Cheltenham Town v Peterborough United

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Shade
Now there is still a possibility it's only just hit home that Burton and Cambridge are playing two of the three already relegated teams :lol:
duckers
We've already lost to one of the relegated sides in a must win game.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote: 23 Apr 2024, 21:14 Now there is still a possibility it's only just hit home that Burton and Cambridge are playing two of the three already relegated teams :lol:
Look what happened when we played the first relegated team
QED
Based on the last few weeks… Nuttall with a good preseason behind him could be a real player
asl
Any "sack the board" chants tonight, then...?
ctfc-fan
asl wrote:Any "sack the board" chants tonight, then...?
Someone had a good go at them on the radio. Be careful what you wish for….
Garby74
Thought I heard Ben3 chanting sack DC.....

Oops sorry he wasn't there.....but a pitterful turnout by the fans that did turn out.
Wellwisher
robinsrule wrote: 23 Apr 2024, 20:29 Also, didn’t Peterborough sell 1000 tickets? So it seems that the Chelt fans had given up before tonight….
According to GloucsLive, Posh took 309 fans + 3,564 home fans = 3,873.
Herbie53
Garby74 wrote: 23 Apr 2024, 21:55 Thought I heard Ben3 chanting sack DC.....

Oops sorry he wasn't there.....but a pitterful turnout by the fans that did turn out.
Surely pitiful by the one's that didn't turn out, not the ones that did?!
Ben3
The way the 'fans' have treated the club in the last two weeks is shameful. Nonsense 'open letters' to the board; immature boo-hooing about 'lack of plans'; calling DC 'tinker man'; no recognition of our green awards. It's offensive and classless and I think this town does not deserve such a brilliant football club.

(And yes, I'll still be saying that if we go down on Saturday. Amazing achievement by all to be here doing what we are.)

Joe nutall for PM
Last edited by Ben3 on 23 Apr 2024, 23:20, edited 1 time in total.
robinsrule
Wellwisher wrote: 23 Apr 2024, 21:57
robinsrule wrote: 23 Apr 2024, 20:29 Also, didn’t Peterborough sell 1000 tickets? So it seems that the Chelt fans had given up before tonight….
According to GloucsLive, Posh took 309 fans + 3,564 home fans = 3,873.
Fair enough, pretty poor show by them although I know there was not much riding on the result. I assumed they were bringing more because of the chat about potentially giving them some of the Colin Farmer. I wonder how many well take to Stevenage though I suppose it doesn’t matter as long as results go our way.
Ihearye
Enjoyed that. You would think we had more shots on target last night than we have had for the last 10 games. Big Joe is like a man transformed. Kinsella had a good second half keeping their speed kings under control. Very unlucky not to score more but at least we were having a go.
Benhall-Robin
I was told on Saturday that they had sold 300 in advance sales.
Robin
Ben3 wrote: 23 Apr 2024, 20:22 Cambridge are winning

3,500 home fans - utterly pitiful. This town doesn't deserve this great set of lads
Lowest home crowd for a long time fans have given up after recent results but some optimism going into the last game should see a decent away following Saturday.
longmover
The Cambridge Utd forum is an interesting read, they want the EFL to look into the Peterborough team selection.

tbf if there's a chance of you getting relegated then its not down to one game that Cambridge aren't even competing in.
CTFCfan99
longmover wrote: 24 Apr 2024, 08:44 The Cambridge Utd forum is an interesting read, they want the EFL to look into the Peterborough team selection.

tbf if there's a chance of you getting relegated then its not down to one game that Cambridge aren't even competing in.
They shouldn't have conceded a penalty late on last night and they'd be fine.

Don't give a s#!t tbh, we've had more than our fair share of bad luck this season.
asl
longmover wrote: 24 Apr 2024, 08:44 The Cambridge Utd forum is an interesting read, they want the EFL to look into the Peterborough team selection.
There was similar on the Burton board. A few agreed, but the majority told him to stop being ridiculous and Posh fielding an under-strength team isn't the reason why they're not yet safe.
longmover
tbf to POSH they came into the game in the second half and dominated us, if they had managed to score I reckon we would have fallen apart.
Robin
longmover wrote: 24 Apr 2024, 09:10 tbf to POSH they came into the game in the second half and dominated us, if they had managed to score I reckon we would have fallen apart.
I can't agree with that they had two shots on target that I recall. They certainly improved in the last thirty minutes but we also sat back and didn't press. Domination is what we did to them in the first sixty minutes when we should have scored a lot more than two goals. I do agree though had they got one it would have got very nervous on the terraces.
everyman
Robin wrote: 24 Apr 2024, 09:37
longmover wrote: 24 Apr 2024, 09:10 tbf to POSH they came into the game in the second half and dominated us, if they had managed to score I reckon we would have fallen apart.
I can't agree with that they had two shots on target that I recall. They certainly improved in the last thirty minutes but we also sat back and didn't press. Domination is what we did to them in the first sixty minutes when we should have scored a lot more than two goals. I do agree though had they got one it would have got very nervous on the terraces.
We will need some physically strong athletic players next season who are capable of playing for 90 min`s.
everyman
everyman wrote: 24 Apr 2024, 10:10
Robin wrote: 24 Apr 2024, 09:37
We will need some physically strong athletic players next season who are capable of playing for 90 min`s.
Power and pace !!
Robin
It's definitely lacking and very noticeable how our midfield has improved when it's Bonds/Pett rather than Pett/Kinsella. Would love to see us add big powerful and pacy forward (similar to Jones for Posh) who can give us an outlet and let us play on the counter attack in the summer no matter which league we are in.
CTFCfan99
Robin wrote: 24 Apr 2024, 11:17 It's definitely lacking and very noticeable how our midfield has improved when it's Bonds/Pett rather than Pett/Kinsella. Would love to see us add big powerful and pacy forward (similar to Jones for Posh) who can give us an outlet and let us play on the counter attack in the summer no matter which league we are in.
Agree with this, thought Bonds was excellent and Pett seems to have benefitted from a couple of weeks off.

Imagine Thomas one side and someone like Jones the other with Taylor down the middle. Would be the new Mohamed-McGlashan-Duffy.
longmover
Robin wrote: 24 Apr 2024, 11:17 It's definitely lacking and very noticeable how our midfield has improved when it's Bonds/Pett rather than Pett/Kinsella. Would love to see us add big powerful and pacy forward (similar to Jones for Posh) who can give us an outlet and let us play on the counter attack in the summer no matter which league we are in.
With our budget expect a slightly more mobile Joe Nuttall
Ihearye
longmover wrote: 24 Apr 2024, 14:08
Would be interesting to see how far he could develop with the next pre season under his belt. After all, within two games he was winning most headers and flick ons!
Jim
Ihearye wrote: 24 Apr 2024, 14:58
Would be interesting to see how far he could develop with the next pre season under his belt. After all, within two games he was winning most headers and flick ons!
I'd keep him on if we can, but it's been mentioned elsewhere that he's paid more than we can afford at Oldham, so he's probably out of our price range. I think he's looked a real asset last couple of games, with further room to improve you'd expect. If Oldham were willing to get him off their wage bill for nothing and he agrees to a pay cut i'd like to see him stick around, however probably not as our top earner...!
Fuller
CTFCfan99 wrote: 24 Apr 2024, 13:17
Agree with this, thought Bonds was excellent and Pett seems to have benefitted from a couple of weeks off.

Imagine Thomas one side and someone like Jones the other with Taylor down the middle. Would be the new Mohamed-McGlashan-Duffy.
Except rather than Duffy it was usually Spencer (not Damian, the other one) or Harrod.
longmover
he's just slow, a number of balls were played to him that he just got nowhere near (but would expect a league one player to get remotely close to) and just gives up, I should expect for a defender he's pretty easy to read.
Shade
Jim wrote: 24 Apr 2024, 15:32

I'd keep him on if we can, but it's been mentioned elsewhere that he's paid more than we can afford at Oldham, so he's probably out of our price range. I think he's looked a real asset last couple of games, with further room to improve you'd expect. If Oldham were willing to get him off their wage bill for nothing and he agrees to a pay cut i'd like to see him stick around, however probably not as our top earner...!
Is that he earns more at Oldham than we could pay him this season/from end of January, or would we be able to afford his wages if he's part of the initial budget plans in the summer when we only have about 7 or 8 other players already on board? I've no idea what he's earning at Oldham.
Robin
I'm not Nuttall bashing but we need a more mobile physical presence. Someone like Odejayi could do for us in the past it's the one thing we really lack because Keena and Taylor don't offer that at all.
HamTown
Mobile physical presence? Sounds like Rob Street. He'll have had half a year in the gym strength training since we last saw him too
Garby74
Big powerful old fashion target man.
Transformed in 5 games.
Bring it on.

Very happy with his rapid improvement.

ROI better than 1 in 40!
Robin
There is a player called Josh Stokes at Bristol City (signed from Aldershot and loaned back) that could be one for us to keep an eye on for next season.
Jim
Robin wrote: 25 Apr 2024, 06:55 There is a player called Josh Stokes at Bristol City (signed from Aldershot and loaned back) that could be one for us to keep an eye on for next season.
Wasn't he pretty much the hottest property in Non-league this season? I remember hearing he's a real prospect and Bristol City paid good money for him... Maybe if they want to loan him out higher up and we're still in L1 but feels unlikely to me.
Jim
Shade wrote: 24 Apr 2024, 16:58
Jim wrote: 24 Apr 2024, 15:32
Is that he earns more at Oldham than we could pay him this season/from end of January, or would we be able to afford his wages if he's part of the initial budget plans in the summer when we only have about 7 or 8 other players already on board? I've no idea what he's earning at Oldham.
I don't know any figures, but I got the impression his wage at Oldham is considerably more than our top earners are reported to be getting. Their fans would drive him here and chip in if their social media comments are anything to go by.