey weather. Ok we lost 0-2, but it was a great day. Loved that season under Wardy.
They were the exact frost sheets the 500 club invested in
It was a great investment Shev.
No doubt. I'm sure they've helped keep a lot more games on than games that have had to be PP'd.
Malabus
Currently 05:20 (5c) much milder, zero frost and temperatures set to rise to 8c/9c into the day.
Another Saturday game day wasted. The person who called the game off should have looked at the forecast, as I mentioned yesterday.

Carlisle will be much stronger for the arranged fixture, we have games piling up, expect this will have an affect on our survival; as we attract injuries like bees to honey.

Don't know whether to go to Gloucester and cheer on Blyth Spartans.

I do hope lessons are learnt.
andgarod
I dont know where you live Mal but I am less than a mile from WR and its 4C at 7am
So obviously a frozen pitch will be thawing out - quickly?
Just saying
Malabus
andgarod wrote:I dont know where you live Mal but I am less than a mile from WR and its 4C at 7am
Just saying
My Newentor Weather Station at present is reading 7.2c (outside temp) and climbing. One of the most accurate amateur stations on the market. If we can’t play football in those temperatures then we have a problem. Local games, Hereford and Newport are on.

Vote here : https://x.com/mlabus5/status/1748610810 ... vD-GQJgVcA
Ben3
That amateur kit is good fun; those of us who work in the met office call it ‘metal detectors for kids’. Fair play to you for trying though Mal, it is fun to play with.
ctfc-fan
Ben3 wrote:That amateur kit is good fun; those of us who work in the met office call it ‘metal detectors for kids’. Fair play to you for trying though Mal, it is fun to play with.
And Mal acts like a kid
Malabus
ctfc-fan wrote:
Ben3 wrote:That amateur kit is good fun; those of us who work in the met office call it ‘metal detectors for kids’. Fair play to you for trying though Mal, it is fun to play with.
And Mal acts like a kid
Reported.
ctfc-fan
Malabus wrote:
ctfc-fan wrote:
And Mal acts like a kid
Reported.
Lol
Ihearye
Ben3 wrote: 20 Jan 2024, 08:16 That amateur kit is good fun; those of us who work in the met office call it ‘metal detectors for kids’. Fair play to you for trying though Mal, it is fun to play with.
Can't be that much better / worse than whatever the met office uses, whose morning forecasts for the day have a discrepancy of +/- 2 degrees.
Alf
Broadway Brian wrote: 19 Jan 2024, 20:53 Darrell wanted this off
Given the option of risking injuries playing two vital games in four days or playing Bolton with a fully fit team on Tuesday, I wouldn’t blame him.
Warwickshire Robin
Malabus wrote: 20 Jan 2024, 05:25
Carlisle will be much stronger for the arranged fixture, we have games piling up, expect this will have an affect on our survival; as we attract injuries like bees to honey.
Agree about the worry of fixtures piling up however there is every chance we will be stronger too when the game is played with the 3/4 new faces expected.
Malabus
Warwickshire Robin wrote:
Malabus wrote: 20 Jan 2024, 05:25
Agree about the worry of fixtures piling up however there is every chance we will be stronger too when the game is played with the 3/4 new faces expected.
Great points.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Malabus wrote: 20 Jan 2024, 07:47
andgarod wrote:I dont know where you live Mal but I am less than a mile from WR and its 4C at 7am
Just saying
My Newentor Weather Station at present is reading 7.2c (outside temp) and climbing. One of the most accurate amateur stations on the market. If we can’t play football in those temperatures then we have a problem. Local games, Hereford and Newport are on.

The outdoor unit for the Newentor doesn’t look very good - just a small unit?

We have one of these Bresser’s mounted 3 or 4 metres high in the back garden.

https://www.bresseruk.com/Weatherstatio ... ensor.html

I can recommend it Mal, if you want to improve your weather game.
Ben3
Ihearye wrote: 20 Jan 2024, 09:33
Ben3 wrote: 20 Jan 2024, 08:16 That amateur kit is good fun; those of us who work in the met office call it ‘metal detectors for kids’. Fair play to you for trying though Mal, it is fun to play with.
Can't be that much better / worse than whatever the met office uses, whose morning forecasts for the day have a discrepancy of +/- 2 degrees.
Without giving away too many trade secrets, you’re not far off…a forecast is just that, a guess at the future. +/- 2 is amazingly good for a guess…the accuracy of the reality is to the nth degree
everyman
longmover wrote: 19 Jan 2024, 12:22 The away end gets very little sun, the damage has been done with the recent temperatures so even if it doesn't freeze overnight its still not warm enough or time enough to be playable.

Imagine the fall out if this was called off tomorrow morning, make the call early considering the opposition.
Perhaps we should take the roof off the away stand,it`s only helping them to make more noise and keeping the sun from warming the pitch :D
Malabus
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Malabus wrote: 20 Jan 2024, 07:47
Just saying

The outdoor unit for the Newentor doesn’t look very good - just a small unit?

We have one of these Bresser’s mounted 3 or 4 metres high in the back garden.

https://www.bresseruk.com/Weatherstatio ... ensor.html

I can recommend it Mal, if you want to improve your weather game.
The Newentor has never let me down. A very accurate piece of technology desired by many meteorologists.
Fuller
everyman wrote: 20 Jan 2024, 10:08
longmover wrote: 19 Jan 2024, 12:22 The away end gets very little sun, the damage has been done with the recent temperatures so even if it doesn't freeze overnight its still not warm enough or time enough to be playable.

Imagine the fall out if this was called off tomorrow morning, make the call early considering the opposition.
Perhaps we should take the roof off the away stand,it`s only helping them to make more noise and keeping the sun from warming the pitch :D

Funnily enough I was thinking that when they built it they should have spent a million more and put a sliding roof on it.
Alternatively spend a few more grand and double up on the frost sheets at that end….

Just been out in my back garden which faces north, I’m less than a mile from WR and it’s still frozen.
everyman
Alf wrote: 20 Jan 2024, 09:35
Broadway Brian wrote: 19 Jan 2024, 20:53 Darrell wanted this off
Given the option of risking injuries playing two vital games in four days or playing Bolton with a fully fit team on Tuesday, I wouldn’t blame him.
I don`t think D.C. wanted to play without a proper centre forward and risk a 0-0 game.
Ben3
Give the number 9 shirt to Bradders til the end of the season
asl
Confirmed on FB that the pitch is still frozen. Looks like Mal's amazing weather forecasting system is unable to predict the temperature 1cm below the surface in a patch of shadow.

Whodathunkit?
Malabus
asl wrote:Confirmed on FB that the pitch is still frozen. Looks like Mal's amazing weather forecasting system is unable to predict the temperature 1cm below the surface in a patch of shadow.

Whodathunkit?
Confirmed by whom. Do you believe everything written is fact!
The official #CTFC twitter account posted a picture this morning of the pitch surface that’s was two days old.
If we cannot play football in this mild weather, then the game is gone.
Anyone with a brain will find it difficult knowing that the Newport and Hereford games are still on!
I get the impression the official was emailed a photo of the pitch and wasn’t physically there. My opinion.
asl
Malabus wrote: 20 Jan 2024, 12:13Do you believe everything written is fact!
No, Mal. For example, I take everything you say with a shovelful of sodium chloride.

By the way, Swindon (closer to Cheltenham than Newport) is off.
Fuller
As a former Premier League side you’d have thought Swindon would have had undersoil heating?
Surprised no one’s mentioned that Gloucester City’s game is still on? Perhaps they’ve got undersoil heating……..
asl
Perhaps Gloucester don't have high stands putting areas of the pitch in shade?
asl
Oxford also off. Why were you comparing us with Newport, again?

Edit: And Bath.
Ihearye
Ben3 wrote: 20 Jan 2024, 10:04
Without giving away too many trade secrets, you’re not far off…a forecast is just that, a guess at the future. +/- 2 is amazingly good for a guess…the accuracy of the reality is to the nth degree
I would tend to agree if the forecast was a day or two in advance, but in the morning of the day in question I would hope for a more consistently accurate forecast. Anything weather forecast related I tend to take with a degree of scepticism,
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Fuller wrote: 20 Jan 2024, 12:27 As a former Premier League side you’d have thought Swindon would have had undersoil heating?
Surprised no one’s mentioned that Gloucester City’s game is still on? Perhaps they’ve got undersoil heating……..
Gloucester have an artificial pitch so can’t freeze or get waterlogged. Only thick snow can prevent games from being played.

One day the EFL will let teams do the same in the EFL.
Malabus
Pitch inspection 30 hours before kick off, only Cheltenham would do that, the most frustrating club to support.

Pitch inspection should have been based on todays conditions and weather forecast, not at 10:00 Friday morning.

Yes, I know Carlisle is a long way, but it’s tough luck. Maybe they should play closer to home. Hamilton Academical is only a hour up the road from them.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote: 20 Jan 2024, 12:48
Ben3 wrote: 20 Jan 2024, 10:04

I would tend to agree if the forecast was a day or two in advance, but in the morning of the day in question I would hope for a more consistently accurate forecast. Anything weather forecast related I tend to take with a degree of scepticism,
Ultimately it is modelling. It takes data not recorded in Cheltenham and tries to predict what will happen in Cheltenham.

A tiny patch of cloud blocking the sun in one street but not another one nearby can mean temperature differences of several degrees. Same is one area is windier than the other.

Best way to forecast for micro/local level is to look at the macro/prevailing data and use local knowledge.

E.g. if there is a low pressure front coming in from the West with rain then a) I can track local changes using my own weather station /barometer and b) I know which beaches, streets, hillsides will be more sheltered/exposed - temperatures and wind will be different at each.

Otherwise, if you rely on a forecast average for the wider Cheltenham area you will likely experience different conditions on the ground.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Malabus wrote: 20 Jan 2024, 12:51 Pitch inspection 30 hours before kick off, only Cheltenham would do that, the most frustrating club to support.

Pitch inspection should have been based on todays conditions and weather forecast, not at 10:00 Friday morning.

Yes, I know Carlisle is a long way, but it’s tough luck. Maybe they should play closer to home. Hamilton Academical is only a hour up the road from them.
It might take days for the pitch to thaw. And then it will be in a state.
paperboy
Stevenage v Barnsley postponed after first an 11.00am then 1.00pm inspection.

Unusually the Barnsley manager thought the pitch was OK.
Add into the mix that Stevenage apparently have Covid in their squad.

As usual supporters are well down the list of priorities.
Si Robin
asl wrote: 20 Jan 2024, 12:30 Perhaps Gloucester don't have high stands putting areas of the pitch in shade?
It's more likely the fact they have a 4g pitch.
Horteng
National league north Hereford have their game on.

Maybe we could ask for some tips on keeping frost out the ground when we have it for a couple of evenings?

I am not convinced our covers went down early enough……
ctfc-fan
Well maybe next time offer your time up free of charge to the club and the groundsman and show them how it’s done. I’m guessing you can show them your qualifications.
Garby74
I was livid when match was called off yesterday.
Been out training this morning with our team. The ground is still rock hard.

It was the right call unfortunatley