Derby Day

Talk about other football teams at all levels. AND ANY Glos City related threads, even if talking about the groundsharing.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
So it's Gloucester vs Forest Green today.

I'd like a draw then when Round 1 numbers come out the hat we are picked at home to play the winner, setting up their replay nicely.
CheltRobin
What do we reckon on the crowd today - maybe 1500?

I expect those bar tills to be singing a very happy tune today for Chelt!
Red Duke
There was a report in the Sports News section on BBC Breakfast that referred to the game as "El Glossico". There was short interview with the owner of Forest Green and the BBC reporter was at Sunk Meadow showing the state of ground. They gave a credit to Neil for the photos of when the ground was flooded.

However, no mention of the game being played at Whaddon Road....
Malabus
Tempted to pop along in the FGR end.
London Exile
Can't see beyond an FGR win given the resources and squad they have
Robin
WHat was the score and attendence?
Malabus
Robin wrote:WHat was the score and attendence?
Squatters 1 - 4 FGR.

Just over 2000. A lot Cheltenham in the away end.
Robin
Fair play that's a bloody good attendence, almost double both teams home support!
CheltRobin
The fans are out there then. Just need some tempting.
Eleanor
There were lots of Cheltenham fans in the home end too. Gloucester worked really hard and dominated the second half without ever quite threatening a goal. The two late Forest Green goals give a very misleading impression of their very sluggish performance. I would love us to draw them at home tomorrow night.
mattyboi
dont forget the offer free entry to under 18s, so id take off 300-400
bobcarolgees
Why on earth would you take "300-400 off"?? They still had to get over there and they were in the crowd. No doubt those same ones probably had drink and food bought for them which your club would have benefited from.

Says a lot about FGR though, even with some of your support boosting the away end we still outnumbered them by more than 2-1. Would have been a lot more back home, just need to get things happening now.
Robin
Many ctfc fans in the home areas Bob as Eleanor suggests? Our chairman today stated ours fans should have got behind you due to the positive realtions now between us, not sure the tradilionalists would agree with that though!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
If Forest Green get into the league and a new stadium near the M5 as part of an Ecotricity HQ complex like Mr Vince wants they will be more successful than CTFC as we could not compete financially. I think this is what PB is getting at - questioning why CTFC fans would support a team buying their way to being the county's best team.
ctfc-fan
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:If Forest Green get into the league and a new stadium near the M5 as part of an Ecotricity HQ complex like Mr Vince wants they will be more successful than CTFC as we could not compete financially. I think this is what PB is getting at - questioning why CTFC fans would support a team buying their way to being the county's best team.
But he's just got a new HQ in the centre of Stroud so why would he want another??
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
ctfc-fan wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:If Forest Green get into the league and a new stadium near the M5 as part of an Ecotricity HQ complex like Mr Vince wants they will be more successful than CTFC as we could not compete financially. I think this is what PB is getting at - questioning why CTFC fans would support a team buying their way to being the county's best team.
But he's just got a new HQ in the centre of Stroud so why would he want another??
http://www.stroudlife.co.uk/Forest-Gree ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
London Exile
Whether FGR get into the League or not I think there is no question that there is no longevity in this success. Essentially FGR have become the sport & social division of ecotricty and the question is how long Vince will continue to fund it once he has propelled ecotricty into the spotlight as much as he feels he can?
However, unsustainable or not, in the short term they are not going to go away just yet and if they were to move to near the M5, at what cost and damage to both Cheletenham Town and Gloucester City will this have?
Fingers crossed the move does not go ahead
CheltRobin
In terms of support, I don't think it will affect Chelt too much, but it might well do in terms of Sponsership and Hospitality.

Chelt board need to be keeping an eye on this.
bobcarolgees
I doubt many would have been supporting City in the home end, certainly from the impression online FGR's away attendance was bolstered with support from your fanbase.

Dale Vince said on the BBC that he believes he can get FGR into the Championship... I don't doubt his cash, he must have wasted an absolute fortune over the years watching them finish mid-table continually. How long is he happy to continue doing that? Nailsworth is tiny and an affluent area, it's totally unsustainable for a club like that. But that doesn't mean he should do a MK Dons and move them somewhere else. Facts are he made a mistake buying into a club with a limited catchment area. I personally can see them being Rushden & Diamonds MK 2. They might progress but eventually the bubble will burst. The whole situation there is uneasy for me.
CheltRobin
When the bubble does burst, FGR could well find themselves back in the Southern League quick smart.
ctfc-fan
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
ctfc-fan wrote:
http://www.stroudlife.co.uk/Forest-Gree ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Unless I missed it though there's no mention of having an Ecotricity HQ there? They've just done up the old Stroud and Swindon offices, can't see them spending more money so soon to move again.