CTFC vs Dover - match day thread

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I am going for a 3-1 win, with 2,200 in attendance.

Just feels like a low attendance kind of day today.

Cheltenham Saracens at home in the FA Cup too.
Shade
Why don't you play the prediction league? It's getting lonely in there already...
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:Why don't you play the prediction league? It's getting lonely in there already...
Is there any point if you don't play every week from the start - surely I am too far behind?

I will though in this instance.
Shade
This is looking like it will be an horrendous attendance. About 20 from Dover, huge gaps in the PRE and T&B, main stand about usual...
Shade
Make that 50 from Dover...just counted...but a trickle still coming in.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
0-1.

Shocking start.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Sounds horrendous
Shade
It has been. Some absolute garbage from the ref and our defensive players. The ref's put the shits up our defence, no two ways about it. The penalty was so weak. 95% of refs wouldn't have even contemplated it, but Dickie was a dickie for having a little grab, but their player was pushing as well. Best part of the first half, other than our goal, was the woman at the front of the T&B screaming, when fairly quiet, "you're paid to make your own decision, lino, you tosser!"
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
JP echo feed, and James Young said consensus amongst journalists at game was that it was a pen.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
GOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLL 3-2!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Great win - shame about the two conceded but nice to net three, which we should be doing against most teams.
Ralph
Great result, we're coming back from behind to win, we're scoring goals, something we haven't done for a while
Robin
Horrendous first half, quite possibly the softest penalty you will ever see. Dover play tugging on Dickie (who has the ball), Dickie brushes him off with one hand and Ref gives penalty while our fans are cheering fully expecting a free kick for the pull! Storer with an horrific back pass then gifts them a two nil lead. Dover were easily the most physical and direct side we've played but somehow it was working especially as they dived on the floor with the slightest touch from our lads.

Totally different story second half and 3-2 was not even a fair reflection we could have scored a few more. My biggest take away is 5-3-2 is our best formation at the moment, second after thought we are head and shoulders above most teams in this division which clearly has some real dross in it including Dover!
Malabus
Referee was a disgrace to the game in the 1st half.
darreno
second after thought we are head and shoulders above most teams in this division which clearly has some real dross in it including Dover!
Well let's hope we get out of this division at the first attempt because next season we will be the ones with the dross in our side. :roll:
vickeryc
There may be a lot of dross in this league, but few of these teams are going to be pushovers. It's great to see a team that doesn't give up and can turn losing positions into wins. That was unthinkable over the last couple of seasons. The lads deserve tremendous credit, especially given there relative inexperience, and the crowd seem to respond much better to triers than the hapless lot that 'graced' League Two. So nice to not have to witness Matt Richards' constant back passes any more!
Malabus
Psychological disadvantage playing towards the WR end; hearing about the same old slope too many times.
Shade
At least we finally scored a goal in the WR end today!
London Exile
I'm delighted Billy got off the mark today and what a strike for the winner.
I said to the wife before the game I hoped for a Waters and Wright brace in 4-0 win, not quite what I'd hoped for but both Waters and Wright scored and we won so I'm still a happy chap.
The wife thinks I'm developing a man crush on Danny Wright and she could well be right! His work rate is second to none, the ball stricks to him and he brings the others in to play.
Malabus
Is the slope that bad! http://m.dover-express.co.uk/man-Dover- ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hubert Parry
What a nice way to welcome my move to Cheltenham - although I was definitely fearing the worst at half time.

The scoreline was a fair outcome. Despite being insipid for the majority of the first half and the threat carried by Dover's two forwards, I never felt that we were severely on the back foot in terms of the balance of play.

The penalty baffled me at the time - I could not believe that any defender would be so stupid to concede a penalty where the ball had effectively gone out for a thrown in, so I blamed the referee. I have no idea whether or not it was justified.

The second goal was comedic, and I only say that because we won. If we hadn't, I would be far less forgiving. It was decision-making of the most baffling kind, and we made many similar errors throughout the game. This included the numerous times we allowed the ball to bounce when balls were played over our heads, or heading/passing sideways in front of goal.

I am not convinced by the diamond system, and its flaws were exposed in the first half. We had no width, and we were heavily outnumbered for the crucial challenges. The change of system worked a treat, coupled with a more defensive Dover, and the momentum gathered as the game progressed.

Phillips - I am not sure he could have done much more for the goals. He might have made a dash for the second. His kicking continues to be erratic.

Dickie - not his finest game, but that is largely because he has been excellent in all the others I have seen. That said, his work for our winner showed great intelligence, as he was aware that he had the freedom to travel forward, freeing up men and space allowing for the assist.

Barthram - the most narrow wing-back I have seen. I felt he was largely ineffective in the first half, but contributed to our revival without standing out in the second.

Downes - as solid as ever, and perhaps bought a couple of yellow cards with his protestations to the referee. A fine captain, leading by example - best represented by throwing his face onto a shot which had me cringing.

Parslow - I really wish he wouldn't let the ball bounce, every, single, time. This said, he appears to be a good partner for Downes. I am not sure how culpable he, or any of the other defenders were for the second goal.

Storer - forever a solid block in the side. He does his job consistently well, in a similar way to Dave Bird.

Pell - a poor man's Marlon Pack, and I mean that in the nicest possible way. He is capable of the odd holiday pass, and he gets stuck in more than Pack does. However, he lacks the overall quality and vision that MP had, and therefore finds himself out of the game for substantial periods. Overall, a good game.

Waters - largely anonymous until his first goal. I am convinced that he should be a striker rather than a midfielder. His finishing is excellent, but his link up play isn't as strong - although perfectly acceptable today.

Munns - he likes to take ownership of situations, and he has a good understanding of the game. We were noticeably frazzled by the penalty but he urged calmness from the rest. His play for our first led the way for the comeback.

Morgan-Smith - he ran his socks off despite not having much luck in front of goal. When strikers are not scoring, you look to their contribution, and he certainly put in a shift.

Wright - almost ditto AMS. Won a few headers and held the ball up well. Tired noticeably towards the end.

Vaughan - for me, my MOTM. A completely different player on the wing, as opposed to FB. He was a real live wire, got heavily involved and played some very intelligent passes. He was out most effective outlet. He would definitely start for me if we were to continue with a 3x5x2.

Rowe - did his job well and showed great technique for his 40 yard effort in injury time.
Hubert Parry
Malabus wrote:Is the slope that bad! http://m.dover-express.co.uk/man-Dover- ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He is a classless man. He makes my 'list'.
London Exile
Welcome back to the parish HP
London Exile
Malabus wrote:Is the slope that bad! http://m.dover-express.co.uk/man-Dover- ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And there isn't a slope at the crabble ground? What minute was it that their physio took his time walking/trotting across to their injured player in the first half? I was worried he might have messed himself the way he 'ran' across to the injured player!
Countless times from an early stage Dover were playing for time - people in glass houses Mr Kinnear
Shade
Hubert, I agree with your assesment on the whole, but it was just an awful header from Storer for our second conceded. Nobody reacted because I think everyone assumed it must have been to somebody closer than they were, it was that wayward. I don't think Parslow can take any blame, and I still rate Parslow's defensive ability better than Downes', not that either were to blame for todays goals, imo.
Oldun
Just to add to Hubert's comments......
Barthram is playing out of position and will be restored to RB on Tuesday in the same 5-3-2 that started at Torquay presumably. Felt criticism of him a it harsh.
Secondly, Vaughan MOM? Please no. He did get involved well but is a booking waiting to happen.
Dickie? He had poor game. His crossing of the ball was abysmal.
So to Tuesday.......3-4-1-2 for me......Waters free to join front two where he is most dangerous. Not sure if my middle two wouldn't be Hall and Pell!
Robin
For me it's one of Waters or Munns to start in a 5-3-2.
Shade
As long as we have Barthram back in that right wing back position, I'm not too bothered. He's head and shoulders better than Vaughan and Dickie at RB/RWB, but he's done a job for the team the last few games.
Alf
Slope? He's havin' a laugh isn't he.......unless I've one leg shorter than the other?
Hubert Parry
I know he is not related to Joe Kinnear, but he certainly shares several characteristics.
Robin
He's Joe Kinnear's brother Hubert.
Hubert Parry
No, he isn't.

http://www.dover-express.co.uk/m-Joe-Ki ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Baffling why you would correct someone without any foundation whatsoever!!
Robin
Wow, I've seen it reported in several places that it's Joe Kinnears brother!
Malabus
Did anyone notice that Dover fitness depleted rapidly in the 2nd half.
Nesty
Vaughan MOM ?? he wasnt that good !! he gave the ball away sloppily several times...