Old boys to Inverness CT

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

QED
Harry Hooman and Marley Watkins have both signed for Inverness Caledonian Thistle.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Super Cally unrealistic as Watkins is atrocious.
Cheltenhamshire10
interesting.... hope they get game time and we can see that the SPL is worse than League 2!
Uppy
Crazy. Is Hayes still there?
Circa 1887
That says everything you need to know about Scottish football!
Hubert Parry
Steve MacLean is a regular too. The standard, with a few exceptions, is atrocious.
MarkHalliwell
Hayes is at Aberdeen.
Uppy
Myrie-Williams looked decent in his time, but Thornhill didn't do much.
Malabus
Marley Watkins told the Shed media that he wanted to move closer to Wales.
Nesty
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Super Cally unrealistic as Watkins is atrocious.
LOL !!
THECHOIRBOY
Inverness really are a team of Ex L2 and Conference type players!

I think add to those mentioned they also have our ex target Gary Warren, ex Northampton Billy McKay (who did very little at at NTFC), SImon King to name a few.

Good luck to them - they probably will get game time and anything could happen!
leohoenig
I refer you to the opening paragraph of my comments just a couple of months ago

http://www.robinsnestforum.co.uk/viewto ... =3&t=13111" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If anyone on here happened to see either St. Mirren v Celtic last Sunday, or Inverness Caledonian Thistle v St. Johnstone last night on Sky, then the chances are you changed channels before the end. I went to both games, allowing me to complete the Scottish Premier League, and I was surprised at how far down the Scottish game has dropped. I doubt if these teams could compete for honours in Football League-2, while if the Celtic display at St. Mirren is typical of their output this season, they had better not join the Football League Championship, as they would be relegation fodder.
Laurence
Worth a reminder that ICT finished fourth in the SPL last season. Fourth! No wonder Scotland are already out of the 2014 World Cup.
Judge_Dreddful
I SO wish there was a 'round of applause' smiley I could use for this comment - bravo, sir, bravo! :D
goalpost
Living up here in Scotland its painful watching any football this side of the border. You might just as well go down to the local park and watch a game for free.

What you guys down south may not realise though is that there's no money at all in Scottish football, the Scottish FA have just signed a new deal with Sky for tv rights, but this is an absolute pittance compared with the amount of sky pay out in premiership fees and also football league payments.

Even the better players in the top teams up here are signing for lower level teams in England, Dundee United's Johnny Russell for example is probably going to sign for Derby County. The standard of Scottish player is very poor because there has been a large influx of cheap foreign imports and I believe it will only get worse.

What you do have to admire though is that a team like St Johnstone whose average gate last season was 3,712 actually finished 3rd in the premier league, which on their budget is an amazing achievement.

Scottish Premier League Attendances http://espnfc.com/stats/attendance/_/le ... ue?cc=5739" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As for Hooman, Watkins & the rest of the new signings, I hope they realise how cold it gets up in the Highlands of Scotland, but also a wonderful part of the world.
Shade
And yet Scotland beat 4th-in-the-world ranked Croatia 1-0 on Friday night. Although Croatia were pretty tame. Something like 15 shots and not one on target to Scotland's 4 shots with 1 on target.
goalpost
Shade wrote:And yet Scotland beat 4th-in-the-world ranked Croatia 1-0 on Friday night. Although Croatia were pretty tame. Something like 15 shots and not one on target to Scotland's 4 shots with 1 on target.
That's called motivation and also typical Scotland, the same result could happen at Wembley in August if England think all they have to do is turn up, like Croatia did the other night.
baggy89
Judge_Dreddful wrote:
I SO wish there was a 'round of applause' smiley I could use for this comment - bravo, sir, bravo! :D
Oh aye the bastardization of a Sun headline is definitely worthy of applause.

I'd expect Butcher will get the maximum possible out of Hooman and Watkins. Despite him being a former Hun (RIP), I've got a lot of time for Butcher. He signs players for specific positions within a set system and plays them there, rather than buying players then trying to fit them into a system. This, in my opinion, helps his teams and the those that are part of them achieve success. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if both ended up back in England at L1 level or above. In the meantime they'll be getting paid a pittance, meaning Caley can continue to operate at a profit.
51/84
Shade wrote:And yet Scotland beat 4th-in-the-world ranked Croatia 1-0 on Friday night. Although Croatia were pretty tame. Something like 15 shots and not one on target to Scotland's 4 shots with 1 on target.
Dont believe all you read shade
Crotia had at least 2 on target one McGregor saved with his feet, the other was straight at him, but the Scottish team did score with their only chance. Something that the Robins do not do

Duffy must be aiming top 3 in the SPL
Shade
51/84 wrote:
Dont believe all you read shade
Crotia had at least 2 on target one McGregor saved with his feet, the other was straight at him, but the Scottish team did score with their only chance. Something that the Robins do not do

Duffy must be aiming top 3 in the SPL
I watched it Live on ESPN. The stats I was trying to remember were with about 10-15mins left.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
CTFC would be top 5 in the Croatian league.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
baggy89 wrote:
Judge_Dreddful wrote:
Oh aye the bastardization of a Sun headline is definitely worthy of applause.

I'd expect Butcher will get the maximum possible out of Hooman and Watkins. Despite him being a former Hun (RIP), I've got a lot of time for Butcher. He signs players for specific positions within a set system and plays them there, rather than buying players then trying to fit them into a system. This, in my opinion, helps his teams and the those that are part of them achieve success. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if both ended up back in England at L1 level or above. In the meantime they'll be getting paid a pittance, meaning Caley can continue to operate at a profit.
Still one of my favourite Tabloid headlines ever along with Gotcha.
leohoenig
Without doubt, if Cheltenham could maintain playing budget, they could be in the top five in Croatia. Only two Croatian clubs (Hadjuk Split and Rijeka) get a better average crowd than we do, the champions, Dinamo Zagreb average only 3063 and rely on outside finance. Indeed the finance for Dinamo is so good that Lokimotiva Zagreb (aka Dinamo reserves) finished second in the league with an average crowd of 582.

Beyond this quartet, no Croatian team (current squad) could survive in League-2.

This of course is nothing to do with the National Squad which contains two Dinamo players, the other nine come from 8 teams (two from Wolfsburg) in six countries (Germany, Ukraine, Russia, Greece, Spain and Italy)

Of course, the Scots only started with one Scottish League Player, (I'm using Wikipedia, so sorry if I have missed a transfer), Leigh Griffiths of Hibs - the goalkeeper plays in Turkey, and Alan Hutton for Mallorca, the rest are in England with Norwich being the biggest contributor.

There is actually, some great football in Scotland - so long as you like non-League footy and don't want to pretend it is something else. I have seen Junior games the last two weekends and these have been a joy to watch, (the Scots use the name Junior for some of their best non-League, semi-professional football). Teams like Auckinleck Talbot are far superior to those in the bottom division of the Scottish League
Chelt Luke in Glos
Circa 1887 wrote:That says everything you need to know about Scottish football!
Beat me to it... :lol:
Uppy
Scottish football needs a trapdoor in division 3. There are junior teams who could easily survive in the league and are relatively well supported.
leohoenig
Uppy wrote:Scottish football needs a trapdoor in division 3. There are junior teams who could easily survive in the league and are relatively well supported.
They are finally working on it.
Uppy
It's arguably the worst "model" in football.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Speaking of junior teams and the like, surely it's about time some of the Trialist family got international caps. B Trialist was always overshadowed by his alphabetically advanced brother i felt.
51/84
but not as good as a n other or a newman
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Not seen them on soccer saturday i'm afraid so couldn't comment on how their goal record compares.