Open Letter to the Board

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

bcrobin
Dear David,

I am writing to you to express my deep concern at the recent fans forum and the way it was conducted and the messaging which came out of the meeting which I watched on live stream.

While I fully appreciate that the club are small in scale and are very much a selling club, what hit me was the lack of vision from yourself and the rest of the Board.

Setting out my concerns.

Firstly the setting for the meeting reeked of a pub darts team or village committee having a meeting with a tatty old bar table, have you or the media team even thought about the image this portrays in a branding exercise? At the very least how about some banners in the background with sponsors names on it, CTFC website address etc. The camera angle was also awful, my teenage son could have produced that better!

Moving onto the total and utter lack of strategy, any business will have short term goals and then a 5 year plan with clear goals and measures setting out how you know that you have reached that goal. From the meeting I took away that CTFC has neither, how do yo expect to deliver as a business (after all that is what the club are), without a clear strategy. I find it completely shocking that this is not in place. It appears Darren is also rattled by this and I would not be surprised if he walks at the end of the season due to your lack of vision (again this is not about money, its about mind set).

Then the conundrum of the new stand, Yes it is expensive and we need external investment to make it happen, there was no real evidence of your efforts on this one apart from the meetings with the same old same old stakeholders, how about being proactive and speaking to potential partners, hotel chains, infrastructure providers, house builders. You are to quick to blame the council. Please communicate why it is not possible to work with a partner and have you explored commercial options, there is demand for high quality office space and collaboration spaces, my company for example is struggling to find a provider of pop up space. Have you spoken to companies such as Regus?

Match day experience this lags behind a whole host of clubs, this does not have to cost a lot of money, for example meet and greets with none playing players or activities for people to do before the game, while the food this season is a huge improvement the wrap around is not there, for example after the game I will head into town, you should be looking at ways to engage with the fan base after the game and before, but the pounds into CTFC rather than weatherspoons.

These are my primary concerns, I hope you and the Board are listening to the fans as a large number have real concerns about the credibility of the Board of the Board in even keeping it’s current standing in football you have to run to keep up with the others, sprint to improve, just cantering along is simply not good enough, set out your strategy soon
Robin
So very well said!
Oldun
The content of this letter is totally uncalled for and highly offensive to a group of directors who are giving their very best for the club. I just hope that none of them take it personally enough to up and leave their roles at Whaddon Road.
The Chair was very clear what the plan is for the club; the board wants to see it established as a League One side. Given the unpredictability of football that is all that we can ask. There is a team not a million miles from here that had grand clearly stated plans for itself, including Championship football; it even had extra stars on its shirts........that went well!
Whinging about the room and the lack of background advertising etc is petty and in the extreme. Perhaps the writer could have turned up in his free time to improve that situation!
My open letter to the board says, "thank you for all you are doing", "keep up the good work" and when you find a rich benefactor we will still be here supporting.
Ironic that the writer didn't attend last night! It reminds me of some guy I heard about recently who reckons he's a supporter but who chose to watch the Grand National in a pub rather that support the team!
COYR
PS Big shout to the manager too. He gave up his evening despite having one or two other things on his mind. Well done Sir!
Ben3
The trouble with an 'open letter' is that people will read it.

What a load of absolute nonsense.

Pitiful nonsense :roll:
bcrobin
Oldun wrote: 19 Apr 2024, 17:35 The content of this letter is totally uncalled for and highly offensive to a group of directors who are giving their very best for the club. I just hope that none of them take it personally enough to up and leave their roles at Whaddon Road.
The Chair was very clear what the plan is for the club; the board wants to see it established as a League One side. Given the unpredictability of football that is all that we can ask. There is a team not a million miles from here that had grand clearly stated plans for itself, including Championship football; it even had extra stars on its shirts........that went well!
Whinging about the room and the lack of background advertising etc is petty and in the extreme. Perhaps the writer could have turned up in his free time to improve that situation!
My open letter to the board says, "thank you for all you are doing", "keep up the good work" and when you find a rich benefactor we will still be here supporting.
Ironic that the writer didn't attend last night! It reminds me of some guy I heard about recently who reckons he's a supporter but who chose to watch the Grand National in a pub rather that support the team!
COYR
PS Big shout to the manager too. He gave up his evening despite having one or two other things on his mind. Well done Sir!
We are all entitled to voice our views, the reason for me not being there is I am currently in the USA on a business trip so it was a little challenging to get back for the evening. Yes, the club Board are well intentioned, but things like the set up last night, the lack of vision, no where dod I say lets aim for the Championship with stars on the shirts, but some sort of laid out vision on the business side of the club is what is needed. The strategy could be we cant build a main stand but in 5 years we want to improve hospitality, this could be by building a separate building in the car park, but it was the total lack of ideas and vision, it seems like they want to pootle along. There are so many clubs over taking us and I don't see them being innovative. we are still non league in so many ways.

Just the set up of the meeting itself for example was just rubbish for what is a multi million pound business. If my company held a public forum in such a poor way heads would roll. It is 2024 not 1982. We need to move with the times Wilcox was a breath of fresh air and wanted to take the club fwd, this Board do not.
Ben3
We are all entitled to our views. But this does not make those views valid.

You are chatting s#!t mate, maybe stop?
ctfc-fan
I’ll pick you up on the new stand we so dearly need. Why would anyone invest £10m odd on a new stand at a stadium which sits on land which isn’t even owned by the club? It does not make commercial sense for an investor.

Also we have just invested in solar on the stadium which will reduce overheads and produce a small income at times when not in use. That’s forward thinking as was purchasing the training ground.
Ben3
ctfc-fan wrote: 19 Apr 2024, 18:40 I’ll pick you up on the new stand we so dearly need. Why would anyone invest £10m odd on a new stand at a stadium which sits on land which isn’t even owned by the club? It does not make commercial sense for an investor.

Also we have just invested in solar on the stadium which will reduce overheads and produce a small income at times when not in use. That’s forward thinking as was purchasing the training ground.
What? We so 'dearly need' a new stand?

And as if land ownership is the key issue here?

My ears are bursting with nonsense. Why do people think they can just say things and they become 'fact'? I blame bloody Wilson
bcrobin
Ben3 wrote: 19 Apr 2024, 18:14 We are all entitled to our views. But this does not make those views valid.

Ben,

So key questions you might be able to answer,

How to the Board plan to maximise the value of the Cheltenham brand?
In the next 5 years how are the club planning to engage with school age children to grow the future fan base? FGR fan ambassador scheme is a huge success for example
What is the clubs strategy for maximising the value from Seasons, i.e. it has a lot of space in the buildings, a bar etc. I have never seen the club look to generate income from this.
There are a number of significant businesses and employers in the Cheltenham area, there is limited evidence of any engagement with them. There should be a strategy in place to do this.

That is just a starter for ten, there are so many more items the club and business of its side should be looking at as part of a strategy and have performance metrics against, if you treat that professionally it will translate into growth off the pitch which will lead to more money for the playing squad.

All this is with the lens of what is realistic in terms of our size, but the level of ambition of the brand which is Cheltenham Town and its business side is shocking, if you get that right you grow revenue which in turn allows you to invest in the ground and in the playing squad.

The should be working with DC on the vision for the footballing side his body language (from what I could see on the awful camera angle) and comments were basically the club lacks any sort of strategy, other than we want to be in league one. But there is no substance to how we are going to achieve that other than sell a player or two. Thank is not a business strategy.

At present the club feels very non league if that off the pitch, you only have to look around so many non league clubs get the importance of brands, image etc, The blub just dont get it.
bcrobin
ctfc-fan wrote: 19 Apr 2024, 18:40 I’ll pick you up on the new stand we so dearly need. Why would anyone invest £10m odd on a new stand at a stadium which sits on land which isn’t even owned by the club? It does not make commercial sense for an investor.

It is a challenge, but if I recall correctly the lease is for well over 100 years so it is not as if they build a stand and hotel for example and 20 years later we are evicted. Also the council is our LL not some fly by night property developer.

Many multi milion pound developments are based on the land being leasehold from a council or large land owner and it is not a problem. I just don't belive the Board are really pushing it, for over 10 years we have the same old excuses, why not work with the Cheltenham Civic Trust type of organsiation to create a re generation vision for Cakebridge, Whaddon Road and The Social CLub with the ground at the heart, just like they have done for Cav House. It would generate more excitment about the what could be possible if we looked at all the council owned land. A high level vision is reasonbly cheap and would at least show some positive action, rather than, well we spoke to the council and nothing has changed.... A bit of proactivity would be nice.
Ben3
bcrobin wrote: 19 Apr 2024, 18:44
Ben3 wrote: 19 Apr 2024, 18:14 We are all entitled to our views. But this does not make those views valid.

Ben,

In the next 5 years how are the club planning to engage with school age children to grow the future fan base? FGR fan ambassador scheme is a huge success for example
What is the clubs strategy for maximising the value from Seasons, i.e. it has a lot of space in the buildings, a bar etc. I have never seen the club look to generate income from this.
There are a number of significant businesses and employers in the Cheltenham area, there is limited evidence of any engagement with them. There should be a strategy in place to do this.

That is just a starter for ten, there are so many more items the club and business of its side should be looking at as part of a strategy and have performance metrics against, if you treat that professionally it will translate into growth off the pitch which will lead to more money for the playing squad.

All this is with the lens of what is realistic in terms of our size, but the level of ambition of the brand which is Cheltenham Town and its business side is shocking, if you get that right you grow revenue which in turn allows you to invest in the ground and in the playing squad.

The should be working with DC on the vision for the footballing side his body language (from what I could see on the awful camera angle) and comments were basically the club lacks any sort of strategy, other than we want to be in league one. But there is no substance to how we are going to achieve that other than sell a player or two. Thank is not a business strategy.

At present the club feels very non league if that off the pitch, you only have to look around so many non league clubs get the importance of brands, image etc, The blub just dont get it.
Wow. Non-league was my upbringing. How do you compare this season to 1992-95? What's your frame of reference? Which non league team do you compare us to?

Good to compare us to FGR :lol:

ALWAYS BEWARE A NEW POSTER WITH EXTREME VIEWS
bcrobin
Ben3 wrote: 19 Apr 2024, 18:52

Ben,

Wow. Non-league was my upbringing. How do you compare this season to 1992-95? What's your frame of reference? Which non league team do you compare us to?

First game 1978 Ben, So I havemore grey hair and jumpers for goal posts. Season ticket holder for about 28 years.

And despite what you think of vince and FGR, they have created a brand and they are growing their support with excellent local schools engagement. They have sponsors from international companies . Yes they are rivals and football has gone wrong over the past few seasons, but they have a clear Brand and vison, what is Cheltenham Vison? What is our Brand? Please tell me this?
Last edited by bcrobin on 19 Apr 2024, 19:03, edited 1 time in total.
asl
Ben3 wrote: 19 Apr 2024, 18:43 What? We so 'dearly need' a new stand?
You might well be alone in thinking the existing main stand is fit for purpose - even amongst the board. I would respectfully suggest you stop "chatting sh1t" - but, better still, why not let another poster express their views without verbally abusing them just because you disagree?
Ben3
bcrobin wrote: 19 Apr 2024, 18:57

Ben,

First game 1978 Ben,

And despite what you think of vince and FRG, they have created a brand and they are grwoing their support with excellent local schools engagement. They have sponsors from international companies . Yes they are rivals and football has gone wrong over the past few seasons, but they have a clear Brand and vison, what is Cheltenham Vison? What is our Brand? Please tell me this?
Ok mate. Have a good one 👍
Si Robin
bcrobin wrote: 19 Apr 2024, 18:57

Ben,

First game 1978 Ben, So I havemore grey hair and jumpers for goal posts. Season ticket holder for about 28 years.

And despite what you think of vince and FGR, they have created a brand and they are growing their support with excellent local schools engagement. They have sponsors from international companies . Yes they are rivals and football has gone wrong over the past few seasons, but they have a clear Brand and vison, what is Cheltenham Vison? What is our Brand? Please tell me this?
I'm not so sure on this point to be honest - unless you're classing foreigners who follow them on Twitter as support.

What Vince has done is alienate the traditional FGR fans - look what Colin Peake posted on their forum a couple of weeks back about how he was treated. Given that, without his involvement, they would have ended up in the the Conference South many years back, he should be treated as a God there. DV hasn't made them a brand, he's used them to publicise his own brand. They are an advertising tool. The football is a side-show related to what they are really about.

They may have enjoyed a run to the Football League, but it wasn't and isn't sustainable. The moment he stops propping them up they become another Rushden & Diamonds, unless they can get rid of the stupidly high wages immediately.

There is a fine line between wanting investment and giving up your morals and values to be that little bit richer. I'm probably in the minority, but I like that we're a little bit non-league. I like that we've got where we have predominantly off our own backs. We haven't been financially doped at all, though we have been well backed at times (Simon Keswick helping with the Wymans and Whadon Road Stands). And through all that, we're still Cheltenham Town Football Club.
bigdavejambo
bcrobin wrote: 19 Apr 2024, 17:54
Oldun wrote: 19 Apr 2024, 17:35 The content of this letter is totally uncalled for and highly offensive to a group of directors who are giving their very best for the club. I just hope that none of them take it personally enough to up and leave their roles at Whaddon Road.
COYR
We are all entitled to voice our views, the reason for me not being there is I am currently in the USA on a business trip so it was a little challenging to get back for the evening. Yes, the club Board are well intentioned, but things like the set up last night, the lack of vision, no where dod I say lets aim for the Championship with stars on the shirts, but some sort of laid out vision on the business side of the club is what is needed. The strategy could be we cant build a main stand but in 5 years we want to improve hospitality, this could be by building a separate building in the car park, but it was the total lack of ideas and vision, it seems like they want to pootle along. There are so many clubs over taking us and I don't see them being innovative. we are still non league in so many ways.

Just the set up of the meeting itself for example was just rubbish for what is a multi million pound business. If my company held a public forum in such a poor way heads would roll. It is 2024 not 1982. We need to move with the times Wilcox was a breath of fresh air and wanted to take the club fwd, this Board do not.

Why did Wilcox leave?
CS85
bigdavejambo wrote: 19 Apr 2024, 20:26
bcrobin wrote: 19 Apr 2024, 17:54
COYR

Why did Wilcox leave?
I think the question is,why was he pushed out?.
Si Robin
He wanted to go all out in League One - but he wanted to do it without investing any money himself. He said he was going to invest £100k but the money never materialised.

The bloke was a snake oil salesman, he got the support of a lot of people by buying drinks in the Nest and generally spouting balls. When pushed out of the club he told people that West Brom would never deal with us again because they didn't like how he was treated - we got Caleb Taylor the following season.
Ihearye
asl wrote: 19 Apr 2024, 19:00
You might well be alone in thinking the existing main stand is fit for purpose - even amongst the board. I would respectfully suggest you stop "chatting sh1t" - but, better still, why not let another poster express their views without verbally abusing them just because you disagree?
End of the school week, no homework to do so bless him he goes fishing. However I do admire your attribute of 'thinking. If only
Broadway Brian
Ihearye wrote:
asl wrote: 19 Apr 2024, 19:00
End of the school week, no homework to do so bless him he goes fishing. However I do admire your attribute of 'thinking. If only
I smell belittling afoot
Cheltborn
Oldun wrote: 19 Apr 2024, 17:35 The Chair was very clear what the plan is for the club; the board wants to see it established as a League One side.
That's not a plan, it's an ambition. The plan is how we do that. How we increase supporter numbers, how we bring in more revenue and how we afford the League 1 football we currently can't afford without selling a £500k player each year.

The board should be going out of its way to find new investors to take the club forward. Without that we will stagnate and slowly run out of money completely. I don't think its unreasonable for supporters to want there to be a plan and for the chairman to admit we dont have or need one is quite frankly insane.
Warwickshire Robin
One thing that struck me today thinking about improving income was that I would imagine two of the bigger sponsorship incomes would be the shirt front and kit manufacturer

We have had Errea and Mira both for over 20 years now if I remember correctly. Is this because they constantly outbid everyone else come contract renewal time? There is no one else interested? Or there is no bid process and the status quo accepted?

Wouldnt have thought keeping the same companies this long maximises our potential but maybe it does?
RS1978
Robin wrote: 19 Apr 2024, 16:09 So very well said!
Also have to add BC/Si that we are in a brilliant position with experienced heads in DC and IB - surely pick their brains on putting together a plan to get to our goal of being an established, consistent L1 club? DC has managed two decent League One teams in Vale and Bristol R, so why not ask for his expectations as an established L1 manager and base our plans around that?
Si Robin
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 20 Apr 2024, 17:58 One thing that struck me today thinking about improving income was that I would imagine two of the bigger sponsorship incomes would be the shirt front and kit manufacturer

We have had Errea and Mira both for over 20 years now if I remember correctly. Is this because they constantly outbid everyone else come contract renewal time? There is no one else interested? Or there is no bid process and the status quo accepted?

Wouldnt have thought keeping the same companies this long maximises our potential but maybe it does?
Mira is 16 years. Errea is now 27 years.

I'm sure I remember back some time that the talk is that Errea are consistently the best deal for the club. I can't talk for Mira, but given the size of the company they are I think they're a decent sponsor to have.
Jerry St Clair
The Mira sponsorship strikes me as an epic act of altruism by them. No other comparable companies would have any interest in being our shirt sponsor.
Si Robin
Si Robin wrote: 19 Apr 2024, 20:38 He wanted to go all out in League One - but he wanted to do it without investing any money himself. He said he was going to invest £100k but the money never materialised.

The bloke was a snake oil salesman, he got the support of a lot of people by buying drinks in the Nest and generally spouting balls. When pushed out of the club he told people that West Brom would never deal with us again because they didn't like how he was treated - we got Caleb Taylor the following season.
Slight clarification on this - he apparently promised to invest £75k a year but never actually invested anything.
Robin
I heard Andy Wilcox businesses were struggling hence the lack of cash investment. Snake oil salesman or not we had someone who had a connection with the fans which our current chairman does not. That might not be the most important thing but it can really matter in difficult times.
ctfc-fan
Robin wrote:I heard Andy Wilcox businesses were struggling hence the lack of cash investment. Snake oil salesman or not we had someone who had a connection with the fans which our current chairman does not. That might not be the most important thing but it can really matter in difficult times.
So he ‘had a connection to the fans’ but no money and possibly not so much a suitable employment qualifications as a solicitor? Sounds good…
Robin
So having a qualified solicitor who lots of fans feel isn't the right fit for the role is better then :roll: Bloxham also has no money and no connection with fans. I want this club in the best possible hands and I don't believe that's currently the case.
Si Robin
I don't understand why Bloxham is getting so much heat. He was poor on Thursday, no doubt about that, but he isn't a dictator and all decisions by the board are done on votes.

Why is it suddenly Bloxham that's suddenly the bad guy and not, say, Murry Toms or Clive Gowing, or David Beesley, or Paul Bence?

The clamour for Wilcox again is a clamour for something the club can't and won't do. Spend money it doesn't have chasing a dream its unlikely to reach. He had a connection with some fans - he had no connection with me. Read any of his interviews as chairman, if he was made of chocolate he'd eat himself.
horlickfanclub
Robin wrote: 21 Apr 2024, 08:58 So having a qualified solicitor who lots of fans feel isn't the right fit for the role is better then :roll: Bloxham also has no money and no connection with fans. I want this club in the best possible hands and I don't believe that's currently the case.
"Lots of fans"? Have you done a survey ? On another thread you rightly challenge the lack of respect shown to the Manager yet here you show no respect to the Board. How do you know how much money the Chairman has? What he he does with it is his own business as what you do with yours is your own.
horlickfanclub
Si Robin wrote: 21 Apr 2024, 09:27 I don't understand why Bloxham is getting so much heat. He was poor on Thursday, no doubt about that, but he isn't a dictator and all decisions by the board are done on votes.

Why is it suddenly Bloxham that's suddenly the bad guy and not, say, Murry Toms or Clive Gowing, or David Beesley, or Paul Bence?

The clamour for Wilcox again is a clamour for something the club can't and won't do. Spend money it doesn't have chasing a dream its unlikely to reach. He had a connection with some fans - he had no connection with me. Read any of his interviews as chairman, if he was made of chocolate he'd eat himself.
CS85
Absolutely incredible how this club is run despite being an FL side for 25 years :lol:
Si Robin
What's incredible is how everyone flip flops from one extreme to the other at the drop of a hat. It's been run the same way for decades, as Paul Baker said on the Trust podcast - no outright owner, no one who can determine the fate of the club on their own, etc...

In that time we've seen more success than we could dare to have dreamed of. There's been stumbles along the way, but in my 30 years following this club, I'd say it's been a lot more ups than downs. I speak to a lot of people who followed this club before I did and they all say, almost to a man, that they never dreamed of us being in the Football League, let alone in the 3rd tier.

When we're doing well, we're the perfect example of how a club should be run. When we're struggling, we've the worst set up in the World and are non-league off the pitch.

I've said it many times before - in this social media age everything has to be black and white. There are so many layers of grey though. How the club is set up works for us. It's not infallible and, of course, there can and should be improvements. But I'd rather our set up than a Dale Vince coming in and changing the club's identity because he's able to flash a bit of cash.
robinsrule
Rather than blaming the board or the manager or the players, why don’t we look at ourselves? And by that I mean the Cheltenham Town fanbase. If we had 6,000 home fans instead of 4,000 we would have a far bigger budget to be competitive at this level. The board recognise and understand that we could sign Messi and give away free tickets and we still wouldn’t be able to fill the stadium.

Yes, we need a new main stand and more seats for the big matches, but a swathe of empty seats yesterday shows the apathy that the Cheltenham public has towards us being relegated.

I agree that the board could be more proactive in the community in terms of trying to attract kids in particular. But the size of our fanbase has been stagnant for years - we will never be able to match the attendances of much smaller places like Mansfield, Wrexham or Wycombe.

The board do their best to keep us afloat at this level. We will always have to sell our assets (though I will forever believe that we were robbed in the Alfie May sale) and struggle at this level. This is why I keep saying that I believe the board will be happy to see us back in League 2 where will we find it easier to balance the books.

After 8 seasons at this level it never gets easier and nobody seems to be able to find a solution.