Battle Royale

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
The big boys lining up behind FGR.

The other big four of Grimsby, Tranmere, Gateshead and Wrexham up there as expected, Woking and Eastleigh continuing their form from last season.

Four points cover the pack from 2nd to 8th. Gonna be a hell of contest for promotion:

Forest Green - 9 - 14 - 27
Wrexham - 9 - 9 - 19
Gateshead - 9 - 2 - 19
Cheltenham - 9 - 8 - 18
Woking - 9 - 8 - 17
Eastleigh - 9 - 6 - 17
Grimsby - 9 - 8 - 15
Tranmere - 9 - 4 - 15
Robin
There is clearly a mini-league although I would expect Gateshead and Woking to drift away as the season progresses.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:There is clearly a mini-league although I would expect Gateshead and Woking to drift away as the season progresses.
Gateshead will be right up there. Play-offs in 2014 and a huge disappointment not to last season.
Robin
Bookies see both those sides as long shots RCS but I will respect your North East knowledge on this one.
Malabus
Apparently FGR were dreadful today. They really haven't been playing well. I expect them to lose heavily on Tuesday v Woking.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:Bookies see both those sides as long shots RCS but I will respect your North East knowledge on this one.
Aye. Maybe put them down as best of the rest - they should be top seven or eight, but whether they can break into the top is a different question. Depends if Bowman keeps scoring and on how well Eastleigh and Tranmere do. Cheltenham, FGR, Grimsby and Wrexham will all be in the top five I think so the question is who will join them.
Malabus
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Robin wrote:Bookies see both those sides as long shots RCS but I will respect your North East knowledge on this one.
Aye. Maybe put them down as best of the rest - they should be top seven or eight, but whether they can break into the top is a different question. Depends if Bowman keeps scoring and on how well Eastleigh and Tranmere do. Cheltenham, FGR, Grimsby and Wrexham will all be in the top five I think so the question is who will join them.
Not Grimsby, mid table at best.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Malabus wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Not Grimsby, mid table at best.
4-1 today, top scorers in the division, and Omar Bogle moves to seven goals.

Depends if Hurst either a) gets his act together or b) gets sacked if he doesn't. My Grimsby mate was adamant Hurst had to go if they didn't beat Aldershot today after what they consider an awful start, so today is respite at least.
Shade
I don't understand how Tranmere are 3pts behind us.
Nham68
Shade wrote:I don't understand how Tranmere are 3pts behind us.
Because we got beat last weekend and didn't kill off other games when we only got a point despite really should have been taking all 3. Simples.
Ralph
After Macc, 3 big games coming up. Lets see where we are after those.

Woking
FGR
Tranmere
Robin
I have a feeling we will lose at Woking but win at FGR.
Shade
Nham68 wrote:
Shade wrote:I don't understand how Tranmere are 3pts behind us.
Because we got beat last weekend and didn't kill off other games when we only got a point despite really should have been taking all 3. Simples.
I was more meaning Tranmere appear to have been c!#p, and looked c!#p on TV last weekend.
Robin
I think Tranmere probably are c!#p but this league is pretty poor besides the top 7-8 so not hard to pick up points regularly.
Malabus
Ralph wrote:After Macc, 3 big games coming up. Lets see where we are after those.

Woking
FGR
Tranmere
Not just big games but extremely important as indicator where we are going this season.
Robin
They say the league takes shape after ten games, after nine games we are fourth and could easily be unbeaten at this point. Apart from Torquay we've not played consistently well yet we've had far too much quality for the bulk of the sides we have come up against.
Shade
And now we have Billy Waters back in form.
London Exile
Last 20 minutes of a game I feel we really go up a gear and how many times have we scored in the last 15 minutes of games?
Robin
You could really see the difference in fitness levels today it pays being full time in this league all the part time clubs (Barrow, Southport and Dover) to come here have been dead on their feet second half.
Shade
London Exile wrote:Last 20 minutes of a game I feel we really go up a gear and how many times have we scored in the last 15 minutes of games?
I'd like to know that and how many points we've won from losing positions.
little mo
Robin wrote:You could really see the difference in fitness levels today it pays being full time in this league all the part time clubs (Barrow, Southport and Dover) to come here have been dead on their feet second half.
I have said on here before, but nobody seems to believe me, Barrow are full time.
London Exile
Shade wrote:
London Exile wrote:Last 20 minutes of a game I feel we really go up a gear and how many times have we scored in the last 15 minutes of games?
I'd like to know that and how many points we've won from losing positions.
I've had a quick look and its 6 goals scored in the last 10 minutes of games

Southport - AMS '82
Barrow - Dickie '88
Torquay - Wright '85
Wrexham - AMS ' 84
Altrincham - Downes '82
Dover - Waters '84

AMS also scored in the 76th minute of the Southport game but that was the only goal we've scored so far between 75 - 80th minutes
Alf
If FGR are playing badly and still winning what will happen when they find a bit of form?
Robin
Alf wrote:If FGR are playing badly and still winning what will happen when they find a bit of form?
Same can be said for us, we are winning regularly without playing consistently well for ninety minutes.
Big eck
FGR are a big force now in this poor league they have
Woking away
Macclesfield away
Cheltenham home
7pts there
Playing fairly poorly but still wining
Good to see two local teams doing well
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:
Alf wrote:If FGR are playing badly and still winning what will happen when they find a bit of form?
Same can be said for us, we are winning regularly without playing consistently well for ninety minutes.
Yes, more to come from us and when we hit consistent form we should put a good long run together.
Robin
Big eck wrote:FGR are a big force now in this poor league they have
Woking away
Macclesfield away
Cheltenham home
7pts there
Playing fairly poorly but still wining
Good to see two local teams doing well
I'm pretty confident we will go there and win myself, we know we cannot allow them to gain a bigger lead if we want to win the title. Also it's quite likely there will be more CTFC fans than FGR so will be a home game for us almost.