Best win of the season

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Si Robin
Maybe not in terms of performance, but certainly in importance.

Fantastic result that.
London Exile
Agreed. Superb result against a strong Grimsby team.
We weathered the storm in the first half but second half I thought we gave a better account of ourselves.
Good noise from the away following too
Ralph
only the 2nd team to win there this season
Ralph
four different comments at least on the Fish forum that Gary out managed their guy.. how many years was it before we could say that?
Shade
I said a month ago I feared we'd be 5th or 6th by the end of this game/month, but we'll be second by a point at worst. Great effort. GET IN!
Reliant Robin
Immensely proud of the Lads wearing the Cheltenham (away) shirt for the Town tonight. I just hope a few more Cheltonians will show that same pride and start coming back through the turnstiles of their Football Club. We've got a great chance now, the next three games - which includes Forest Green - could even show some daylight between us and the chasing pack.
vickeryc
Reliant Robin wrote:Immensely proud of the Lads wearing the Cheltenham (away) shirt for the Town tonight. I just hope a few more Cheltonians will show that same pride and start coming back through the turnstiles of their Football Club. We've got a great chance now, the next three games - which includes Forest Green - could even show some daylight between us and the chasing pack.
Yeah, I would echo that. I also salute all those who travelled up there tonight to support the lads. A great effort - well done.
Hubert Parry
Agreed.

A fantastic result but I do feel that sometimes the result can influence the way supporters view a match more than it should. A couple of fans have already spoken on twitter about how 'every one of them' deserves the man of the match award. Hang on a minute, had Grimsby been awarded their blatant penalty or taken one of their many half chances in the first half, we could be getting the knives out instead. Fine margins and all that.

As results go, it is one of the best. However, I don't feel like we are a championship winning team at present. When we have pitted ourselves against FGRFC, Eastleigh and Grimsby, I have always felt that we were under the cosh for large chunks of the game and were second to every challenge. Hopefully we shall continue to grow as a team as the season progresses.
Robin
Sorry Hubert but that was never a penalty thought Grimsby edged the first half but we totally dominated the second they can have no complaints with the result.
stevej
Hubert Parry wrote:Agreed.

A fantastic result but I do feel that sometimes the result can influence the way supporters view a match more than it should. A couple of fans have already spoken on twitter about how 'every one of them' deserves the man of the match award. Hang on a minute, had Grimsby been awarded their blatant penalty or taken one of their many half chances in the first half, we could be getting the knives out instead. Fine margins and all that.

As results go, it is one of the best. However, I don't feel like we are a championship winning team at present. When we have pitted ourselves against FGRFC, Eastleigh and Grimsby, I have always felt that we were under the cosh for large chunks of the game and were second to every challenge. Hopefully we shall continue to grow as a team as the season progresses.
Don't p!## on our parade tonight, that was a great result , just enjoy it, top of the league, trying to be the voice of reason (you) is boring !
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Results are what matter - win games and you go up. We can say what we want about the performance, but at the end of the day it was good enough to win on the night. Can't ask for more than that.

On to Hartlepool now where I'd take another 1-0.
Hubert Parry
Never claimed to be anything but boring tbh
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ralph wrote:four different comments at least on the Fish forum that Gary out managed their guy.. how many years was it before we could say that?
My colleague and friend who supports Grimsby reckons a fish itself could out manage Paul Hurst - doesn't believe they will ever go up until he is sacked.
vickeryc
Instead of dwelling on Grimsby's shortcomings, why don't we rejoice In the fact that we have, by far, the best manager in this league and a fine/ improving team that is exceeding all expectations. Let's forget the minor negatives (there's always some) and celebrate that we're top of the league on merit.
Robin
Where are the idiots who wanted GJ sacked earlier in the season? In my view he is the best manager since SC and hopefully taking us to the title.
goalpost
A great result because of a couple of things

1st, When under pressure during the first half, the defence stood firm and if the forwards got past them, Dillon was again in great form

2nd, Gary realised the formation wasnt working, switched it and immediately, Cheltenham became a threat.

3rd, Cheltenham took their chance when it fell to Aaron in the box, the Grimsby players squandered there's

4th, Cheltenham rode their luck especially with the penalty, but next week they may not get the benefit of the doubt.

So enjoy the weekend, because performances tonight away at one of the top 3 teams in this league, prove one thing, Cheltenham have a squad of players who at last look like they want to play for the team and bring success to Whaddon Road again..
vickeryc
Robin wrote:Where are the idiots who wanted GJ sacked earlier in the season? In my view he is the best manager since SC and hopefully taking us to the title.
I totally agree. A fantastic appointment and probably the best manager below league one.
Ralph
Robin wrote:Where are the idiots who wanted GJ sacked earlier in the season? In my view he is the best manager since SC and hopefully taking us to the title.
people on the fish wondering what on earth he's doing with us. Too good for this league they say
Shade
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Ralph wrote:four different comments at least on the Fish forum that Gary out managed their guy.. how many years was it before we could say that?
My colleague and friend who supports Grimsby reckons a fish itself could out manage Paul Hurst - doesn't believe they will ever go up until he is sacked.
BT Sport were bigging him up before the match, and their lottery winning director reckons he's the best manager in the National League.
vickeryc
Let's pray we can hang onto him then.
Robin
Yet more negativity Vickery. I can assure you our board would reject any approaches for GJ they clearly recognise how well he is doing and the money on the table for promotion is so massive it would be suicide to let him leave. GJ has also proven himself loyal when at Yeovil and Bristol City when I am sure his success there would have generated interest from bigger clubs.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
BT Sport were bigging him up before the match, and their lottery winning director reckons he's the best manager in the National League.
Usual media bigging up Grimsby. No doubt they give him the credit for getting into play-offs each year even though a decent manager would have won the title three seasons ago.
Alf
Don't give a stuff about Grimsby. We had our own probs for past couple of seasons, I am now just enjoying what GJ has brought to our club.
As for the 'penalty' the ball fell onto the players hand, I am sure the ref knew it was in the box but felt he wasn't justified in giving a pen which is why he compromised with a free kick outside of the box. Good to see something go our way for a change.
vickeryc
Robin wrote:Yet more negativity Vickery. I can assure you our board would reject any approaches for GJ they clearly recognise how well he is doing and the money on the table for promotion is so massive it would be suicide to let him leave. GJ has also proven himself loyal when at Yeovil and Bristol City when I am sure his success there would have generated interest from bigger clubs.
If it sounded like negativity, it wasn't intended. Like you, I believe Gary is loyal, and the board must obviously realise that everything possible must be done to ensure he stays. I guess my comment was borne out of jaundice with what goes on in football generally rather than anything to do with our club.
Artemis
As Gary himself says, we haven't won anything yet, so for that reason he won't be leaving.