Chelski - Pulling transfer fees out of magic hats?

Talk about other football teams at all levels. AND ANY Glos City related threads, even if talking about the groundsharing.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

CheltRobin
Are Chelski just pulling out random numbers out of a hat to use as Transfer fees this season?

They wanted 35 mill for Lukaku, who has been on loan for the past 2 seasons with WBA and Everton. Everton managed to get the fee down to 28 mill, but still.

Now, they have quoted Southampton 10 mill to buy Ryan Bertrand, a guy who been at Chelski for years, but, again, mostly played out on loan.

Abramovich is the new Paul Daniels!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
To be fair if Shane Long is twelve million pounds then £28m is about right for Lukaku. Equally compare Luke Shaw and Bertrand. Ultimately it's the buying club who set value. Everton didn't have to pay £28m but they thought he was worth it.
CheltRobin
Long at 12 mill is way over-priced, but this is what typifies the British transfer market these days unfortunately.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Players transfer for what a team is willing and able to pay.
CheltRobin
True. Just think the market's out of control at mo. At some point hopefully someone will say, "enough is enough". If there were no transfer windows, that would stopthe last minute rush for players at end of Aug and Jan and make prices less inflated and more comparable to the rest of Europe.
Robin
When I saw a league one player went for £5 million I laughed, Lukaku is about right given his potential but Bertrand in my eyes is worth no more than £2-3 million. The problem is everyone see's a player go for fee a) and automatically wants b) which is larger.