Robins Report Podcast

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Si Robin
That was just before we played them - we both completely forgot about the game in August 2022.
PittvillePundit
Again enjoyed the podcast but a disconnect is emerging.

Generally - happy that we can be competitive against anyone

Individual games - Oh, not them. Don't fancy our chances against THEM.

!!!
Si Robin
The Robins Report CTFC
@Robins_Report
NEW POD🚨

This week, Tom is joined by @MarkHalliwell1 & @SimonGardiner84 to discuss:

- A hard earned point
- A very poor performance
- A pitch not fit for purpose
- Two massive home games
- Predictions

UTT
#ctfc

https://open.spotify.com/episode/6H9qzF ... b99b044af2
Si Robin
The Robins Report CTFC
@Robins_Report
NEW POD🚨

This week, @OwenCTFC_ is joined by @MarkHalliwell1 & @SimonGardiner84 to discuss:

- Deflating results
- Clarke roulette
- Alarming accounts
- On the road again...

UTT
#ctfc

https://open.spotify.com/episode/1Itlei ... 49d66e477a
Horteng
Si Robin wrote: 07 Mar 2024, 20:42 The Robins Report CTFC
@Robins_Report
NEW POD🚨

This week, @OwenCTFC_ is joined by @MarkHalliwell1 & @SimonGardiner84 to discuss:

- Deflating results
- Clarke roulette
- Alarming accounts
- On the road again...

UTT
#ctfc

https://open.spotify.com/episode/1Itlei ... 49d66e477a
How things change..... A couple of weeks ago Si was asking DC how to do it. This week Si is telling DC how to do it :lol:

Good Pod
Malabus
Very interesting points on ground development.
On the football side of things we are doomed. We haven’t been out of the bottom four all season, why would the next 11 games be any different and if Taylor is out for the rest of the season then the task has got a lot harder.
Football is a funny old game and can surprise us all, but it ain’t looking that good.
Si Robin
The Robins Report CTFC
@Robins_Report
NEW POD🚨

- Late defeat
- Game management
- Still in our hands?
- On the road again...

UTT
#ctfc

https://open.spotify.com/episode/6IzODl ... b331ee4247
Si Robin
The Robins Report CTFC
@Robins_Report
NEW POD🚨

- Respectable result
- Key players for the run in
- Projects or playing style
- Taking stock

UTT
#ctfc

https://open.spotify.com/episode/7aYT6j ... fb6cb544e7
Si Robin
The Robins Report CTFC
@Robins_Report
🚨NEW POD🚨

This week, @OwenCTFC_ is joined by @SimonGardiner84, @Joedes87 & @JonPalmerSport to discuss:

- The final run in
- The finances
- The future of the squad
- The Big Easter Weekend

https://open.spotify.com/episode/04dkFe ... 89b7674be0
paperboy
Si Robin wrote: 26 Mar 2024, 19:19 The Robins Report CTFC
@Robins_Report
🚨NEW POD🚨

This week, @OwenCTFC_ is joined by @SimonGardiner84, @Joedes87 & @JonPalmerSport to discuss:

- The final run in
- The finances
- The future of the squad
- The Big Easter Weekend

https://open.spotify.com/episode/04dkFe ... 89b7674be0
Thanks guys, a good listen although I have to confess I didn't make it right to the end.
Should count towards my Duke of Edinburgh award though.😉
Jerry St Clair
The George Lloyd revelation from JP was pretty eye-opening. He was pretty definitive so must have some reliable intel.

We've gone from Lloydy being in the (seemingly perpetual) last chance saloon to "we can't keep hold of him" in no time at all. It's a mad game, football.
CS85
Quite amazing regarding Lloyd.
Spend years trying to bring him through, offer him a three year deal showing faith in him then he buggers off at the first sniff of interest :lol:
Robin
Very little loyalty in football, his work rate this season has been very good but you can't hide the fact he has only scored two goals all season. I would have liked to have kept him to compete for a spot in our front two but will be interested to see who takes a chance on him.
Si Robin
After the recording I did try to get more out of JP but he was having none of it.
Horteng
Not listened to the POD but if you are saying George Lloyd is off then good riddance. His goal scoring record is absolutely abysmal for a striker. The club have persevered and persevered with him and he simply hasn't lived up to expectation.
Si Robin
Given apparently bigger clubs are looking at him - I daresay some managers have a better opinion of him than you.
andgarod
Thank you for picking the bones out of the podcast
I do find it over long and only saying what is said in commentary
At least JP brings something new

I assume George LLoyd is off so a couple of thoughts
I agree with the last couple of posts poor goal return
We have offered him a new contract so will we get any comp or is he now over 24

Well next season strike force will be interesting

The main problem is can he be relied on to score goals in the next 9
He has no competition for his place - woops forgot Nuttall
longmover
Lloyd's harrying and pressing game is why he's caught the eye (not his goal scoring) and always thought he wouldn't be around too long with the way he's playing.
Si Robin
andgarod wrote: 27 Mar 2024, 11:38 Thank you for picking the bones out of the podcast
I do find it over long and only saying what is said in commentary
At least JP brings something new

I assume George LLoyd is off so a couple of thoughts
I agree with the last couple of posts poor goal return
We have offered him a new contract so will we get any comp or is he now over 24

Well next season strike force will be interesting

The main problem is can he be relied on to score goals in the next 9
He has no competition for his place - woops forgot Nuttall
He's 24 so will go on a free.
Horteng
Si Robin wrote: 27 Mar 2024, 08:35 Given apparently bigger clubs are looking at him - I daresay some managers have a better opinion of him than you.
Always have to get personal don't you Si :roll: :roll: :roll:
Si Robin
Where have I been personal?
Fuller
Just listened to the latest podcast and the insight, knowledge and views of Jon Palmer very welcome.
Interesting comments on needing a proper director of football and commercial manager.
Whether we stay up or not, it will no doubt be another summer of change at CTFC.
art vandalay
If Lloyd is off it surely raises the question of whether it‘s worth persevering with young players if they‘re not immediately ready to make the step up. The club have invested years in Lloyd‘s development with little in the way of return until this season (excluding goals) and then he‘s apparently off like a shot. That‘s p1ss poor from Lloyd IMO.
Horteng
art vandalay wrote: 27 Mar 2024, 21:50 If Lloyd is off it surely raises the question of whether it‘s worth persevering with young players if they‘re not immediately ready to make the step up. The club have invested years in Lloyd‘s development with little in the way of return until this season (excluding goals) and then he‘s apparently off like a shot. That‘s p1ss poor from Lloyd IMO.
I genuinely don't believe any other club would of given a player so much time without producing the goods in return. Strikers are judged on goals and GL's record is woeful..... And for all his apparent good work exc scoring goals its not like other players are free scoring when partnering Lloyd is it?!
Si Robin
I understand criticising his goalscoring record, but I'm not sure you can blame him for other players not scoring - I'd argue he and Matty Taylor had started off quite well together..

The thing with George is that because he's been around so long people think he should have been some great goalscorer - this is perpetuated by the fact he had a stellar youth career and scored loads of goals then. However, until this season, he has never been a regular starter for the club. Just checking his stats now and it's only in the last few games that his number of starts have overtaken the number of substitute appearances.

Michael Duff always had a mantra with players that if they were progressing then they'd be offered new deals. Lloyd's last deal was given to him when Duff was in charge and, whilst Mickey Moore would have been DOF, he would have given the final sign-off on it.

Now I'm not going to defend George's scoring record, it has been appalling this season, but there are plenty of forwards who haven't been great goalscorers but have had decent careers because of the other work they do. George has done literally everything but score this season and I'd rather a workhorse like him in the team than someone like Dan Nlundulu who barely moves a muscle. As I said above - the fact that bigger clubs are showing an interest in him must mean something.

As for him leaving - there is no loyalty in football anymore. If it was felt he wasn't progressing then George would have been let go ages ago. We only kept him on because he was of benefit to the club. Football is a short career and if he has a chance to go and earn a bit of bunce to set himself and his family up in the future then I wish him all the best.
Jerry St Clair
Quite Si. I don’t understand the abstract concept of footballer loyalty. Clubs aren’t unconditionally loyal to footballers so why should the reverse be true?
London Exile
Another good podcast chaps, it’s a weekly highlight for me these days so cheers for what you do in putting it together.
Was shocked at the Lloyd leaving bombshell JP gave us as I think he’s a terrific squad player. As others have said, his goalscoring record isn’t the greatest but his other attributes are.
I’m hoping JP has jumped the gun and DC can convince him to stay but if not, I wish him nothing but good luck except against the robins
Broadway Brian
Will listen during the long drive north today. UTMFR
Si Robin
The Robins Report CTFC
@Robins_Report
🚨NEW POD🚨

This week, @OwenCTFC_ is joined by @SimonGardiner84, @Joedes87 & @MarkHalliwell1 to discuss:

- 3 points won
- 1 point stolen
- 6 points up for grabs

https://open.spotify.com/episode/0REcnR ... 5H-Ngy8Yog

UTT
#ctfc
Warwickshire Robin
Another good pod gents although it did have the effect of raising my blood pressure back up by reminding me of the Easter Monday Refereeing Fiasco! Thanks also for the name check Si!

One thing that struck me when you were all talking about the players looking 'leggy' on Monday was that I don't think it is any coincidence that the two players you picked out as having particularly poor games were Curtis and Tom Pett. For all of the tinkering and rotating DC has done over his time with us these two seem to have played every minute they have been available and not been rotated at all. That coupled with the fact that they are the oldest members of the squad (I think?) this makes it somewhat inevitable that they might be on the weary side. Will be interesting to see how DC deals with those two in particular over the rest of this gruelling month.
longmover
interesting section on CTFC being generally screwed over by matchday officials (this season), the general consensus was that CTFC are pretty much on the receiving end of poor officiating and although there was 'no conspiracy theories' I don't think there was any explanation (from any guest) as to why CTFC seem to be punished when other teams aren't.

Would of been nice to hear some theories from the panel rather than a number of examples.
Si Robin
I don't think there is a reason - I think it's just a coincidence more than anything else.

With CTFC bias we will obviously feel more hard done by when things don't go our way and we don't tend to remember the dodgy decisions we do get. There will have been occasions when a player has gone down in our box and no foul was given, but we ignore that.

Interestingly, Dave from the pod referred the penalty decisions from Monday to his colleagues (he works as an analyst at a club - I forget which, but he was at York City earlier this season). The other analysts said the following (bear in mind no CTFC bias whatsoever):

- Their penalty was strong (in the case of giving it).
- Of our shouts, the only one we were likely to get was the Kinsella one - and that was a weak shout
- The Will Ferry chance near the end was massive

Now I don't agree with them on the second point, but I'm very much biased in my view - as much as I try to take my CTFC blinkers off.
Jerry St Clair
The precariousness of our situation also massively magnifies poor decisions. One of you alluded to that, maybe Mark, saying that if we were sat in mid table on 52 points, we might all be over Monday by now.

We aren't going to go down because of refereeing mistakes. We'll go down because didn't score a goal for nearly a quarter of the season.
Si Robin
Jerry St Clair wrote: 05 Apr 2024, 09:32 The precariousness of our situation also massively magnifies poor decisions. One of you alluded to that, maybe Mark, saying that if we were sat in mid table on 52 points, we might all be over Monday by now.

We aren't going to go down because of refereeing mistakes. We'll go down because didn't score a goal for nearly a quarter of the season.
Agree completely
Shade
Jerry St Clair wrote: 05 Apr 2024, 09:32
You say that, but if the penalty had been given and scored at Derby, Lloyd's onside goal at Bolton not ruled out, and at least one penalty given to us on Monday, we could be sat at least 5 points better off right now and feeling a lot more confident. Could very easily be the difference between staying up or not. Obviously, a million moments and decisions decide a season, not just several made by the officials, but they're the ones that stick out.