2014/15 CTFC Squad

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
With the comings and goings this summer already, and more to come (coming at least) let's have a sticky so we can see the first team squad developing over the summer.

This also means that fans away on holiday etc can see this thread when they are back without having to trawl for news of what players we have signed.

So, CTFC 2014/15 squad so far (I may have missed some):

GKs:
Trevor Carson
Ritchie Jones

Defenders:

Troy Brown
Steve Elliot
James Bowen
CBB
Lee Vaughan
Jack Deaman

Midfielders:

Zack Kotwica
Joe Hanks
Williams
Ben Powell
Matt Richards
Taylor
Hall
Omari Sterling-James

Stikers:

Byron
Bobby Dale
Terry Gornell
Jamie Cureton
CalRobinHudson
Some great players such as Byron and Elliot, but the squad in whole needs more depth and a bit more versatility, hopefully we will bring in at LEAST 5-10 more players in June
51/84
Havent we signed hall
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Yes sorry, poor omission. Can a moderator please update the OP to include Hall as I no longer have editing privileges.
Robin
Elliott has been a great servant but if he's not centre back cover this season I will be worried.

What stands out for me is that we have extremely little league experience in there and if we do not address that another poor season may loom.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:Elliott has been a great servant but if he's not centre back cover this season I will be worried.

What stands out for me is that we have extremely little league experience in there and if we do not address that another poor season may loom.
We do have little experience, but not too different from 2011-12:

Hall - over 100 FL starts which is more than Penn had when we signed him after his solitary season in the FL for Burton, and more than Pack (had he played FL before us?), and more than Summefield who had around 75 FL starts when we signed him.

Tayor had over 150 FL starts before we signed him, and Richards over 300.

So it's quite obvious we have a more experienced midfield than Penn, Pack and Summerfield.

Plus Jimmy Spencer (30 FL starts) and Mo (debut FL seasons) flanked the striker.

Garbutt and Butland were not especially experienced at first team football.

Sido as well was only in his debut league season in 2011-2012.

So, given our best season in recent years had a lot of inexperienced players and players making their FL debut I would argue we should not consign ourselves to low expectations, and we only need a few players (keeper, wing and defence) to compliment our already experienced midfield.

Interesting that the season just ended started off with the midfielders above with Cureton, Vincent, Benno, Penn, Jones and Lowe was absolutely dull and boring and dire, in complete contrast to the fast exciting play in the 2011-2012 glory days.

This is why I have been so adamant in my view that playing young, fresh, hungry, carefree players can have positive results and give us better games to watch than the journeymen plodding around.

As Baker said - the plan of getting experienced players in backfired and we will be looking to have a bigger squad of players fans can associate with more. If that means watching Hanks try some good moves and one-twos which only come off half the time, or watching Taylor lob it forward without thought then it's only a good thing in my opinion.
CheltRobin
I think the plan for Elliott is to play 20-25 matches, whilst getting into his coaching role. Had a strong end to the season, so maybe he will start off as the main CB, then as the mid-week matches kick in, he'll be rested.
horlickfanclub
Good post Regency
Nesty
so.......... we have 15 signed on - given that some of the youngsters like Bowen, Powell, Dale etc might be loaned out it look like we may need as many as 8?

What positions ??
Robin
Two keepers, a centre half, left back, central midfielder, striker plus two wide forwards.
C.V
And first team coach
CheltRobin
Robin - I am starting to wondef if we will sign the 8 we need, maybe it will only be another 5/6?
51/84
I expect to see 2 long term loans
I expect to sign 4 first teamers and a couple of benchers
CheltRobin
Lets hope so, thats what we need.
Robin
Well we will definitely have two keepers coming in and a centre half as they are essential. We know Yates wants a left back and a striker but we do have cover in those positions. The rest is debatable however our current squad looks very low on quality in my view.
CheltRobin
Hopefully get the 2 players in this week that PB referred to.
51/84
We are now on 17 or 18 players so we need
second string keeper
Quality CB
Quality Mid
Quality striker

so just the spine of a team
Robin
We are aiming for a squad of 24 so that still looks light to me. We definitely need a another wide forward and a left back in my view 51/84.
Benctfc
IMO we still need to following
GK (Cheap cover)
LB (Cover)
CB (First choice to play alongside Troy maybe a loan from a prem club)
CM
Winger
Winger/Striker (Someone similar to Jimmy Spencer)
Striker (Usually you need 3 out and out strikers in the squad)
51/84
How many LBs can we have CBB, Bowen, Black and pussy cat Richards
Last year we didnt have enough this season we are chockers unless someone is going out
Robin
I would strongly hope both CBB and Taylor will be gone before the season starts.

My team as it stands (4-5-1)
Carson (GK)
Vaughan (RB)
Brown (CB)
NEW SIGNING (CB)
NEW SIGNING (LB)
NEW SIGNING (RM/RF)
Richards (CM)
Hall (CM)
NEW SIGNING (CM)
NEW SIGNING (LM/LF)
Harrison (SC)

Subs
NEW SIGNING (GK)
Black (Defence)
Elliott (Defence)
Hanks (Midfield) / Kotwica (Midfield/Forward)
Gornell (Striker)
Howarth (Forward)

Out on short term loan for experience
Bowen, Dale
Benctfc
51/84 wrote:How many LBs can we have CBB, Bowen, Black and pussy cat Richards
Last year we didnt have enough this season we are chockers unless someone is going out
Sorry meant RB!
THECHOIRBOY
Robin - is Marshall one of the old scholars? Is he rated highly ? Not really heard much about him.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
How come no other teams have snapped up the Signing brothers before?
Andy
Sorry. Have I missed some news. Do we have a goalkeeper now....officially?
kora
And who the hell is Marshall?
Robin
Sorry guys that's my mistake I meant the new guy Haworth but for some reason had Ben Marshall stuck in my head.
Robin
Andy wrote:Sorry. Have I missed some news. Do we have a goalkeeper now....officially?
Andy, Carson is set to complete his move today I believe but it's not been officially confirmed as yet.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Howarth is a wide player so could fill a gap in your eleven.
Andy
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Howarth is a wide player so could fill a gap in your eleven.
and who's Howarth? another new one?
Robin
I would have Haworth as cover RCS and hope we have better in the starting eleven.
CheltRobin
Robin - Richards to keep his CM position after last season? Apart from his pens, didnt do nowhere near enough for me. Hope we sign someone better for upcoming season.
Robin
He will start CheltRobin. Remember Byron had a dire first season and was much improved second time around no doubt Richards will be towards the top end of our pay scale too.
CheltRobin
Lets hope Richards can turn his form around then - Im not convinced thou.
Nesty
Robin wrote:I would strongly hope both CBB and Taylor will be gone before the season starts.

My team as it stands (4-5-1)
Carson (GK)
Vaughan (RB)
Brown (CB)
NEW SIGNING (CB)
NEW SIGNING (LB)
NEW SIGNING (RM/RF)
Richards (CM)
Hall (CM)
NEW SIGNING (CM)
NEW SIGNING (LM/LF)
Harrison (SC)

Subs
NEW SIGNING (GK)
Black (Defence)
Elliott (Defence)
Hanks (Midfield) / Kotwica (Midfield/Forward)
Gornell (Striker)
Howarth (Forward)

Out on short term loan for experience
Bowen, Dale
You really do not like CBB do you? - he's here and I would think staying.
As for Taylor - who knows - there does not seem to be much indication that he is going anywhere.

I would see us signing a CB, another wide player, a striker (all of which need to be first teamers) and a back up keeper.
I hope to see more from Gornell this season.