Jamie Cureton latest

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Here: http://bit.ly/CuretonOnFuture" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Si Robin
I think him signing on may actually be a shrewd bit of business by Yates, if he does. Harrison has praised him for his advice and going by the tone of that interview he sounds as hungry as any young player I've ever seen. Even as a bit part player, his experience could be crucial. On a much lower wage (as per the article) it could be a small risk worth taking.
C.V
Cant understand all this sign him on again ask yourselves why was he let go last season??Another year older less games played and using up most needed funds that could be used on younger hungry players.Personally l think if we do take him back its a backward step.
Fuller
C.V wrote:Cant understand all this sign him on again ask yourselves why was he let go last season??Another year older less games played and using up most needed funds that could be used on younger hungry players.Personally l think if we do take him back its a backward step.
Must admit I agree with you CV, Yates said he wanted younger players at the end of last season. If he does sign he will probably spend most of the time on the bench with cameo appearances only.

If Dagenham had offered him a deal I reckon he would have joined them instead.
asl
Didn't Cotts release the useless Hugh McAuley only for Graham Allner to realise he was short of players and had to sign him on again...?
Robin
At the moment we are seriously over stocked on young players and seriously lacking experience and proven quality. On reduced wages surely this is a no-brainer.
London Exile
C.V wrote:Cant understand all this sign him on again ask yourselves why was he let go last season??Another year older less games played and using up most needed funds that could be used on younger hungry players.Personally l think if we do take him back its a backward step.
I agree with this, plus why are Dagenham not offering him a deal?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
London Exile wrote:
I agree with this, plus why are Dagenham not offering him a deal?
People said the same when they offloaded Wes Thomas and we saw how that was a mistake.....
London Exile
We paid a small fee for Thomas though whereas Cureton is available on a free
51/84
The only no brainer is that we shouldnt sign him

If you read the article he wants to be part time on what we are offering
How is that going to help the team get and the dynamics

I wholeheartedly agree with CV
1 yr older on less money part time
No passion and no hunger

He says he would fit into a 4-3-3
but where
harrison is the middle man surely we would need 2 wingers/wide men not Curo

Also the 4-3-3 becomes 4-5-1 and we know he doesnt do that

RCS - Thomas was not and still isnt a 39yr old

Move on
Robin
But JC has plenty of passion and hunger, he was one of our most comitted players last season 51/84
CheltRobin
Know where you're coming from Robin, but I just can't see JC having an impact on the pitch with this season's formations. Off the field certainly, but you can't sign a player just for that.

If were gona stick with a 4-4-2 then the case becomes a lot stronger.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:But JC has plenty of passion and hunger, he was one of our most comitted players last season 51/84
Robin, I agree that the commitment and experience and quality would be an asset, even at his age.
Si Robin
I also agree with Robin (shock, horror). Byron said at the end of last season how much of a help Cureton was to him. A man with his experience could be crucial to the likes of Bobbie Dale and Harry Williams as well.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Si Robin wrote:I also agree with Robin (shock, horror). Byron said at the end of last season how much of a help Cureton was to him. A man with his experience could be crucial to the likes of Bobbie Dale and Harry Williams as well.
Exactly, if JC helps our younger players improve and helps Byron keep building his confidence then the benefit for our club will last for seasons to come if after JC retires we have three or four players who have improved from his final year here.
51/84
how is he going to help us when he wants to spend less time at CTFC

He cant be exactly over worked even now
taxidave
I seem to recall someone mentioning that this may be a season of cost cutting. :roll:
trickster
I haven’t read or watched any interview but part time must mean less training with the team sounds like semi retirement to me, if he’s got other interests that won’t help his game, and where will his priorities lay, don’t like the sounds of that he needs to be fitter and sharper than last season not fatter and slower.
Horteng
He says his age doesn't matter and hes still fit so why doesn't he feel the need to train?

He doesn't sound committed...... And for the reason the club should walk away.

Thanks but no thanks
Alf
Maybe Cureton sees a managerial post looming in the not too distant future?
Robin
I think a Curo/Elliott/North management team would be a good fall back option when Yates is sacked.
Alf
Certainly the first two. Third one has yet to prove himself.
horlickfanclub
Plenty of Conference clubs nearer Curetons home. His Mums cooking must be good.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:I think a Curo/Elliott/North management team would be a good fall back option when Yates is sacked.
when or if*
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
horlickfanclub wrote:Plenty of Conference clubs nearer Curetons home. His Mums cooking must be good.

West County better than Essex - simple!
taxidave
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
horlickfanclub wrote:Plenty of Conference clubs nearer Curetons home. His Mums cooking must be good.
But his family home is in Harlow.
“I only went to Dagenham to keep fit and it’s 20 minutes down the road from where I live, so it made life easier,” Cureton said.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
taxidave wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
“I only went to Dagenham to keep fit and it’s 20 minutes down the road from where I live, so it made life easier,” Cureton said.
Yes, I know. That was the point Horlickfanclub was making.

In the article it mentions how in recent years he spent a lot of time away from his family home in Harlow, Essex and commuted to Exeter and Cheltenham from his Mother's house in Bristol. This was not ideal as it meant he spent time away from his family home.

Horlickfanclub made a joke that his Mum's cooking must be good for him to have endured such a situation and potentially to choose to return to such a situation.

I made a further joke that it was not to do with his Mum's cooking, but simply that because the West Country was nicer than Essex.

Do you understand now?
taxidave
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: West County better than Essex - simple!

In the article it mentions how in recent years he spent a lot of time away from his family home in Harlow, Essex and commuted to Exeter and Cheltenham from his Mother's house in Bristol. This was not ideal as it meant he spent time away from his family home.

Horlickfanclub made a joke that his Mum's cooking must be good for him to have endured such a situation and potentially to have to return to such a situation.

I made a further joke that it was not to do with his Mum's cooking, but simply that because the West Country was nicer than Essex.

Do you understand now?[/quote]
I don't think I ever said that I misunderstood any part of your post, I was merely stating that Dagenham was very close to his family home, a fact which you were obviously already aware of.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
taxidave wrote:
taxidave wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: West County better than Essex - simple!

Horlickfanclub made a joke that his Mum's cooking must be good for him to have endured such a situation and potentially to have to return to such a situation.

Do you understand now?
I don't think I ever said that I misunderstood any part of your post, I was merely stating that Dagenham was very close to his family home, a fact which you were obviously already aware of.
In which case what was the purpose of quoting me and pointing out that he lived in Harlow - if you understood the joke Horlickfanclub made and my addition to it surely you wouldn't have needed to merely state that fact!?

Happy to switch to PM.
CheltRobin
I'm not comfortable with the club looking like their signing JC for another year, yet he'll be spending maybe half the week away from the squad to be with his family. How is that going to help the younger lads if he's hardly ever there in training?

If JC wants to train/play almost on a PT basis, why doesn't he sign for a London/Essex-based non-league club?

This defies logic to me, I don't see how the situation can benefit the club, only JC. Anyone else think the same?

I have no issue with JC returning for another year, but surely if he does, he should be expected to live closer. The new Leeds chairman has said that ALL his players WILL live in Leeds, which is fair enough I think.
51/84
agree 100% CheltRobin

If his name was not Cureton we would not even be considering this

Move on or lets get ben burgess or gilly back
trickster
CheltRobin wrote:I'm not comfortable with the club looking like their signing JC for another year, yet he'll be spending maybe half the week away from the squad to be with his family. How is that going to help the younger lads if he's hardly ever there in training?

If JC wants to train/play almost on a PT basis, why doesn't he sign for a London/Essex-based non-league club?

This defies logic to me, I don't see how the situation can benefit the club, only JC. Anyone else think the same?

I have no issue with JC returning for another year, but surely if he does, he should be expected to live closer. The new Leeds chairman has said that ALL his players WILL live in Leeds, which is fair enough I think.
My guess would be is that whatever his plans are for the future he still needs a regular income coming in and football has always been his bread and butter, and even part time he could command a higher wage then most manual workers get for a weeks work, could be wrong but the idea seems to favour Mr Cureton rather than Cheltenham Town.
CheltRobin
51/84 - Did like Burgess - hasn't he retired thou? For a 1yr deal, Gilly could be worth a punt.
Robin
Gillespie has dropped into non-league, sadly not the same player he once was.
CheltRobin
Would've liked to have seen Jimmy Spencer return, we just need a bit more power up top.