Yorkshire County Cricket Club

WARNING: This section may contain jokes or topics of an offensive nature.
Recommended for over 18's only. Send Admin a PM to request exclusion.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

solihullkev
Currently live in SS2 v Glos. They are wearing our away strip.
Artemis
Listened to it on the radio. Bob Hunt commentating. He's the bloke who does the FGR commentary on Radio Glos. Drooling on about it being the year they'll go up. Not a mention of Gloucestershire's other NL club.
theidlerich
Up the 'shire - yet another Lords final [after a considerable absence...]. Excellent effort GCCC.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Artemis wrote:Listened to it on the radio. Bob Hunt commentating. He's the bloke who does the FGR commentary on Radio Glos. Drooling on about it being the year they'll go up. Not a mention of Gloucestershire's other NL club.
I listened to 5Live Sports Extra - whether it was national or Radio Yorks I don't know as the bias is the same.
Artemis
RCS, it was online, BBC Radios Bristol and Leeds.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Artemis wrote:RCS, it was online, BBC Radios Bristol and Leeds.
I assume the 5 Live broadcast was Radio Leeds in which case.
Shade
Watched as much as I could on Sky. They couldn't believe Yorkshire contrived to lose. I mean, how could the great Yorkshire possibly not beat Gloucestershire? Must have been just because Yorkshire were so poor on the day, for once...

So biased they even had a Yorkshire player commentating. 'we this' and 'we that'. Eng v Aus games have less biased commentary.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:Watched as much as I could on Sky. They couldn't believe Yorkshire contrived to lose. I mean, how could the great Yorkshire possibly not beat Gloucestershire? Must have been just because Yorkshire were so poor on the day, for once...

So biased they even had a Yorkshire player commentating. 'we this' and 'we that'. Eng v Aus games have less biased commentary.
Makes the win even more special. On the Radio they were talking about how Yorkshire fans had already bought train tickets before the game etc.

Might face the same situation again if Surrey are the opponents in the final - the media's (and England Selectors') second most creamed-over side. No doubt they'll have Stewart and Thorpe in the commentary saying how it's a shame they aren't facing Yorkshire which would have made for a great game etc.
Shade
Undoubtedly. There is a horrible hierarchy within cricket, right down to the schools that act as feeder clubs for the Counties. Not that I'm bitter I never got a look in when I was 11 because I was from Brockworth and not any of the posh schools, whose players were in the centre nets and actually being watched by the GCCC coaches...

Guy I work with could have got us tickets for Lords, but he's away that week and dare not go to the cricket instead for fear of what his wife might do to him while he's asleep. And someone else is on holiday so I have to work anyway :cry:
asl
Shade wrote:I mean, how could the great Yorkshire possibly not beat Gloucestershire? Must have been just because Yorkshire were so poor on the day, for once...
[Cough]Like Altrincham v Cheltenham...?
Shade
:D
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Surrey it is in the final - Nottinghamshire unable to get the 14 runs needed off the last over.
Daveangel
Shade wrote:Undoubtedly. There is a horrible hierarchy within cricket, right down to the schools that act as feeder clubs for the Counties. Not that I'm bitter I never got a look in when I was 11 because I was from Brockworth and not any of the posh schools, whose players were in the centre nets and actually being watched by the GCCC coaches...

Guy I work with could have got us tickets for Lords, but he's away that week and dare not go to the cricket instead for fear of what his wife might do to him while he's asleep. And someone else is on holiday so I have to work anyway :cry:
Another Gloucester lad deserting his own City's team. ;)

How old are you, if you don't mind me asking?
Malabus
Daveangel wrote:Another Gloucester lad deserting his own City's team. ;)
Tewkesbury by my map and closer to WR than the flood plains of Hampstead.
Shade
Daveangel wrote:
Shade wrote:Undoubtedly. There is a horrible hierarchy within cricket, right down to the schools that act as feeder clubs for the Counties. Not that I'm bitter I never got a look in when I was 11 because I was from Brockworth and not any of the posh schools, whose players were in the centre nets and actually being watched by the GCCC coaches...

Technically Gloucester, but just as close to Cheltenham as Gloucester! I was packed off to Chosen Hill after primary school and have always worked in Cheltenham so I've nearly always been over on the 'light' side :P

Shade
Malabus wrote:
Correct. I'm a Tewkesbury B.C. boy... :?
Malabus
Shade wrote:
Malabus wrote:
Correct. I'm a Tewkesbury B.C. boy... :?
That's my point, child.
Shade
I know. That's why I was agreeing with you, scary old wizard.
Daveangel
7.1 miles to WR, 6.8 miles to MP, by the shortest route Anthony. Just checked. :)

With a GL3 postcode and an 01452 code, we're firmly a suburb of Glorious Gloucester, you scary old wizard.

Hampstead? ;)
Daveangel
Shade wrote:
Daveangel wrote:

Technically Gloucester, but just as close to Cheltenham as Gloucester! I was packed off to Chosen Hill after primary school and have always worked in Cheltenham so I've nearly always been over on the 'light' side :P

My Dad took me to Horton Rd, my next door neighbour took his lad to WR and the rest is history.

That said, you know the scariest thing?

My Dads no longer about, but my Mums neighbour and his Son have been travelling to see FGR for the last 3 seasons.

Eurgh! :|
Shade
Now that is traitorous.
I had a teacher when I was 11 who went to Cheltenham games away at the likes of Farnborough and Hednesford and left the programmes on my desk on a Monday morning for me, and my brother went to Cheltenham games occasionally so, along with the school and where all my friends lived, I guess I never had a choice really!
Daveangel
Not Richard Lucas at Brockworth Primary? He taught me and both my lads and still supports CT!

"Your" team is set at a very young age for a variety of reasons, but the one thing I can never understand is people who change teams!
Vanky
Daveangel wrote:
"Your" team is set at a very young age for a variety of reasons, but the one thing I can never understand is people who change teams!
The unforgivable sin! :o :evil:
Shade
Daveangel wrote:Not Richard Lucas at Brockworth Primary? He taught me and both my lads and still supports CT!

:lol: Yes, it was "Mr Lucas". I haven't seen him since I left though.
Malabus
Brockworth Primary.....too poor for a proper education.
Daveangel
Shade wrote:
Daveangel wrote:Not Richard Lucas at Brockworth Primary? He taught me and both my lads and still supports CT!

:lol: Yes, it was "Mr Lucas". I haven't seen him since I left though.
Haha. Thought it might be! He's a legendary man, and still going strong. Not a day goes by when we don't bicker about football on FB!

I still can't help calling him "Mr Lucas" even though I'm 42! :D

Tell Anthony my schooling was great and I'm doing fine for myself in Tewkesbury.

I'm a bit scared to address the Scary Old Wizard directly. :)
Shade
Ha, Great stuff. Although I still harbour a grudge that he refused to acknowledge my awesome striking potential, and deployed me as left back and then sweeper for the 2 years I played for the school :lol: