trialists and singings

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

51/84
I hope we have a few more players that we are trying to sign.
As to trialists i think there are a number of reasons to have a look

1 player coming back from long term injury summerfield carter type
2 a training squad of 24 is ideal
3 looking at a few youngsters for tomorrow or to make up a reserve team

other than the reasons above I can see no other reason to have trialists in.
MY and NH should know what they want for 1st team and go and get them
MarkHalliwell
We won't have 24 players. Listen to NH's interview and that will tell you we go for quality not quantity.
Last season we had 18-20 of our own players plus a couple of loans, so I can't see us having more than that.
I reckon 4/5 more players and a loan to come in.
51/84
I know Mark that is the point I am trying to make
a training squad of 24 is ideal - I did not say a playing squad, hence we bring in trialists

out of the 4 or 5 to come in how many will come from trialists ? - none in my opinion although there may be someone who falls into category 1 above and perhaps 1 who is cover like hooman or graham cover but not expected to play
MarkHalliwell
Sorry, yes training squad of 24. This young lad Rees must be rated for us to get him in so quickly.
First friendly we usually field two different XIs in each half, so we'd need at least 22 by July 9...!
Robin
But surely that is the thing we need a minimum of twenty players for the season (ideally not including short term loans) that means we need eight players. Not all of those will be first teamers like Hanks/Williams who may have to settle for the occasional bench appearence and loan out.
Peter Griffin
When playing Football Manager one of the aspects I enjoy most is identify the problem areas of the squad and working out what sort of players I need. In Cheltenham's case, it's clear we need the following:

A back up goalkeeper (should Roberts leave)
Cover at centre back.
A central midfielder with good passing ability, a technical player. We have the "tough guys" in Taylor and Penn, and now need a new Pack who will create stuff.
A left winger (Courtney Cameron is still available incidentally)
I think two strikers. We currently have one tall target man type in Harrison and a little wily fox in the box type in Cureton. I think we need a pacy striker, and another power player in the Howe/Akinfenwa mould.
MarkHalliwell
Back up goalkeeper
Two 'passing' midfielders
Left winger
Striker
51/84
add to your list mark cover cb/lb
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
MarkHalliwell wrote:Sorry, yes training squad of 24. This young lad Rees must be rated for us to get him in so quickly.
First friendly we usually field two different XIs in each half, so we'd need at least 22 by July 9...!
I said the same earlier this week and you told me it didn't matter as the season is 6 or more weeks away.
Fuller
Singings when you're winnings .....

Any signings today ?
Nesty
No need to panic
everyman
Peter Griffin wrote:When playing Football Manager one of the aspects I enjoy most is identify the problem areas of the squad and working out what sort of players I need. In Cheltenham's case, it's clear we need the following:

Cover at centre back.
A central midfielder with good passing ability, a technical player. We have the "tough guys" in Taylor and Penn, and now need a new Pack who will create stuff.
I think two strikers. We currently have one tall target man type in Harrison and a little wily fox in the box type in Cureton. I think we need a pacy striker, and another power player in the Howe/Akinfenwa mould.
You wrote about a new Pack who will create stuff,the trouble was that Pack was used in a defensive midfield role similar to that Sergio Busquets plays for Barca`.The problem was that we didn`t have a Iniesta or xavi to create ?
Uppy
I think that might be an area that Yates is looking to improve, hence Grimes.
Malabus
everyman wrote:
Peter Griffin wrote:When playing Football Manager one of the aspects I enjoy most is identify the problem areas of the squad and working out what sort of players I need. In Cheltenham's case, it's clear we need the following:

Cover at centre back.
You wrote about a new Pack who will create stuff,the trouble was that Pack was used in a defensive midfield role similar to that Sergio Busquets plays for Barca`.The problem was that we didn`t have a Iniesta or xavi to create ?
We need another Finnigan
Uppy
I don't think that is what we need necessarily. Penn isn't dissimilar.
Pie
Agree with the above. Penn does get a lot of credit for getting stuck in and doing the nitty-gritty, however people seem to forget he also gets forward.
A few times this past season he has got forward as either gone down the wing and crosses the ball into the box - something Jermaine fails to do on a regular basis, or if in the middle of the field he isn't afraid to have a shot on goal.
Why is it that players nowadays seem scared to take a chance from outside the box. Last season Norwood, and Gutteridge both scoresheet crackers and bother were well outside the box.
Yes ok they will have fans on their back about "oh he should have passed it" etc but if the shot is on target then there is every chance of it going in the net.
baggy89
Be interesting to see what a midfield three of Taylor, Penn, and Deering would be like. As Pie says Penn's a "proper" midfielder i.e. he comes from a time before this nonsense of attacking and defensive midfielders, but while we have a defensive midfielder and an attacking midfielder...

It could be an interesting experiment to play 3-5-2

-----------S.Brown-----------
-T.Brown---Elliot---Lowe-
------------Taylor -----
McG--------Penn---------Sido
-----------Deering-------
---Cureton-----Harrison------
Chelt Luke in Glos
Sido on the left! ;) :o
Joey
Wouldn't that formation leave us a bit exposed at the back with teams who have tricky strikers/wingers?
baggy89
Chelt Luke in Glos wrote:Sido on the left! ;) :o
Just trying to come up with a solution that didn't involve Billy Jones having to go end to end for 90 minutes with the players we already have.
Joey wrote:Wouldn't that formation leave us a bit exposed at the back with teams who have tricky strikers/wingers?
Dunno that's what I mean by interesting, but surely has the flexibility to go 5-3-2 if needs be with Jermaine and Sido (or other) dropping back or even 4-4-2 with just Sido dropping back into the "back four" and Deering going out left. I think Harrison has the ability to drop deep and link the midfield with Cureton also.

Think it'll be interesting to see who Yates brings in as I think we have players to accommodate a number of formations as it is.
51/84
you dont mean jermaine who is disliked by several of the posters on here who would rather he did nothing so they can say told you
shevates
51/84 wrote:you dont mean jermaine who is disliked by several of the posters on here who would rather he did nothing so they can say told you
Sorry if some of us have a different opinion to you 51/84, I accepted your views regarding Jermaine, and took them on board with out slating them. Im afraid its sarcastic comments like yours that has made this board so unpleasurable to be part of over the last 18 months or so, with some posters leaving or making very little contributions like they used to, myself being one of them. Im afraid you cant put your views over any more and actually discuss football, with out it turning into petty childish remarks of one up manship. If you believe the likes of myself and Horteng wish a Cheltenham player to fail you are deluded, I would have great pleasure if Jermaine has a brilliant season, and you were to comment that he always had it, and we didnt see what you seen. Thats if Im around to read it
MarkHalliwell
Well said Steve
C.V
Anyone want to buy a cheap season ticket we have got c!#p players and l want out
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
C.V wrote:Anyone want to buy a cheap season ticket we have got c!#p players and l want out
The Bury lad might be interested.
51/84
sorry steve if you think it was aimed at you or mark , but just go back and read some of the comments others posted about Jermaine.
I do believe that you and some others try and compare chalk and cheese but there a few who positively dislike the guy for some reason
You and mark give reasons , which I accept , ( i think they are erroneous but can see why you make them) but there are some who purport to support the club but have no time for the player and can see no good in him end off.
You and Mark have claimed correctly he has the potential and want him to show it as you have both said, therefore the comment does not apply to you both does it.
Similarly while I would not have chosen Mo in my team but when he was chosen I wanted him to do well and could see he had the potential but was not consistent enough but hoped he would do it
So I dont know what your problem is
If you want an apology then please accept this, similarly Mark sorry!