New 1st team coach

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

51/84
Im surprised we have not heard any announcements about our first team coach
Perhaps hes turned us down to stay where he is
CheltRobin
On his hols? Wasn't he confirmed by the Echo, thou not the official website?
taxidave
In a previous thread Si Robin stated....
I was told it was a cost-cutting measure and we wouldn't be getting anyone in.
........perhaps he was right.
Nesty
so far this appointment has yet to be confirmed.
51/84
I am in the belief that negotiations are ongoing ( re wages)
swellingsdownbelow
I hardly think even Cheltenham Town FC would advertise a post, draw up a short list, interview candidates, select the best and then start discussing wages?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Is this another Q&A draft destined for the waste paper bin?
Andy
swellingsdownbelow wrote:I hardly think even Cheltenham Town FC would advertise a post, draw up a short list, interview candidates, select the best and then start discussing wages?
Like most jobs it was probably advertised with a certain wage bracket and as with going for any job, when selected as the one for job, you negotiate the wage within that bracket or if cheeky enough just above the top end advertised. I know I have spent a couple of weeks before negotiating salary, benefits, etc.
51/84
so if the club offer less than the coach wants they just walk away

Its called negotiations, perhaps he wants bonuses , or percentages of sell ons etc
I have it on good authority its is not dead in the water yet

However if the club is penny pinching - either the coach accepts the challenge or they they walk
I can remember the 1st job I had I settled for a salary 10% less than I wanted.
When I left 4 yrs they offered to pay what I was going to. If they offered my the wage I wanted and then paid the same pay rises ( remember them) I would not have walked

Why do you think CTFC is any different from any commercial company.
Did we advertise the post or did we head hunt North
Perhaps he has another offer on the desk

When did you last apply for a job - salary negotiable

My concern is if it takes too long there maybe no plan B
Andy
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Is this another Q&A draft destined for the waste paper bin?
RCS, The story was correct. In only that it said he was offered the position. On JPs live chat he said his understanding is that negotiations are now ongoing.
Andy
There is also negotiations over length of contract and certain securities I expect. After all he is coming in as number 2 to a manager that only has a 1 year contract. If manager gets replaced I'd want some securities written into contract as I expect a lot of new managers like to change things.
Nesty
So, if he eventually says no, and we then offer it to (say Rusty) he will know he was 2nd , 3rd choice.
Surely you don't go public until the deal is done.
Andy
Nesty wrote:So, if he eventually says no, and we then offer it to (say Rusty) he will know he was 2nd , 3rd choice.
Again I don't think that's a problem. I've lost out to someone, been told thanks but no thanks and then a week later approached again. Didn't bother me.
taxidave
Andy wrote:
Nesty wrote:So, if he eventually says no, and we then offer it to (say Rusty) he will know he was 2nd , 3rd choice.
Again I don't think that's a problem. I've lost out to someone, been told thanks but no thanks and then a week later approached again. Didn't bother me.
I think the difference there is that it was only you and your future employers who knew what the situation was whereas in this case the whole footballing world knows that Milton was not first choice.
vcinthestand
No point is paying the coach until we need him! Or perhaps we need the extra ST tickets to pay him

I think someone one said it wouldnt happen as we would save money - it is starting to look that way
51/84
so another week passes and still no new coach.
I think we are probably looking at people carriers now
CTFC03
Why do we need to rush it?
ghandi
I thought marchants have always surplied our coaches.There driver would probably have more tactical ideas than yatesy.
Robin
CTFC03 wrote:Why do we need to rush it?
Who will cover Yates whilst on his holidays, who will train the players when they come back in a couple of weeks?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Correct Robin. Hard to have a good pre-season without a coach. And even more critical to have a goid pre-season with so many new players.
Nesty
Nesty
when is MY back from Hols? -
CTFC03
Where's Yates gone this year then, Marbella :lol:

My point is if we rush it and get the wrong man in, it will go tits up.
taxidave
CTFC03 wrote:Where's Yates gone this year then, Marbella :lol:

My point is if we rush it and get the wrong man in, it will go tits up.
But surely we have not rushed it, we went through a selection process, interviewed likely candidates and then selected the most suitable and offered him the job. I do not see how that can possibly be construed as rushing things and getting the wrong man.
I can see it going tits up if Yates has no one to give him advice and suggest a change of tactics during a match and who will take training while he is on the phone talking to prospective signings.
vcinthestand
we do have stevie
taxidave
vcinthestand wrote:we do have stevie
Yes I agree but, judging by his extending waistline, he will have to concentrate on his own fitness before he can start instructing others and if he is playing there will not be much chance for him to discuss tactics.
Surely the club would not go for such a cost cutting exercise...would they !
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
You would hope not TD. It's imperative a coach is in place in time for a good preseason for the reasons you give.
horlickfanclub
Yates has coaching badges .No panic. They only have to dig little holes and find diamonds.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
horlickfanclub wrote:Yates has coaching badges .No panic. They only have to dig little holes and find diamonds.
Needless criticism - even the best manager/coach in the world needs an assistant or first team coach to be able to run a club properly, and would want them in place during pre-season prep. The level of Yates' qualifications or talent is irrelevant.